• @LuckyDay:

If Germany had still been in the war in August '45, then it would have been Berlin burnt to a crisp…

Agreed, but London would have been toasted first if Germany had gotten the A-bomb first, and then where would the US have based its A-bomb bombers?

• OK, if you think A-bombs are too powerful, how about this: Splitting A bombs between tactical and strategic use.

Personally, I don’t like this idea, since there really is no difference between tactical and strategic nukes.  There is no way you can avoid civilian casualties.  Still, here it is.

Strategic Atomic Bomb Drop

Works like SBR, only the entire IC and AA is removed.  All other effects still apply.

Tactical Atomic Bomb Drop

Remove all combat units.  All other effects still apply.  
    *If you still think this is too powerful, roll 3 dice and remove number on the dice.  
    **Still not satisfied?  2 or 1 die, d10, whatever floats your boat.

• Yes, atomic bombs should NOT be used in naval battles, and their main use should be against ICs, but I think that there could have a tactical use, so here are my thoughts.

Against ICs:  roll 3 d6 - that many damage counters are applied to the IC of which 1 is a Permanent Damage Counter which reduces the maximum production value of the territory by 1.  (The territory may never have more than half (rounded up) as many Permanent Damage Counters as the IPC value of the country.

Against units:  Roll 1d6 - that many units are destroyed.  {More than half (rounded up) of the units in the territory may NOT be destroyed by 1 Atomic bomb in this way.}  This use can only be used in straffing attacks.  i.e. You can’t do this along with land units attacking a territory.

• Upside-down_Turtle
     there really is no difference between tactical and strategic nukes.  There is no way you can avoid civilian casualties.

First of all that is not ture in the least, tactical nukes have a yeild anywhere from 1-100 kilotons of TNT, and stratigic can be over 10 megatons. In a war today tac nukes could be used in certain situations with out directly causing civilian cauaslaties.

but for our purposes that does not really matter, because a-bombs were not going to get much more poweful than 20-kilotons and ones dropped on Japan were 14 kilotons, so in world war 2 there would be no difference between tactical and stratgic nuclear weapons

and just to give you guys a little more perspective, the  March 9/10 1945 fire bombing raid on Tokyo killed over three times as  many people as the Nagasaki atomic bomb attack

These are the rules i suggest after you research the a-bomb

they cost 12 IPCs and you can only build one a turn.

they can be used in a stratigic bombing raid and dropped by a heavy bomber, they cause 1d6 of permenent damge and 3 D6 of temporary damage.

A heavy bomber can also use it in a regular  battle(land or naval) where it rolls 3 dice and each die hits on a 4 or less. however if an atomic bomb is used in a land battle the combat round after the bomb is used the attacker must retreat unless he has destoryed all of the defenders.

• @Emperor_Taiki:

@LuckyDay:

one city, quarter-million dead,

What?, less than 200,000 combined

yes, and your point being…?  the population density in Moscow was higher than in either of the 2 bombed cities

@Emperor_Taiki:

The complete devistation blast radius of a Fat Man fiisson bomb is 2 miles in all directions. In 1950, Moscow covered 386 square miles. So one bomb would have taken out the kremlin plus a good part of central moscow, but much of the population, industry and infrastucture would have remained intacted. Even after a few more bombs moscow would still be inhaitable and war production could still continue. On top of that there are many cities in an A&A region and so it requires a good amount of a-bombs to destroy all that.

2 miles in all directions is 16 sq miles (but we’ll take only 2 miles total for this instance).  New York, which is larger than Moscow, had 2 buildings destroyed in 2001 and the entire city shut down in mass panic and hysteria for what about a week plus.  Imagine that multiplied to 2 miles or (16-half the entire size of Manhattan), plus taking out the not only the leadership of the city, but of the nation itself, plus a radiative cloud orbiting the city, sweeping across it and depositing fallout on everyone and everything in it’s path.  Now imagine the mass hysteria and panic that would ensue with the communication abilities and technology of that day with that kind of a disaster?
    Exactly how much of that capacity to produce weapons and goods and services will really be able to continue when they have no leadership and their neighbors are dying from radiation burns all around them?

The US picked it’s bombing targets in large part to what hadn’t been firebombed, like Tokyo, to get a handle on the true magnitude of the bombs.  The horrific devastation that was seen in those two target cities would only have been magnified in a larger urban setting .

@Emperor_Taiki:

and just to give you guys a little more perspective, the  March 9/10 1945 fire bombing raid on Tokyo killed over three times as  many people as the Nagasaki atomic bomb attack

that’s an apples to oranges thing–neither of the cities bombed was the size of Tokyo.  The bombs took out half the population of those cities immediately, with much of the rest dying with months from radiation or days from fire/exposure.  A bomb to Tokyo would have had a much larger toll simply based on the larger population.

@Emperor_Taiki:

In 1950, Moscow covered 386 square miles.
    In addition SAC preformed drills on atomic bombers crews that revealed a number of promblems with delivering a-bombs accuartly
    and in the case of moscow, the soveit union distorted maps of the country to confuse invaders, so it is not inprobable an a-bomb attack ordered  on moscow would miss the target completely.

Just for kicks, how does one miss a city of 386 square miles completely…?

I would think that a atomic bomb should be used against industrial capacity and not in combat, who wants to send in troops to fight where you are nuking people?  Like sending  the cavalry in while continuing to fire with the archers.
    12-15 ipcs per bomb, 1 per round. requires heavy bombers
    roll 3d6, taking 2 highest as immediate loss to IPCs in hand and the third die being permanent damage to IC’s production
    Example–roll 3d6= 2, 4, 6.  4+6 for 10 IPC damage immediately and 2 for permanent damage (-2 capacity each turn)

I think bomb units should represent 1 bomb, or if 2, i would change to 4d6 above.  one bomb will allow bombs to be used, but not necessarily be an immediate game breaker, while 2 could have a devastating enough effect to possibly end the game, ie, 6 days for Japan to surrender.  Given that a number of techs would have to be researched this would allow for later game development anyhow when it could have a scale-tipping effect anyhow.

• @LuckyDay:

@Emperor_Taiki:

@LuckyDay:

one city, quarter-million dead,

What?, less than 200,000 combined

yes, and your point being…?  the population density in Moscow was higher than in either of the 2 bombed cities

I beleive you were talking about the bombs dropped on Japan, so the point is that what you said was wrong, :wink:

@LuckyDay:

@Emperor_Taiki:

The complete devistation blast radius of a Fat Man fiisson bomb is 2 miles in all directions. In 1950, Moscow covered 386 square miles. So one bomb would have taken out the kremlin plus a good part of central moscow, but much of the population, industry and infrastucture would have remained intacted. Even after a few more bombs moscow would still be inhaitable and war production could still continue. On top of that there are many cities in an A&A region and so it requires a good amount of a-bombs to destroy all that.

2 miles in all directions is 16 sq miles (but we’ll take only 2 miles total for this instance).  New York, which is larger than Moscow, had 2 buildings destroyed in 2001 and the entire city shut down in mass panic and hysteria for what about a week plus.  Imagine that multiplied to 2 miles or (16-half the entire size of Manhattan), plus taking out the not only the leadership of the city, but of the nation itself, plus a radiative cloud orbiting the city, sweeping across it and depositing fallout on everyone and everything in it’s path.  Now imagine the mass hysteria and panic that would ensue with the communication abilities and technology of that day with that kind of a disaster?
    Exactly how much of that capacity to produce weapons and goods and services will really be able to continue when they have no leadership and their neighbors are dying from radiation burns all around them?

The US picked it’s bombing targets in large part to what hadn’t been firebombed, like Tokyo, to get a handle on the true magnitude of the bombs.  The horrific devastation that was seen in those two target cities would only have been magnified in a larger urban setting .

terrorism is not modelled in A&A, you should compare A-bomb destruction to that of other bombing raids since they are very  similar and show up in A&A. Also modern war econamies are very different from World War 2 era war econamies so the above point is just not relavent.

@LuckyDay:

@Emperor_Taiki:

and just to give you guys a little more perspective, the  March 9/10 1945 fire bombing raid on Tokyo killed over three times as  many people as the Nagasaki atomic bomb attack

that’s an apples to oranges thing–neither of the cities bombed was the size of Tokyo.  The bombs took out half the population of those cities immediately, with much of the rest dying with months from radiation or days from fire/exposure.  A bomb to Tokyo would have had a much larger toll simply based on the larger population.

sure, and the hills in nagasaki also reduced damage, but let me ask you this. How many people do you think would have been killed in a Tokyo attack, lets go crazy and say a quater-million would have been killed. But thats only one bomb? a group of bombers can attack repeatedly over the course of the 4-6 month turns, and in each night they firebomb a city the size of tokyo they kill half as many people as in the atomic attack

All i am saying is that regular stratigic bombing  is not so different than atomic attacks

@LuckyDay:

@Emperor_Taiki:

In 1950, Moscow covered 386 square miles.
    In addition SAC preformed drills on atomic bombers crews that revealed a number of promblems with delivering a-bombs accuartly
    and in the case of moscow, the soveit union distorted maps of the country to confuse invaders, so it is not inprobable an a-bomb attack ordered  on moscow would miss the target completely.

Just for kicks, how does one miss a city of 386 square miles completely…?

that is my point, you could miss a whole city, even one as big as moscow. crazy right. :-o
    All it takes is one of the bombers to get lost and you have lost a fourth to a half  your payload, depeding on whether it is 2-4 bombs in an attack.

@LuckyDay:

I would think that a atomic bomb should be used against industrial capacity and not in combat, who wants to send in troops to fight where you are nuking people?  Like sending  the cavalry in while continuing to fire with the archers.
    12-15 ipcs per bomb, 1 per round. requires heavy bombers
    roll 3d6, taking 2 highest as immediate loss to IPCs in hand and the third die being permanent damage to IC’s production
    Example–roll 3d6= 2, 4, 6.  4+6 for 10 IPC damage immediately and 2 for permanent damage (-2 capacity each turn)

I think bomb units should represent 1 bomb, or if 2, i would change to 4d6 above.  one bomb will allow bombs to be used, but not necessarily be an immediate game breaker, while 2 could have a devastating enough effect to possibly end the game, ie, 6 days for Japan to surrender.  Given that a number of techs would have to be researched this would allow for later game development anyhow when it could have a scale-tipping effect anyhow.

my reasoning behind the 2+ number is that in the one an only nuclear campaign two bombs were used, and if we are limiting a bombs to one bein gbuilt every 4-6 months, and there was a game of A&A that had battles take place hisotrical, then there would have to be bombs built in what would be 1944

anyways we really dont have any differences in terms of the way we think stratigic attacks should be carried out

my main point is that although i think you should be able to use a-bombs against ground units, i just dont think is should be cost effective.

• @LuckyDay:

2 miles in all directions is 16 sq miles (but we’ll take only 2 miles total for this instance).

no, it is 12.56 square miles. so that means it would take just under 31 A-bombs to compeletly destroy Moscow(I said almost fifty earleir so I correct myself), of course that is assuming none of the bombs miss or land on same spot. But even then you have only destroyed one of the cities in the Russia region.

• Personally, I see no reason why A-bombs can’t be used in naval battles.  Yes, ships can split up, but so can land units.  That’s why a dice roll and not a complete wipe is probably better in both cases.

On the not of civilian casualties, there is this little thing called the Jet Stream.  Nuclear fallout is going to kill and poison people way outside the blast radius, no matter how “small” in kilometers it may be.

• look at the bikini atomic test results. Thats the only time they bombed a navy of sitting ships, and these were closely packed in. IN normal fleet movements they sail in different groups and not one big happy target of 50 warships packed in a 5 mile radius.

• Yes, but land units would be much more spread out as well.  Once that first tactical nuke gets dropped on a tank formation, unless the generals are stupid, you want everyone spread out and in heavy camouflage.  Concentrations would be no larger than a battalion.  A company would be ideal.  Gone are the days when whole divisions are given a single strategic objective.

• IN AA the pieces are ARMY level which is 3-5 corps, which is 3-5 divisions each, which is ect…

These are spread out like 20-100 miles and A bombs don’t have a kill zone of 100 miles.

IN AA naval ships are 4-25 warships depending on type.

Look at Midway and show how one bomb is gonna effect all the ships in these various task forces.

• @Imperious:

IN AA the pieces are ARMY level which is 3-5 corps, which is 3-5 divisions each, which is ect…

These are spread out like 20-100 miles and A bombs don’t have a kill zone of 100 miles.

IN AA naval ships are 4-25 warships depending on type.

Look at Midway and show how one bomb is gonna effect all the ships in these various task forces.

You make your points very well, and I can’t argue with them.  Still, based on what you said about land units, shouldn’t A-bombs then be unable to affect land units as well, or should it simply be an instant kill of 1 unit of your choice?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the Nova edition A-Bomb wiped out all units in any territory.  I like this idea.  Yes, it is devastating, almost to the point of being unrealistic (depending on how many actual A-bombs are represented by 1 A-bomb piece).  But I think that’s how an A bomb ought to be in an AA game.  Yes, it’s kind of a game ender, but it ought to be.

Besides, with my rules, I could imagine myself as Germany, US gets a nuke, and thinking of ways to deal with it.  I can still shoot bombers down with fighter intercept and AA.  Yes, I’m still effectively screwed, but that’s OK.  It’s kind of fun that way, and very challenging as well.

Which brings me to another point.  If a game does have nukes, wouldn’t the optimal US strategy be to “Turtle Up” and simply research nukes?  Heck, that’s what I would do.

• For this reason i dont see the A bomb as a ‘tactical nuke’ I do like the NOVA games idea because its a cool thing to just blow up all the stack with one bomb.

I view these weapons as production killers which wipe out the IPC ( one die is permanent loss)

and 3 dice or 3 dice is one turns loss.

I prefer this:

1 dice normal bomber

2 dice heavy bomber

3 dice heavy bomber dropping a bomb and 4th die is permanent damage.

cost is 15 IPC carried by HB.

If you have to make a rule that these weapons can attack land targets then you do this:

roll 4 dice total = ipc in pieces lost.

example: you roll 18 total on 4 dice, and 6 infantry are gone.

This makes it more value to use against production targets, because you get one die that has lasting effects.

• For me, it’s just simpler to blow up the whole stack  :-D

• @Upside-down_Turtle:

For me, it’s just simpler to blow up the whole stack  :-D

thats not history and thats not strategy, so for me it would not be fun

• @Imperious:

If you have to make a rule that these weapons can attack land targets then you do this:

roll 4 dice total = ipc in pieces lost.

example: you roll 18 total on 4 dice, and 6 infantry are gone.

This makes it more value to use against production targets, because you get one die that has lasting effects.

I like the strategic bombing rules

but although  atomic weapons are not the perfect ship killer, they would be much better against ships than ground units, if each ground unit represents an army then even four atomic weapons are going to have a pretty hard time of even destorying one of them.

What i suggest is a heavy bombers can choose to drop it in any combat round. The bomber rolls four dice and they hit on a four up. However after you drop a bomb in a land territory the battle has to immeditly stop and after the defender returns fire, the attacker must retreat unless he has killed all the defenders.

This is close to history and add strategy, what more do you want?

• @Emperor_Taiki:

:roll:…I want to blow up the whole stack  :-D

• @Upside-down_Turtle:

@Emperor_Taiki:

i understand  :lol:, but you should understand that that these weapons were  not capable of that.

• LOL. I like to blow up the stack too, but its so unrealistic that it makes the whole game look totally ridiculous.

If you do four roll hitting at 4 or less, you will have very few combat loses ( 4 infantry=12 ipc vs. 15 ipc cost)

What was wrong with total dice = enemy unit IPC value destroyed?

• @Emperor_Taiki:

@Upside-down_Turtle:

@Emperor_Taiki:

i understand  :lol:, but you should understand that that these weapons were  not capable of that.

Alright, how about a new tech:

Accidental Dice Throw
    A giant die falls from the heavens and wipes out all units in a territory.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m