• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

It seems to me that within three rounds of play it’s decided who will win in this version of the game.

Either the Axis get hammered by strong defenders, or they’re in a position to dominate forever.  Just my opinion so far, only half a dozen games completed, one of which is my infamous Italy 100+ IPC income game (which had to be orchestrated with my partners), but it just seems it all comes down to the first few rounds of the game.

• Yup, in the several games that we’ve play thus far, thats how its gone-usually with the Allies conceding after a few rounds and then starting anew.  We’ve made a pact to play it out next time though to see.  I think when you’re playing a very aggresive KGF and all out Nazi tank blitz, its bound to make for a quick game, one way or the other.  I’d love to mix it up, but that seems to be the best strategy we’ve found, and habits die hard.

My group hasnt been playing all that long though, so I have a couple of questions:

1)  Can the Allies usually hang it up if Moscow falls?  I know it all depends on what the board looks like, but is it uncommon that Berlin actually falls after Moscow?  We’ve quit several games after the fall of USSR, even as Allies had an established foothold in Europe; albiet nothern Europe.

2)  Do most of you play with Victory cities?  We dont, but it seems like that might really alter our playstyle. ie …force players to distrube forces and utilize more of the map, instead of the all out G/R blitz.  When playing with victory cities, I’m assuming the same rules apply though, when a capital is capured……transfer of IPC’s and all that jazz?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

When you need 15 VC to win, one side seems to give up long before that number is reached.

I’ve also never seen Berlin or Moscow fall, usually one side concedes first.

Anyway, wondering if we need to buff the Russo-German boarder a bit, make the game harder so it lasts more than 3-5 rounds?

• i’ve played a game of '41 where the victor was not certain after 3 rounds. but i can see what you all mean

my group generally stops playing after someones capital has been taken. mind you, in the game i mentioned above, Japan and Moscow fell on the same round. so we kept playing until Germany took UK

• are you playing with the same group of people each time, or is the pool of players otherwise small?

• 6 players, each playing a different nation each game we play. i don’t know of any other people who play the game in my area

• Our Allied wins have been quick - usually within the first 3 turns or so its pretty obvious. Our Axis wins have been MUCH longer games. Usually the Axis wins are much more of an attrition grind it out affair. We’ve only just started winning with the Axis though and part of the longer game time might be attributed to us become more skilled at the game and not making costly mistakes.

• The majority of the games have been like that. There were one or two where it took a bit longer to tell. That is the real problem with A&A in general. Taking Russia out is pretty much the only reliable way to win for the Axis. If you do not do it in time then Germany gets stomped and Japan can do nothing else.

• @Insta_AxE_Toast:

The majority of the games have been like that. There were one or two where it took a bit longer to tell. That is the real problem with A&A in general. Taking Russia out is pretty much the only reliable way to win for the Axis. If you do not do it in time then Germany gets stomped and Japan can do nothing else.

Same KGF/tank dash to Moscow game again?

I am holding out hope (still) it is not that.

• it’s not the end if Germany takes Moscow. i’m sure many games may end with that, but if USA can take Japan around the same time or soon after, or if the UK defeats Italy, or there’s a combined allied attack on any of the Axis, then all is not always lost

it really just comes down to each individual game. they’re all different

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m