Axis and Allies 1914 FAQ/Question and Answer Thread

• I just started playing 1914 and had to accept another player’s interpretation of the rules to keep the game going.  He claimed if you attacked from a tt, every unit located in the tt had to attack or move to another tt.  None of the original units in the tt could stay behind.  I think he got that from p 17. “When attacking, all units in the space belonging to your power must attack”.
    Are you allowed to attack a hostile tt with some of your forces and leave some behind?

Another point of contention comes from p 15. If you move all of your units out of a contested territory and leave only units from the other side there, the other side will immediately claim the territory (see “Taking Control of a Territory”, page 20). If the territory was originally controlled by a power on the other side, that power will take control (even if it has no units present). …
    They are arguing that you must leave a garrison in every conquered tt, or it will revert to it’s original owner.  I contend the sentence is still dealing with contested areas only, and the only space you have to leave a garrison is for the CP in shared tts you want to still be able to move through.
    Do you have to leave a garrison in every hostile tt you conquer?

Why bother leaving a CP inf in shared tt unless you wanted a footpath to Sweden or Mesopotamia?  It seems a waste of manpower.

I am enjoying the game so far, but the last 2 times played I was constantly getting 1 hit on 6 defenders die.  Can’t win that way.

• Official Q&A

@Barindo:

I just started playing 1914 and had to accept another player’s interpretation of the rules to keep the game going.  He claimed if you attacked from a tt, every unit located in the tt had to attack or move to another tt.  None of the original units in the tt could stay behind.  I think he got that from p 17. “When attacking, all units in the space belonging to your power must attack”.
    Are you allowed to attack a hostile tt with some of your forces and leave some behind?

Sounds like your friend is confusing moving and attacking, which are not the same thing.  Units move from one territory to another, then they attack in the contested territory.  The restriction is that all of the units in the contested territory that belong to you power must attack, not that all of the units in the territory that they moved from must attack.  In other words, what happens in the combat phase has nothing to do with what happened in the movement phase, other than you are required to attack after you move into a hostile or neutral (not previously contested) territory.

@Barindo:

Another point of contention comes from p 15. If you move all of your units out of a contested territory and leave only units from the other side there, the other side will immediately claim the territory (see �Taking Control of a Territory�, page 20). If the territory was originally controlled by a power on the other side, that power will take control (even if it has no units present). …
    They are arguing that you must leave a garrison in every conquered tt, or it will revert to it’s original owner.  I contend the sentence is still dealing with contested areas only, and the only space you have to leave a garrison is for the CP in shared tts you want to still be able to move through.

You’re correct.  It clearly says “contested territory”.  It also says “and leave only units from the other side there”, which is hard to do if there are no units from the other side there.  :-)

@Barindo:

Do you have to leave a garrison in every hostile tt you conquer?

No.

@Barindo:

I am enjoying the game so far, but the last 2 times played I was constantly getting 1 hit on 6 defenders die.  Can’t win that way.

We’re glad you like it!

• Hi,

if i attack a submarine , when does the defending submarine decide to submerge ? after the attacker dice is roll and he sees if it will be hit or not, or before i roll the attacker dice ?

• @surfnrat:

Hi,

if i attack a submarine , when does the defending submarine decide to submerge ? after the attacker dice is roll and he sees if it will be hit or not, or before i roll the attacker dice ?

Subs submerge before dice are rolled (if they are going to submerge). Once they submerge they don’t roll dice in the battle (you can’t roll and submerge at the same time, you have to do one or the other). In this game a sub that submerges is subject to enemy fire and can/will be taken as a casualty after it submerges (for that round of the battle only). Once a sub submerges it can’t re-enter the same fight, and couldn’t be hit in later rounds of the same battle.

• Can enemy ships move from one enemy mine sea zone to another?  Making this a rule fixes the Baltic problem.

Secondly, how does Russia and France build ships? They can’t place those naval units. Indirectly does this mean they cant build naval?

• You can build ships at any naval base you own.

• ok thanks

• Customizer

What are you on about? Haven’t you played the game?

You can build naval units at any home naval base still controlled or contested. It doesn’t have to be adjacent to the capital.

You can’t build navy at a captured naval base, ever.

• I know, just making sure ( we had arguments so i wanted to be clear)

What about the sea mine thing? Can you move from one enemy sea mine to another?

• Customizer

Yes.

In the tourney rules, you have to stop when entering an enemy mined zone, but you can move from there to another next turn.

• Subs don’t 1st strike in the 1914/WWI game, correct?

• Official Q&A

Correct.

• hello me and my friends are going to get a game goiing this weekend and i was wondering, if Germany captures Moscow, or forces revolution does this disable the russian minefields or do the CP’s have to occupy the territory wich contains a naval base? thanks

• Official Q&A

The capture of a power’s capital has no effect on the operation of its minefields.  They will function as long as the territory containing the naval base is not controlled by an enemy power.  If the Russian Revolution occurs, Russia is neither friend nor enemy to any other power, so its minefields will no longer affect any power.

• thanks for the speedy and very helpfull answer krieg

• What happens to colonies of minor powers when they are attacked?

eg.  If Germany attacks Angola, does Portugal join the Entente?  or…If Germany attacks Portugal, does Angola join the Entente?

• If France moves into Spanish Morroco on Turn 1, no units activate, since it’s a colony, correct? I’m pretty sure the answer is yes but just making sure.

• Two additional questions :

1). If Britain moves into Belgium Congo on Turn 1, does Britain get the IPC’s or does France, since Belgium is a Minor Aligned Power w/France? Pretty sure Britain gets the IPC’s but want to make sure.

2). If Britain moves into Portugal E. Africa on Turn1, does Britain get the IPC’s or does France, since Portugal is a Minor Aligned Power w/France? Again, pretty sure Britain gets the IPC’s.

Thanks!

• Official Q&A

@Tarkin:

What happens to colonies of minor powers when they are attacked?

eg.  If Germany attacks Angola, does Portugal join the Entente?  or…If Germany attacks Portugal, does Angola join the Entente?

Nothing happens.  Colonies are independent territories from the capitals of their minor powers.

@Commando:

If France moves into Spanish Morroco on Turn 1, no units activate, since it’s a colony, correct? I’m pretty sure the answer is yes but just making sure.

Correct.

@Commando:

1). If Britain moves into Belgium Congo on Turn 1, does Britain get the IPC’s or does France, since Belgium is a Minor Aligned Power w/France? Pretty sure Britain gets the IPC’s but want to make sure.

2). If Britain moves into Portugal E. Africa on Turn1, does Britain get the IPC’s or does France, since Portugal is a Minor Aligned Power w/France? Again, pretty sure Britain gets the IPC’s.

Britain takes control of the territories and gets the IPCs.

• Do defending artillery in an amphibious assault always hit on a three or less during their first dice roll, or is that increased to a 4 if they have air superiority?

Also, those first hits by defending artillery DO NOT get to roll dice when the attacker rolls correct?  Hits by battleship bombardment DO get to roll defensive dice right?

Thanks!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m