France and what should be done about it.

• @oztea:

Fight again?
    Much of that was courtesy of the US and UK, who provided the free french with weapons, food, ammunition, armor, transportation, etc.

When France eventualy was liberated they only served as a reserve to the US and UK during the push into the Rhine

France resisted occupation, but they did so underground.

Not so fast.

The legendary 2nd French Armored Division, after the Liberation of Paris, fought in the tank battles in Lorraine, destroying the German 112th Panzer Brigade at the town of Dompaire on 13 September 1944.

Subsequently, the 2nd Division operated with U.S. forces during the assault into the Vosges Mountains. Serving as the armored exploitation force for the U.S. XV Corps, the 2nd Division forced the Saverne Gap and thrust forward boldly, unbalancing German defenses in northern Alsace and liberating Strasbourg on 23 November 1944. The Presidential Unit Citation was awarded to the Division for this action.

Fighting in Alsace until the end of February, 1945, the 2nd Division was deployed to reduce the Royan Pocket on the western coast of France in March-April, 1945.

After forcing the Germans in the Royan Pocket to surrender on 18 April 1945, the 2nd Division crossed France again to rejoin the Allied 6th Army Group for final operations in Germany. Operating with the U.S. 12th Armored Division, elements of the French 2nd Armored Division pursued the remnants of German Army Group G across Swabia and Bavaria, occupying the town of Bad Reichenhall on 4 May 1945.

Eventually, the 2nd Division finished its campaigning at the Nazi resort town of Berchtesgaden in Southeastern Germany.

At the end of the campaign in northwestern Europe, the unit counted 1,687 dead, including 108 officers, and 3,300 wounded. It had killed 12,100 Axis soldiers, captured 41,500 and destroyed 332 heavy and medium tanks, 2,200 other vehicles, and 426 cannons of various types.

Also, can’t forget the Colmar Pocket in 20 January and 9 February 1945, where the French First Army and the U.S. XXI Corps overwhelmed German Nineteenth Army resistance in bitter, extremely cold winter fighting over terrain that offered practically no cover for attacking forces. French casualties were  13,000, US 8,000. Germans lost 22,000,probably high as 38,500.

Supplied by the Allies? Yes. As a reserve? Not the French First Army, the 2nd French Armored Division, or the FFI fighting scattered German remnants in France.

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

UN Spacy - Nice screen name! I should have went with RDF…

• Customizer

I’d like an option to add our own national flags to our on-screen profiles like on BGG.  I get confused when people talk about when “we” invaded Poland…

• by “we” you mean the Germans right?

• @idk_iam_swiss:

by “we” you mean the Germans right?

Being as this is a WWII forum, I am going to go out on a limb here and say, “Yes, he is talking about Germans.”

• @Brain:

@idk_iam_swiss:

by “we” you mean the Germans right?

Being as this is a WWII forum, I am going to go out on a limb here and say, “Yes, he is talking about Germans.”

Could be Russians.

• @Flashman:

I’d like an option to add our own national flags to our on-screen profiles like on BGG

Agreed

• @i:

@Funcioneta:

@Flashman:

I’d like an option to add our own national flags to our on-screen profiles like on BGG

Agreed

yeh!

Just use a flag for your avatar.

• you people overcomplicate things.
    The way the rules are is the way they stay! please! I don’t wan’t to have to learn a new set of rules every time.
    It’s great to add powers and intrigue, but please, you overdo it

I am sorry for the above grammatical/spelling/capitalization mistakes

• @Croesus:

you people overcomplicate things.
    The way the rules are is the way they stay! please! I don’t wan’t to have to learn a new set of rules every time.
    It’s great to add powers and intrigue, but please, you overdo it

I am sorry for the above grammatical/spelling/capitalization mistakes

We don’t make any changes, we only make suggestions.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m