If you already have AA50 and Revised, what's the point of buying AA1942?

• I’ve been asking myself if it is worth getting it, if you already have Revised and AA50 - if you have the rules you can simply use the gameboard from Revised and the units from AA50 to play the 1942 version:

• Regarding the map, you’ll need to remember that there is Iceland and Formosa and that C. US now links to E. Can instead of W. Can. But those 2 islands should be as relevant as Greenland is.
    • Most people dislike the Revised map because of its colours. I prefer it exactly because it is easier to figure out the territories, with the exception of Germany. Also the AA50 map already looks a little out of proportion between continents and AA42 is even worse.
    • The new sculps are the Russian naval units (as we all know those get a lot of use… their awful look must be to discourage players from buying them) and the German cruiser (which looks nice). The allied artillery has a few modifications but it’s basically still the same for R/UK/US.

So, is there really a point to get AA42 just because of the map (which can be replaced with Revised) and the German cruiser?

• @Hobbes:

I’ve been asking myself if it is worth getting it, if you already have Revised and AA50 - if you have the rules you can simply use the gameboard from Revised and the units from AA50 to play the 1942 version:

• Regarding the map, you’ll need to remember that there is Iceland and Formosa and that C. US now links to E. Can instead of W. Can. But those 2 islands should be as relevant as Greenland is.
    • Most people dislike the Revised map because of its colours. I prefer it exactly because it is easier to figure out the territories, with the exception of Germany. Also the AA50 map already looks a little out of proportion between continents and AA42 is even worse.
    • The new sculps are the Russian naval units (as we all know those get a lot of use… their awful look must be to discourage players from buying them) and the German cruiser (which looks nice). The allied artillery has a few modifications but it’s basically still the same for R/UK/US.

So, is there really a point to get AA42 just because of the map (which can be replaced with Revised) and the German cruiser?

Its kinda funny….but no.

Besides, in less than a year, you will have the game that will “replace” anniversary, the combined AA40 E&P games. Larger than large…

• well, there is the WOTC decoder ring packaged in AA42 that is the real reason to get it.  without it you won’t be able to get info from WOTC about new releases until  right before it comes out…

• @LuckyDay:

well, there is the WOTC decoder ring packaged in AA42 that is the real reason to get it.  without it you won’t be able to get info from WOTC about new releases until  right before it comes out…

Just get it because it’s AA!  I hate the map but love the new sculpts (yes, others may disagree but compared to what they had previously, it’s great, it feels heavy and better quality).  I consider it as a cheap investment in pieces.

I plan to use IL’s big map printed and laminated as the map instead of the game board.

• I buy two copies of AA42. Use the pieces for AA50 (replace all except the Italians and the nifty Hellcat fighters for USA)

These pieces are nice.

I have some tricks to offer you people, but you will have to PM me to get the answers.

Anyway the AA42 pieces to me are nicer and worth going to target. Buy at least one of these games to support the cause.

god its only $29.99 at target right now. you could have it in an hour, but look on line first to check inventory of store near you.

• I purchased AA42, Revised was actualy my first purchase but when I found out that target was selling them right now I immediately jumped on the prospect of picking it up, so I have to thank IL for that otherwise I would have never known they had it.

I’m new to Axis and Allies, always knew the game existed but never really bothered to pick it up and play til now, and let me say I regret that, but glad I found it later than never picking it up at all.

I bought Revised and played a couple times, when I found out there was going to be a version coming out that had another naval piece (cruiser), I was excited, because that meant more flexibility with naval units, plus, I use my Revised pieces that use the same sculpts as extra pieces (unfortunately Russia doesnt exactly use the same naval sculpts, but I guess they don’t really use a navy too often anyway), plus I use the grey and red chips from Revised in case we ever have too many large stacks sitting in areas, I guess I always like to have extra pieces, especialy in war games.

Also, I like the new board, I don’t know why, between Revised map and AA42 (and only those two, I’ve seen other maps and I’m sure there are more amazing ones out there but these are the only two I OWN), I like the AA42 map and the inclusion of the National production on the board. It just looks like a real map, the only problem I have is maybe china and russia should have a few borders redone, but I overlook it when I’m playing anyway so it’s not like it detracts from my gaming enjoyment. The only issue I had is that between Revised and AA42, the unit costs and values are on the board instead of the cards…thats what I liked in Revised, because me and my friends are all new players and we’re still learning what everything does, but I guess now I have them all pretty much memorized now and is a slight annoyance for first timers who don’t know what everything does and have to look across the board, veterans wouldn’t be bothered by this I suppose and most veterans own AA50 anyway, too bad they don’t have that version available now though, my Italian GF would jump on the opportunity to play this game as the Italian faction, right now she just watches the games and supports my Germanic ways (though I am Polish myself and avid world war II history and modern european history “fan” so I enjoy playing all factions).

The dice look…ugly…I don’t like the red, I like the Black/white dice from Revised, call me traditional.

Battleboard and casualty zone not as “big” as Revised, but honestly, once it gets to the defenders turn to roll, when do you need a casualty zone for the attacker anyway? I don’t see a problem with it, it has every bit of information you need to do a battle.

This is just coming from someone who has just recently started playing, take it for what it is worth, but I just wanted to say I’m glad I picked up ANY version of this game and thanks again to IL for opening my eyes towards Target, I drove 30 miles to pick up my copy of AA42 because of him.

• @Imperious:

I buy two copies of AA42. Use the pieces for AA50 (replace all except the Italians and the nifty Hellcat fighters for USA)

These pieces are nice.

I have some tricks to offer you people, but you will have to PM me to get the answers.

Anyway the AA42 pieces to me are nicer and worth going to target. Buy at least one of these games to support the cause.

god its only $29.99 at target right now. you could have it in an hour, but look on line first to check inventory of store near you.

But if you wait and get the new Europe and Pacific then you’ll have these pieces to replace the ones on AA50. Specially the Italian navy ones, which are the worst on my AA50 edition and AA42 doesn’t have Italy.

$29.99 is cheap for a game if you live in the US, it will be more expensive for people who live elsewhere. As a comparison…AA50 cost about $75 when it was released, cost me about €100 or more than 120 bucks where I live, but it was well worth it.
    Right now I simply don’t feel that paying the equivalent to $50 (based on the previous pricing) for the units. The 1942 map doesn’t appeal to me and, other than the combat strips (which look interesting - I liked the sytem used on Bulge) there doesnt seem to have anything else (no money, no charts)

• This is just coming from someone who has just recently started playing, take it for what it is worth, but I just wanted to say I’m glad I picked up ANY version of this game and thanks again to IL for opening my eyes towards Target, I drove 30 miles to pick up my copy of AA42 because of him.

WOW. Thanks alot! :-D

The price is fair and you get it right away and no shipping.

Sounds like a win win.

Now you can print out my mega map for AA42 and not have any problems with the small OOB map.

• @Imperious:

This is just coming from someone who has just recently started playing, take it for what it is worth, but I just wanted to say I’m glad I picked up ANY version of this game and thanks again to IL for opening my eyes towards Target, I drove 30 miles to pick up my copy of AA42 because of him.

WOW. Thats alot! :-D

The price is fair and you get it right away and no shipping.

Sounds like a win win.

Now you can print out my mega map for AA42 and not have any problems with the small OOB map.

True but would it be possible to make the borders in Europe more defined, at my age, my eyes aren’t that good!  Just a thought IL!  Still awaiting my tips!  :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

• +1 karma to theloof for driving 30 miles to pick up AA42.

• I took a look at your map IL, its very nice, the only question I have is….how do I print it out to use it in a game?

• set printer to tile it. for some printers its called poster print.

other than that you print each sheet on 8.5x11 pages on decal paper (about .40 cents each) and lay them on a thin wooden board. its not hard. This technique will involve some cutting

• @Imperious:

set printer to tile it. for some printers its called poster print.

other than that you print each sheet on 8.5x11 pages on decal paper (about .40 cents each) and lay them on a thin wooden board. its not hard. This technique will involve some cutting

Hmmm, Staples sells something called “sticker paper”, wonder if thats somewhat the same, I’ll have to do some homework on that, and then after I figure that out it’s a trip to home depot…thanks a bunch IL, I foresee my games getting much more fun with a larger map.

• Anyone wanna send me their useless Units? I’m paying for them lol :D

• any decal thats 8.5x11 will work. Look online and buy them cheaper. the map is like 72x36 so figure how many you need…probably 40?

• It is not worth getting without Italy.  Italy has set the standard now.  Its not a real A&A game without it.

• exactly.

• @manincellv:

It is not worth getting without Italy.  Italy has set the standard now.  Its not a real A&A game without it.

Yes. Italy is awesome.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m