• '17 Customizer

China chews through that Japanese 11 or 12 IPCs every turn with a few Japanese causalities and keeps all or a good portion of the planes occupied in China.  India can bounce their planes back and forth from China to SE Asia to assist the Chinese for defense (good portion of the critical parts of China 4 spaces away) and perhaps throw some troops in to boot.  It is just a meat grinder and bottomless pit for the Japanese.  Take French Indo, India, the islands…make up for that 11/12 $.  Keep the ANZACs at bay and maybe mop up the 5pt bonus islands (Solomans, etc.).  Keeping the US at bay, reducing threat from ANZACs and helping in Europe/Africa/Russia is better than endlessly feeding the Chinese whack-a-mole machine.  Trying to hold Hong Kong and Shanghai…will expend every penny there is.

Right, focus on the Europe side, push into Russia, Africa, Middle East.  Open to ideas on China though…just seems like it takes turn, after turn, after…to subdue them.  One can churn through a lot of IPCs and at the expense of much else.  By that time the Java, India, etc are reinforced, the ANZACs are on their way to a carrier or two, BB, etc.  I propose, perhaps, hold the high value coastal territories a long as possible with some infantry and a fighter or two but don’t push inland.  Control but do not try to eliminate the Chinese.

• '19 '17 '16

I normally limit myself to about four territories in China beyond starting until I take India. 5 if I decide to take chahar.

That way China are contained but not tying up too many resources.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

There are 10 seazones on the board, (DEI, coast of China, phillipines, and Japan) where Japan can be convoyed.

Meaning in general, you only need a handful of destroyers to keep them clear.  If you’re getting sub spammed, build destroyers and use your aircraft to clear these zones.  Even if you wanted to clear all of your zones, you would only need 10 destroyers to do so.

80 IPC’s is just over one average turn of income for Japan.

Playing it safe, I would say 2-3 destroyers near Japan, and 2-3 destroyers near Malaya, should give you all the coverage you need.

Remember that your opponent can only flood you, if you don’t have enough DST to counter attack most/all zones.

• '17 Customizer

All good considerations.  However, 80 IPC is after Japan has secured Asia, more like 40 or less early game.  Massive USA sub spam (12 per turn) begins turn 4.  By turn 4 (pre-war) there can already be 26 US subs spread across the Pacific then an additional 12 per turn (72 IPC/6) after that.  The USA can outspend Japan on subs vs destroyers and drag Japan down into just buying destroyers early game or for most of the game.  Not sure how Japan can get to 80 IPCs through conquest if they are buying destroyers every turn to make up for the losses.  And if they don’t buy destroyers then their fleet and convoy IPCs will suffer.  Also, to counter the subs Japan has to keep their aircraft on airbases/islands/etc.  That prevents much action in China/India.  Japan also has to keep the fleet in ports to rebuild BB and CVs or suffer true losses from sub attacks every turn.  If the ANAZACs build subs too then it is relentless and paralyzing.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

And why isn’t Japan attacking these massive stacks of subs that defend at 1 as they cross the pacific?

Japan Starts with 21 air, a handful of destroyers is plenty.  The subs can’t even hit your planes.

I’m not saying that super sub spam is unviable for USA, I’d need to try it,  but one dimensional strategies always have an appropriate response.

• If us builds 12 subs a turn axis strategy is simple.

No pressure on Europe means Germany Italy have less to worry about and can hammer Russia and UK. Plus eventual push into Africa.

Subs can only hit coastal areas. I would simply build enough factories to launch full scale invasion into heart of asia. It should be fairly easy to mop up china and then knock the russian back door in.

If US gets the upper hand in naval raiding i would snipe those lone subs defending on 1s with bomners and destroyers.

• '17

I can see this strategy as being a problem for Japan. Everyone knows that Japan is easier to shut down than Germany.

I’d imagine a grand US fleet with some transports to take Calcutta followed by a supporting carrier fleet from ANZAC and planes on the Carolines’ Airbase. From that point, subs can go to the coastal territories while close to their US coast supply point.

Not sure on the timetable of when US sub swarms need to be hitting to effect Japan in time. Obviously there are so many variables in this game which are effected by dice outcomes.

Also, I don’t think people just buy only subs kind of like the misconception that Dark Skies “means” just buying bombers when it’s more like buying 8 Mech 2 bombers per turn rather than 4 tanks 8 mechs.

• Sub spam certainly isn’t just buying subs.  Just having an additional 5 subs per round can cause huge headaches for Japan.  They get distributed in easy-to-counterstrike seazones.  Sure, Japan could take them out with five destroyers, but most or all of those destroyers get killed in retaliatory sub+plane strikes during the Allied turns.  Japan will struggle to find factory space to make five ships a turn, unless they are willing to lose yet another destroyer/round to ship block subs that are based in Pearl Harbor.

If Japan has to spend 40 PUs/round to limit the distributed subs, plus perhaps another 14 PUs/round to retake a Money Island that is captured by an ANZAC raid, that does not leave enough income to press an attack to India or contain the Chinese rebellion that is brewing in the mainland.  I am not saying that the USA sub strat is uber powerful or necessarily the best option, but don’t trivialize the difficulty for Japan to respond.

• '17 Customizer

Bomber Harris - exactly…there isn’t enough Japanese IPC to build enough destroyers every turn to counter.  The US simply can out produce.  Even if it is just few turns it bogs Japan down and gives China, India and the ANZACs to build up a little defense or offense.  The US is versatile enough that it can very quickly shift to the Atlantic if necessary.

• '19 '17 '16

Where are USA planes hitting SZ19 coming from/landing?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m