• Which balance/gameplay obstacles did you encounter while you guys were designing the game? Was it difficult? I know it’s very hard to create a balanced game. Most Axis and Allies games depend on the battle for Moscow but you seemed to have solved that problem. With Russia being a lot stronger the only way for the Axis powers to win is to grind and grab as much money as possible, and slowly kill the Russians in a war of attrition. What I do find strange (but there is probably a good gameplay reason for it), is that Japan is still very strong. Wasn’t it possible to make Japan weaker (like they were in real life) but still have a balanced game?

• 2024 2023 '22 '21

@victoryfirst

The Axis & Allies House Rules Expansion series have been under way for more than 25 years - the origins date back from 1993, inspired by Gamers Paradise.

So, yes - it was difficult - and hard. But is was also fun & challenging, which kept us motivated.

Concerning the Axis & Allies Global 1940 House Rules Expansion series as we know them today, they are all very well balanced.
    Even after hundreds of games, we’ve never experienced any unbalanced situations.

It is all up to each player - skills and ability are crucial factors in who wins and who loses.

The German & Italian offensive on the Eastern Front - with the goal of capturing Moscow - is still popular.

If Germany & Italy attack the Soviet Union in Late 1940 - goes strait towards Moscow - and mass produces units for the Eastern Front, there is a slight chance that Moscow will suffer extremely heavy casualties.

And if United Kingdom & Soviet Union don’t coordinate their effort in the defense of Moscow (including Lend-Lease), the Soviet Capital might even fall.

But this Axis strategy leaves Western Europe open for an early Allied (UK) landing - which might cause disastrous results for Germany.

Yesterday we experienced this exact Axis Strategy. One of these days I’ll post the Game Report with pictures - and you’ll see the result.

• @victoryfirst

Concerning Japan, it all depends on the US and UK strategy.

If UK sends units from Africa by Rail Movement to India, the United Kingdom can have at least 8 units in each round in India - fighting their way into China & Burma.

Combined with an increased US effort in the Pacific - backed up by small scale amphibious landings from ANZAC units, Japan will be very busy.

• 2024 2023 '22

@the-captain

Hopefully Japan can still hold out.

Anyways, I want you to release your game report, because I like reading them, but I can’t stand reading another Axis loss (which seems like it was). Please tell me Japan saved the game.

• @barnee

Due to massive Global 1943 Game PLay Testing with the new Combat Engineer unit and Desert Army formation, the United Kingdom Strategy Guide is not ready until next year.

Hopefully we’ll have it ready in January.

• @the-captain

Hopefully it will be early in the month!

• 2024 2023 '22 '21

The United Kingdom Strategy Guide has now been added to the Strategy Guide Global 1940.

• @the-captain

Awesome! Finally it’s here! Great!

• @the-captain How often do you see the USA using LCVs ?

• @barnee

This might be out of place but in Global 1940 Expansion Game Reports you mentioned a unit abbreviated as LM. Can you please tell me what that means? Thank you!

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

Do people ever not finish off the Axis in N Africa just so they can’t Take Over Italy ?

End USA 1.png

I wonder if the Axis just need to suicide attack to kill their dudes if the opportunity is there.

I guess if you have a trprt you can just evacuate if not blocked

• @barnee

The United States mostly use Landing Crafts when the D-Day is part of the UK & US Strategic Plans.

A massive Buildup then takes place in United Kingdom - and by Early 1944 or Late 1944 D-Day is launched.

Also, as part of the Home Defense in the Pacific, United States can stack a number of Landing Crafts in Western USA - for use against Japanese troops that might have captured Alaska.

• @barnee

Concerning the African Campaign, Germany & Italy should take advantage of every opportunity to clear Africa from own troops - if the German Take Over Of Italy is part of the Strategic Plan.

Even if this means suicide attacks against Allied forces.

@the-captain Typo in Japan Guide

and at the same time to protect the
    transport fleet the carries these troops.

Been a couple months since I did last '40 game. Figured I better brush up on the strats : )

Have you guys considered keeping Landmines secret ? Could show them in the TTy but write down on paper which border they’re on. Seems they get flanked mostly, unless a bottleneck.

They still force the enemy to move a certain direction though.

Edit
    I guess as long as I’m gonna be critical lol

• – if
      they were destroyed by US Forces, they should be
      rebuild.*
  • 2024 2023 '22 '21

@barnee

The idea with Landmines is to “force” the enemy advance in another - and longer - direction on the way to their Target.

In other words - you want the enemy to see the Landmines.

Should the enemy choose to pass through the Minefield anyway - well, then there will most likely be losses…

Concerning Submarines & U-Boats - we also play tested “Hidden Subs”.

It proved to be too time consuming to register all these movements - and most often it gave the German Kriegsmarine the upper hand.

The OOB Axis & Allies games are all based on complete visual troop placement & movement. This is part of the Basic Game Mechanisms.

So we chose to follow these same mechanisms - simply because players have countless new options whit the use of the Axis & Allies Global 1940 House Rules Expansion.

Well not to be overly critical but here’s a USA typo. I wonder if I was an editor in a past life ? lol Actually I just figure it’s best to point them out when i see them. I make way more errors than what you guys have in my Game Notes. Still fixing them to this day lol

so each of these two Nations
    agree which units must be send to the USSR

• @barnee

Okay - the text could leave out “each”… is that correct?

Remember, I’m from Denmark:relaxed:

• @the-captain sorry : )

Should be “sent” instead of “send”

Do you see Germany build an Air base in Romania often ?

• @barnee

Only when Germany wants to launch a massive Paratrooper attack into Southern Russia.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m