Sea Units Starting in Hostile Sea Zones

• Hello,

The rules give the following example:

For example, an enemy may have built new sea units in a sea zone where you have ships.

I am trying to make a complete list of the situations when a player starts the Combat Move in a Sea Zone with enemy units:

• Just after war declaration (can be any Sea Units on both sides, but happens only once in the game)
    • with a submarine that was attacked during enemy turn (alone or as the only survivor of a bigger fleet) and managed to submerge.
    • with a submarine or a naval transport that were ignored during enemy Combat or Noncombat Move.
    • with any ship and an enemy submarine that attacked and submerged, OR moved into during Noncombat Move (this doesn’t make the Sea Zone hostile and thus doesn’t allow to move to a friendly Sea Zone during Combat Move)

Do I miss anything?

Thanks

• @Azimuth

There is this weird situation that in the base game if the Anzac declare war also UK-pacific is @war with Japan without declaring war on its turn.
    So the UK kan move any sea unit into a Japan fleet and then the anzac can declare war and on japan next turn those fleets are hostile to eachother.

This also removes the option to load transports as japan didnt declare war itself.

Its caused because the UK can effectivelly declare war on japan outside its normal turn.

• @Azimuth

Submarines don’t really count because of their different rules, meaning they don’t necessarily make a sea zone hostile in the same way that the example in the rules and declarations of war do.

The submarine situations generally only apply if there opposing side has a destroyer.

• @shadowhawk Thank you!

This is one of the reasons I don’t really like games with politics, because it creates or allows “weird” situations and tactics that hamper (to my very personal opinion) the relative “purity” of the game’s mechanics.

The reason why I asked this question is that I am struggling a lot when playtesting my custom map on TripleA with some of these “side” rules. Meaning that I can create very rare situations that my game cannot handle . So trying to go deeper in the rules to understand when these kind of situations may happen (with the hope to find ways around). Currently, the problems are with:

• Players starting with enemy sea units in the same sea zone (what I asked above)
    • transport starting the turn already loaded (and on my way I seem to have discovered a bug in TripleA with them)

@SuperbattleshipYamato fully agree about subs, but they are part of my headache as well, hence the mention

Anyway, just sharing.

Thanks!

• @Azimuth

You’re welcome! Let us know if you have any questions. I recommend asking

@Panther and @Krieghund since they are the most knowledgeable on these topics.

• @Azimuth

Politics are fine in the game, its just that this is a bit of a weird situation in the base game. Where some countries are linked but both can declare war.
    Basically UK-Pacific breaks the rules by declaring war after their turn iso at the start of the turn.

If you want to work with politics its easy to make it stable.
    There are only 2 ways to go from neutral -> War.
    A : you declare war, after the start of the turn but before movement.
    B : your enemy declares war on you.

As long as you follow those 2 rules you cannot generate weird situations.

This way you cannot start with enemy warships in the same SZ because either they attacked you on their turn and well 1 side doesnt survive, or you are still neutral at the start of the turn so they are not hostile.
    And since loading of transports is checked at the start of the turn not start of the move your safe.

• @shadowhawk

Also if the Axis doesn’t declare war on the US, since the US declares war at the end of turn 3.

• @SuperbattleshipYamato

True, for the US its also breaking the general rules, but they are not allowed to move on the map. So that adds other complexity

Just keeping to my 2 simple rules causes no issues. Would even work with the base game without big issues except the 35ipc bonus the US gets round 3.

• @shadowhawk

Agreed.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m