Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB

• TripleA Manual Gamesave Post: Russians round 3

TripleA Manual Gamesave Post for game: World War II Global 1940 2nd Edition, version: 4.0

Game History

Round: 3

Purchase Units - Russians
            Russians buy 13 infantry; Remaining resources: 0 PUs; 

Combat Move - Russians
            1 infantry moved from Novgorod to Baltic States
                  Russians take Baltic States from Germans
            1 infantry moved from Novgorod to Karelia
            1 infantry moved from Novgorod to Vyborg
            1 fighter and 1 tactical_bomber moved from Novgorod to Karelia
            1 fighter moved from Novgorod to Vyborg
            1 submarine moved from 125 Sea Zone to 126 Sea Zone
            1 mech_infantry moved from Caucasus to Iraq
                  Russians take Iraq from Neutral_Axis

Combat Hit Differential Summary :

Savegame

• Here comes the initial suggestion.

Purchase 13 inf.

Conquest Iraq.

Kill tr.

Grab Baltic.

Attack Karelia and Vyborg.

Still no italian can-opener active. Have to consider building 3 inf in Leningrad instead of Stalingrad. The longer Russia may deny Germany Leningrad, the better, unless it’s too costly regarding the defence of Moscow.

• The plan is to leave a blocker in Belarus and continue the home-marsch for the eastern troops.

• I’m eager to do the turn, but will try to hold for 12 h.

An alternative idea is to move down the air in order to be able to help out in Calcutta. If they’re in Moscow the Allies need a Neutral Crush this turn for the air to be able to land in Calcutta before J4. Not sure it’s worth it.

• An alternative is to kill the tr with the tac, but I prefer having better odds killing off the german inf in Karelia than the convoy disruption. The UK-sub may also go to z125.

• Should’ve moved the UK-des to z123, maybe with a fig support.

• @trulpen I assume the plan with the Atlantic allies is to stack Gib and 91. I suspect a turtling Russia and that is probably the right move. But it is worth considering if the Atlantic allies have any different options and if that changes what Moscow can do. Hypothetically, the British air in London can reach Vyborg and Karelia. Does this give you an option of committing more Soviet land units to taking Vyborg and Karelia and then holding them for a turn . US transports off Iceland could also threaten Norway (they can from Gib too but he just needs to build a destroyer to block it). He would have a hard time holding both Norway (from the US) and Finland (from the Soviets) and you have just created a route to getting the 6 air in London to Moscow in time.It may be a mistake to pull the UK air away from the N Atlantic but I think it would be something to consider.

• @farmboy said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

@trulpen I assume the plan with the Atlantic allies is to stack Gib and 91. I suspect a turtling Russia and that is probably the right move. But it is worth considering if the Atlantic allies have any different options and if that changes what Moscow can do. Hypothetically, the British air in London can reach Vyborg and Karelia. Does this give you an option of committing more Soviet land units to taking Vyborg and Karelia and then holding them for a turn . US transports off Iceland could also threaten Norway (they can from Gib too but he just needs to build a destroyer to block it). He would have a hard time holding both Norway (from the US) and Finland (from the Soviets) and you have just created a route to getting the 6 air in London to Moscow in time.It may be a mistake to pull the UK air away from the N Atlantic but I think it would be something to consider.

To be clear, I would definitely take Gib this turn, but the question would be whether I also want to send the air to Karelia and also whether it is worth moving some US transports and naval units to iceland

• @farmboy said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

@trulpen I assume the plan with the Atlantic allies is to stack Gib and 91. I suspect a turtling Russia and that is probably the right move. But it is worth considering if the Atlantic allies have any different options and if that changes what Moscow can do. Hypothetically, the British air in London can reach Vyborg and Karelia. Does this give you an option of committing more Soviet land units to taking Vyborg and Karelia and then holding them for a turn . US transports off Iceland could also threaten Norway (they can from Gib too but he just needs to build a destroyer to block it). He would have a hard time holding both Norway (from the US) and Finland (from the Soviets) and you have just created a route to getting the 6 air in London to Moscow in time.It may be a mistake to pull the UK air away from the N Atlantic but I think it would be something to consider.

That’s actually a cool idea! Stacking a bit in Karelia. What I can see G can only hit it with 5 inf, 1 fig, 1 tac.

Lets say we build 3 mech in Leningrad. That would take out Finland easily. The income-boost next turn would be 5. We lose some spice though for the defence of Moscow, but with extra figs from the other Allies it may very well be worth it. They may even support a stand in Bryansk, which would be swell. Haven’t calculated yet what the situation there will look like for G5.

Figs are however clearly needed in the Atlantic as well.

Conquering Gibraltar is essential, as is having a strong enough fleet in z91. I’m looking at perhaps swinging over some of the US-fleet back to the Pac, now that Axis evacuated the key spot. It slugs around, takes forever to get into play again, but hey, mission accomplished! :grinning:

We definitely don’t want to get thin on the defense of all those transports. However, the luftwaffe is heading east, relieving the pressure to the west. The Allies enjoy that very much indeed.

• @trulpen said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

@farmboy said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

That’s actually a cool idea! Stacking a bit in Karelia. What I can see G can only hit it with 5 inf, 1 fig, 1 tac.

Lets say we build 3 mech in Leningrad. That would take out Finland easily. The income-boost next turn would be 5. We lose some spice though for the defence of Moscow, but with extra figs from the other Allies it may very well be worth it. They may even support a stand in Bryansk, which would be swell. Haven’t calculated yet what the situation there will look like for G5.

Figs are however clearly needed in the Atlantic as well.

Conquering Gibraltar is essential, as is having a strong enough fleet in z91. I’m looking at perhaps swinging over some of the US-fleet back to the Pac, now that Axis evacuated the key spot. It slugs around, takes forever to get into play again, but hey, mission accomplished! :grinning:

We definitely don’t want to get thin on the defense of all those transports. However, the luftwaffe is heading east, relieving the pressure to the west. The Allies enjoy that very much indeed.

His bombers can reach too so it probably means you have to commit most of that air to keep it safe. But his German air is otherwise out of place to discourage the Atlantic fleet so you have some freedom there. You mostly just have to worry about the bombers and that sub, assuming you can stack both Gib and Morocco so that the Italians can’t take a landing spot. Probably not worth sending anything up to Iceland as a result but you can force him to build a destroyer if he wants to keep the N Atlantic safe. The odds on Moscow look to me to be around 90%+ in turn 6 assuming efficient air buys by him. Probably you have enough UK air in Persia to rescue Moscow then. But I’m estimating and if I have that wrong, the air stack in Karelia would add insurance.

• I’ll make an alternative setup for Russia. I’m starting to think that this is our best bet to avoid Crushia. Invest some to put pressure on and destroy the northern contingent, thereby gaining income for Russia and denying Germany income from both Leningrad (although not likely to hold, but then G all of a sudden has to focus valuable resources north instead of east) and hopefully also Norway. That’s a 23 IPC-swing (11 for G, 12 for R).

G can’t start to build a shitload of fleet, so I’d say that Norway is lost for them. One way or another.

• Also Japan might mess with the ability of the UK to support Moscow from Persia

• If we lose one inf in Karelia, we need 5 figs in there. If we don’t, 4 will suffice. I’d say it’s worth it. Germany denies us our precious NO anyway, so that’s not a bother.

• With 3 extra mechs on the attack, G has to land extra air in there for Finland not to be crushed. They’ll be a little displaced, but not so much since G wants to pressure R anyway.

• Not sure the mechs are worth it. Maybe just go with 13 inf instead, but build 3 of them in Leningrad?

• On the other hand, all air (except bombers) that stay in Finland, won’t be able to pressure Bryansk. Perhaps 1 inf is a small price for that benefit?

• TripleA Manual Gamesave Post: Russians round 3

TripleA Manual Gamesave Post for game: World War II Global 1940 2nd Edition, version: 4.0

Game History

Round: 3

Purchase Units - Russians
            Russians buy 9 infantry and 3 mech_infantrys; Remaining resources: 0 PUs; 

Combat Move - Russians
            Turning on Edit Mode
            EDIT: Turning off Edit Mode
            1 infantry moved from Belarus to Baltic States
                  Russians take Baltic States from Germans
            1 infantry moved from Novgorod to Vyborg
            2 armour, 2 infantry and 1 mech_infantry moved from Novgorod to Karelia
            1 fighter and 1 tactical_bomber moved from Novgorod to Vyborg
            1 fighter moved from Novgorod to 126 Sea Zone
            1 mech_infantry moved from Caucasus to Iraq
                  Russians take Iraq from Neutral_Axis

Combat Hit Differential Summary :

Savegame

• This is the alternative take. More aggressive. Me like.

We only have a few hours left to decide. Be here or be square.

• The fig could of course take part in the attack of either Vyborg or Karelia, but I find both those battles secure enough and like that the sub still convoy disrupts G.

• @trulpen @trulpen I would probably go with inf (and not in Leningrad). I think Moscow will still be a near thing and you may lose much of the defensive advantage you gain by bringing the air if you do that. You may not be able to grab Finland after but he does get put out of position and you are in better shape to take Norway after with the allies on subsequent turns.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m