Adolf Hitler's 'lost fleet' found in Black Sea

• '11

It’s very interesting news and would be incredible if one of the U-boats was in good enough shape to possibly be raised. From my understanding there is only one U-boat left in the world that is displayed to the public and it is in dry dock. I think it would be amazing if a U-boat was made sea worthy again for studies. There are quite a few German tanks left from WW2 that are in working order and are used every year at various demonstrations throughout the world, why not a U-boat.

• '19 Moderator

There’s only one in the US, there are a few in Germany.  In fact the U-2540 was only decomisioned in 1982 as far as I know it could still work today.

• @dezrtfish:

There’s only one in the US, there are a few in Germany.  In fact the U-2540 was only decomisioned in 1982 as far as I know it could still work today.

Based on the ship number, I do not think that was a WWII era unit.

U-1062 was the highest number UBoat in WWII according to Hitler’s U-Boat War by Clay Blair.

• I was in error.

2540 was indeed completed, but never sailed on patrol, during WWII

And the above referenced book only covers through 1942.

My apologies.

• '11

Is the U-2540 still in the US? Or has it been shipped to another country for display or storage? I would love to visit the ship and get a small feeling for what life on board must have been like. I know for the movie U-571 a working WW2 era submarine was actually built for shooting. I am not certain of the model of sub it was based off of, does anyone know?

• '19 Moderator

The U-505 is the only German WWII German Sub in the US it’s in Chigago.

The 2540 is in Germany I believe.

• '11

Thank you. Hopefully I will be able to make it out to Chicago and check it out someday. I would really like to visit Germany and see the various places of battle, along with any other history preserved.

• Subs rule!  :wink:

• '11

They kick some serious butt.

• There is a correctly built model built by Bavaria Film Studios for Das Boot that was at one time and probably still open for tours. That model is for a Type VIIC. I am not sure if it was used for U-571 if it was that would be that movies ONLY redeeming quality.

• '19 Moderator

From what I have read the boat in U-571 was built for that movie.  There were actualy 5 subs built for Das Boot 2 full size and 3 scale models.  The scale models were used in Raiders of the lost arc.

• '11

Speaking of Raiders, I always wondered where Indy was hiding on the U-boat, after he swam to it. They show him on the deck of the U-boat and then you just see him on the docks of the U-boat pen. I’m probably too picky, but it would be nice to know what he did aboard the sub.

• '19 Moderator

There is a deleated sceen where Indy clings to the periscope of the submarine all the way to the secret base by wrapping his whip around it and himself.

• '11

That’s pretty crazy. I’m guessing that they never submerged, or the world would have been out an action packed, archaeologist. Do you know if that clip can be found online? I haven’t seen it in the Indiana Jones DVD box set.

• '19 Moderator

This is the best I can do for you I’ll keep an eye out though  :-o

• '19 Moderator

• A year since the last post

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m