What percentage is luck involved in a games outcome?

• Boring tends to win… Most of the time.

• Good… then a working definition of Skill would be “that thing that would need less Luck” ??

• 2007 AAR League

Skillful play == play that bores your opponent into making a mistake.  :evil:

• Skillful play means play that forces your opponent to TAKE RISKS in order to try to keep from losing.

Dice tend to even out, so the player that relies on them the least will USUALLY win.

• 2007 AAR League

@ncscswitch:

Skillful play means play that forces your opponent to TAKE RISKS in order to try to keep from losing.

Dice tend to even out, so the player that relies on them the least will USUALLY win.

Skillful play can also force your opponent to not make any moves or retreat b/c they are exposed to unacceptable risk if they do. Of course, not moving, or retreating, can carry its own risk, even if it avoids any dice.

• @Baghdaddy:

Skillful play == play that bores your opponent into making a mistake.   :evil:

for some reason war of attrition popped into my head as i read that.

• I have won several games by boring my opponent with my moves so that they “forced” a battle to try to break things open, and thus lost.

• 2007 AAR League

all depends on the opponents number 1.

if 2 opponents are about equal then I would say 1-4 games out of 10 games “Luck” may have a serious impact on a game.
    it’s a part of the game.

@ncscswitch:

I have won several games by boring my opponent with my moves so that they “forced” a battle to try to break things open, and thus lost.

Boring my opponent is a favourite of mine with the allies :), sometimes Lady Luck doesn’t always go your way when the opponent is forced to make a move and you think it is in your favor but that’s what makes Axis and Allies a fun game.

• :-o
      This thread has been very edjucational, witty and sometimes boring, ( I laughed and I went to sleep).
      What I got out of the original Query was this; In my opinion, what % of games I played do I think the die results were the determining factor as to the outcome of the game. Because I can only view this from one viewpoint; Mine :roll:
      So, my gut feeling was about 70% of the time, when I felt I was playing those of rather equal experience, and sharing comparitively the same statregy concepts.
    Luck builds on itself. A little here a little more there, and if it is good to one player more than the other, it will decide the outcome.
    But we play on, hoping it will smile on us again, and we can be the master once more :wink:
      All in all, we don’t rely on the luck as much as try to learn to be better players, introduce a new winning strategy and all the AA world will beat a path to your gameboard and try to counter it.
    Play on my gaming friends, damn the luck, cause if it wasn’t for bad luck, I wouldn’t have any at all :cry: or; my strategies suck :|
      I look forward to meeting some of you in the gameroom,
      Crazy Ivan
      By the way, can anyone tell me how to get there from here?

• You can’t.  Because once you are there, you are here.  :evil:

• @Crazy:

Very simple

add a “T”.

• @axis_roll:

@Crazy:

Very simple

add a “T”.

Lol.

That sure would make working in the “IT” department a lot more interesting.

• ttt

• @newpaintbrush:

@axis_roll:

@Crazy:

Very simple

add a “T”.

Lol.

That sure would make working in the “IT” department a lot more interesting.

@axis_roll:

ttt

No, that would be the TIT department, not the TTT department.

• To answer the topic title, too much if played with reg dice.

Lowluck is the name of the game.

• 2007 AAR League

Good lord this is still alive? I have written so much here.

Okay. Read the question, it says, “All things being as equal as possible regarding player skill, what percentage does luck influence the outcome of the game”.

The answer to this question really depends on whether there is any factor aside from luck and skill that affects the outcome. The question effectively defines a scenario where skill will not make any difference between the players, because the players are “as equal as possible” in that regard. So the game CANNOT be decided to any significant degree on the basis of skill, because it is equal.

I guess the other problem with the question is what is meant by luck. Obviously dice are part of luck, but there may be other factors in luck. If you miss something on the map, is that luck or is that skill? Are there other ways that luck can enter the game.

I think however that the question means dice when it says luck, and assumes that dice and skill are the only two factors. Logically, when you neutralize one of the two factors, the outcome will be decided 100% by the other factor.

Eg. suppose you are playing chess, or NO LUCK A&A (hits determined completely according to punch / 6, rounded). Then there is no element of luck, so skill makes 100% of the difference.

However, players of equal skill playing chess against each other will not always tie. Since there is no question of luck (or is there?) you have to say that the winner in each game played more skillfully than the loser. The fact is that we do not play with a 100% consistent level of skill. Some days you are on the ball, others you are not. So then are you lucky if you happen to be “on” on a given day, or are you “more skillful”?

The question is not sufficiently defined to be capable of a meaningful answer.

• Ticky tack!  You guys are so nit picky.

The Spirit of the question was to try to see how much the luck of the dice is involved in a games outcome.  I tried to eliminate the element of difference in skill levels between players to more isolate the issue of dice ‘luck’ versus dice averages.

Hence the caveat:

“All things being as equal as possible regarding player skill…”

We are not using any imperical means of measurement here.  I am not trying to find how many standard deviations exist in Axis and Allies or other statistical measures of dice.

There is no right or wrong answer.

I guess maybe there is no way to properly ask this question.

• To me, the timing of key dice can make a huge difference in a game.

Two examples in my last game of war:

SZ59, UK1.  DD on Tpt.  DD misses, tpt hits.  HUGE!

statistically, this is not outside the realm of possibilities.  I’ve seen this happen before, I am sure it will happen again.

On defense, the allied player rolled 100% hits on defense against Germanys 2nd round attacks.
    2-for-2, 3-for-3, 2-for-2.

Again, statistically, this is not outside the realm of possibilities.  I’ve seen this happen before, I am sure it will happen again.  But also, again, HUGE in terms of the battles in which these occured.

THIS is the sort of thing I am looking for….

Thanks! :mrgreen:

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I like Switch’s comments.  Too bad he hasn’t taken his own advise much in our game.

Anyway, yes.  The trick is always to get your infantry stack to be attacked by the enemy.  Attacking infantry miss, ALOT.  Defending infantry miss, a little.  If the odds are skewed in a battle, odds are, the defenders are going to skew up in number of hits and the defenders will skew down in number of hits.  I cannot prove this mathematically, I can only tell you from gut instinct and from personal experience.

The second trick, of course, is to get your opponent to commit armor in battles where it will be left exposed.  Much harder to do, unless, of course, Germany throws their Airforce away in a bad series of battles and is left with little or no choice to use their armor. =)  Sorry, inside thing.  He’s recovered, but I will rib him for it regardless.

The third trick is to tempt your enemy to attack a weaker stack so as to pull his defenders away from your prize.  Sometimes this works.  For instance, if Japan garrisons Persia lightly so as to pull the Kazakhian and Caucasian armies down to Persia and secure Novosibirsk and then attack Russia (since Persia is 2 turns away for any infantry to get to Russia.)  Another good option, doesn’t always work either.  Problem here is factoring in what your enemy’s airforce(s) and army(s) can do to stop you.

The last trick, and the most prevellant and boring, is the infantry push mechanic.  As long as you out produce your enemy in infantry and armor you can eventually stack up enough that he cannot stop your forward momentum (save a miracle) and thus you win.  This is the most sure fired way to win the game since the only defense to this is building more units then your enemy.  (In which case, it’s the same tactic, in reverse.)

• Hmm… I have not taken my own advice…  Then why oh why am I ahead in our game :?

Seems to me you made a MASSIVE error when you strafed Caucuses, and lost 2-to-1…  With my defenders kicking the snot out of your 23 attacking INF…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m