• Yea i like your concept. they look like a tower. nifty!

I really love the Italian fighters.

• I like the Italian fig.  and the idea of the nut for the AA guns…
    it would help keep track of the original owners for the few AA guns that can change between players

• Thank you Captain Kiwi for inspiring us all!  I absolutely love your painted playing pieces.  It adds a whole new element to the game.  I too will make an attempt to do my own operation paintskrieg.  About how long did it take you to do this? Plus one for you this wonderful art work that you have shared with us.

• @miragehunter:

Thank you Captain Kiwi for inspiring us all!  I absolutely love your painted playing pieces.  It adds a whole new element to the game.  I too will make an attempt to do my own operation paintskrieg.  About how long did it take you to do this? Plus one for you this wonderful art work that you have shared with us.

Funnily enough the timeline is quite trackable by posting dates on this forum. I think i kicked off about 1 March and finished 31 July. I was only painting while I was watching TV in the evenings (Most shows i can paint and listen to and get 90% of whats going on). The easiest thing to do is set short goals. I did each nation one at a time and tried to get a certain amount done each week. Three weeks per nation seems about right, 1 week for infantry, 1 week for air and land units, 1 week for the fleet is how it worked out.

Several times i thought “Yikes, ive got so much to do still!” and thought i wouldn’t get through it. The key was having something else going on to keep your mind from going mad. I suggest old TV shows you love running in the background. (If NZ Comedy central didn’t play 5 episodes of south park back to back on Saturdays this would never have got done)

• Reno 911 is my favorite for “doing other work while watching TV”

• Truly beautiful work you’ve done.

• Very nice work indeed. I’m jealous, if I had the time I’d love to paint all my sculpts.

More pics would be great. I’d like to see more closeups of the various theaters.

Just curious, what’s with the Chinese setup?

• @Rammstein:

Very nice work indeed. I’m jealous, if I had the time I’d love to paint all my sculpts.

More pics would be great. I’d like to see more closeups of the various theaters.

Just curious, what’s with the Chinese setup?

Next time i set the game up ill take some more snaps

As for China, we changed the setup after China got wiped off the board in j1 5 games in a row. Our setup is 1 china infantry per territory, and move the fighter back 1 territory. China also gets 1 infantry per 2 territories controlled rounded up.

China still gets wiped off the board, but usually not until j3 now.

• hey j, next time you set your board up, either 41 or 42, could you take a pic of that and post it.  everything looks great, but i was wondering what it would all look like setup.

k

• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

Nice job!
    What infantry and bases did you use?

• @coachofmany:

Nice job!
    What infantry and bases did you use?

Ummm?

The infantry from Axis and allies 50th anniversary edition? It’s just the regular game models painted, nothing more. Oh, and some flock PVA’d to the bases.

• Captain Kiwi, are you familiar with Testors paints?  When I was a kid I use their paints for my plastic models.  I was wondering if that was a good set to use as an economical choice.  Those paints that you were talking about sound expensive.  Thanks again for sharing your lovely art work with us.  Oh by the way I remember seeing someones painted playing somewhere else and they used decals on their big ships.  The AC’s and the BB’s had them I think.  I cant remember where I came across them.  Do you or anyone know where those kind of decals can be obtained?  Thanks

• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

Now you just need one of IL’s nice maps to put your painted AAA figures on!

• @coachofmany:

Now you just need one of IL’s nice maps to put your painted AAA figures on!

That would be both epic and cool……

I will be looking into it  :-D

• @miragehunter:

Captain Kiwi, are you familiar with Testors paints?  When I was a kid I use their paints for my plastic models.  I was wondering if that was a good set to use as an economical choice.  Those paints that you were talking about sound expensive.  Thanks again for sharing your lovely art work with us.  Oh by the way I remember seeing someones painted playing somewhere else and they used decals on their big ships.  The AC’s and the BB’s had them I think.  I cant remember where I came across them.  Do you or anyone know where those kind of decals can be obtained?  Thanks

Sorry my friend but i’ve never heard of testors paints. Any acrylic paint should be fine though.

As for an economical option, I have no idea. In NZ we have limited amounts of suppliers due to our small market size. I got the only supply of WWII paints i could find. Transfers, again I only used what was in store, or painted them on myself by hand.

Sorry I cant help more

• Thanks for the info. I guess I take things for granted living in the states.

• @miragehunter:

Thanks for the info. I guess I take things for granted living in the states.

Heh, at least you didn’t ruin a TV series ending for me  :-D

Some people forget that stuff screens in the US before it does overseas sometimes. We had to wait 4 months for the end of Battlestar Gallactica. Spent quite some time avoiding forums due to that

• Hey Captain Kiwi, how about painting my pieces? You said you like to paint, am I right? I would be your BFF

• @Brain:

Hey Captain Kiwi, how about painting my pieces? You said you like to paint, am I right? I would be your BFF

hehehe, got a spare 1000 bucks :)

When i consider the time it took to do, i think thats about the right amount to charge if I bill myself at 15-20 bucks an hours  :-D

• Hi

I love the finished product you have created. It’s inspiring.

Could you please post more pics of the fully set up board, closeups and the 42 setup would be great.

What did you use to prop up your planes? Could you explain the process you used.

Thanks

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m