How to use America effectively in KGF?

• Agreed Mr. Frood. When I overbuild transports, it’s never primarily because I intend to throw them away. I might be forced to if the enemy is taking a risk and succeeds. I usually try to overbuilds transports to the point where the Luftwaffe just go “eff it, too many of the buggers” or “damn, even if I did land a few hits, it wouldn’t interrupt their shuck at all because they could just lose the extra tran and sub and absorb a hit on the BB…wahhh!!” and don’t attempt to attack, which means some IPCs saved on building a carrier/using fighters to guard, and also the force multiplier thing is awesome, as well.

As far as taking hits on trans, it really has to do with how hard the enemy dice hit, and also if the opponent was being technical about battles or not. If the dice hit hard, you’re just going to have to take it on tran, because otherwise your entire navy will be wiped out the next round at little cost. But if the dice hit average or light, you can lose the extra tran and maybe one of your dest so that your shuck isn’t interrupted at all, and rely on average rolling to kill enough attackers to discourage future rounds of attack.

Technically defenders have to choose casualties before rolling defense, but some people might be lazy and roll both at once so you have the advantage of knowing how the battle came out, which makes it a little easier to assign casualties.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Tri:

Instead of using the American BB as a bodyguard for your transports in SZ 8, why not put a destroyer in there (or two destroyers) and use the battleship a little closer to the front lines where it’s 16 inch guns can play tag with the enemy?

• Yea good point, just sometimes it’s annoying to maneuver the BB because it’s usually lagging behind your “forward” fleet.

Okay.  Then put your transports in SZ 2 and put your battleship and destroyers in SZ 4. :P

• @trihero:

Yea good point, just sometimes it’s annoying to maneuver the BB because it’s usually lagging behind your “forward” fleet.

If your BB is lagging behind the rest of your fleet, then you are not deploying your BB correctly, IMO.  A BB without transports is quite possibly the most useless piece on the board.

• 2007 AAR League

@Gamer:

@trihero:

Yea good point, just sometimes it’s annoying to maneuver the BB because it’s usually lagging behind your “forward” fleet.

If your BB is lagging behind the rest of your fleet, then you are not deploying your BB correctly, IMO.  A BB without transports is quite possibly the most useless piece on the board.

I think it’s just in the first few turns, because the BB is coming from the Pacific.

That’s how I read it, yea.

SZ 55 to SZ 20
    SZ 20 to SZ 10
    SZ 10 to SZ 12

Funny thing is, by the time the US Battleship makes it on station, the entire British fleet can be unified in home waters. :P

• Funny thing is, by the time the US Battleship makes it on station, the entire British fleet can be unified in home waters.

I guess that means that it takes too long to rely on it for protection for your forward fleet =P

• @trihero:

Funny thing is, by the time the US Battleship makes it on station, the entire British fleet can be unified in home waters.

I guess that means that it takes too long to rely on it for protection for your forward fleet =P

If by “forward” you mean the British fleet, then yeah.  I would say that’s fairly obvious.  I thought you were referring to the American fleet, in which case, the BB will be there in plenty of time to help when it really matters.  The first few turns, you need to work with the British, but after that, the American fleet can range on its own.  Not a big deal, really.

@trihero:

Funny thing is, by the time the US Battleship makes it on station, the entire British fleet can be unified in home waters.

Are you referring to the usage off the Coast of Africa? (I’ll assume yes, because it’s the only scenario I can think of where you’d need an American Battleship without the British presence at any given German turn.)

That’s why I say spend about 3 rounds stacking Africa.  Russia is more then capable of defending itself for 3 rounds.

• 2007 AAR League

But what does Russia do when it needs help AFTER round 3 and 3 rounds of American units are doing donuts in the Sahara.

IMO Africa can kill the Allies as much as help it if they over-commit more units than are justified by the IPC value of the territories. I like when the Axis are able to draw off a huge Allied force for a few rounds just by having 2-3 units tooling around Africa.

Round 1: England/America in Algeria
    Round 2: England/America in Algeria and Libya
    Round 3: England/America in Algeria and Libya and Egypt
    Round 4: America in Algeria, England in Norway; England/America in Libya and Egypt and Trans-Jordan
    Round 5: America in Algeria, Libya; England in Karelia (or Norway/Archangelsk if Germany moves into Karelia); England/America in Egypt and Trans-Jordan and Persia
    Round 6: America in Algeria, Libya, Egypt; England in Karelia; England/America in Trans-Jordan, Persia and Caucasus

At least how I see it.  Obviously Germany could devote a lot of effort into North Africa to stall the allies but round 4 is when England shifts north so that they can lend direct assistance while American focuses on Persia to stop the Japanese infection of the middle east.

• 2007 AAR League

I have played the axis far more than the allies for some reason, but I prefer to get help to Russia ASAP, esp. w/ UK. That means keeping Germany busy in Karelia / Belo / WRus with UK forces, relieving some of the pressure from Russia, which after all only has 2 fighters with which to trade territories with the Germans AND the Japanese. This allows Russia to focus on Ukraine and Caucasus, which dead-zones Persia, keeping Japan at bay a bit longer in the south.

By your example above, by Round 4, only the first set of American units have made it to Trans-Jordan. If Russia needs help after Round 3, those troops are still some distance away, and in all probability that first wave has taken some hits from a few German units encountered on the way, or they will have waited a turn to let reinforcements catch up.

They could be in Karelia by round 2, going the northern route, enabling the Allies to make it expensive for Germany to trade Karelia.

But with the Americans with a significantly strong train through North Africa, hitting Trans-Jordan in force on USA 4, what do you think Japan will be doing?  Protecting their ICs in SE Asia or pressing on Russia?

• I’ll try your strat Jen, it definitely looks cool.  :wink: Probably the counter is to tilt Russia hard, since they got no reinforcements from up north for 4 turns in a row. Do you usually get a total of 8 tran with the Americans to morph into a 4x4 later? Or just keep it at the 4 tran you’re using to go to Algeria?

• It is called a North Africa Dominance Strat.  Kicked my butt the first time I faced it…

As for helping Russia…

What if Russia helps itself?  In the past several games I have played the Allies, I have had russia over $30 for several rounds…

• 2007 AAR League

@ncscswitch:

It is called a North Africa Dominance Strat.  Kicked my butt the first time I faced it…

As for helping Russia…

What if Russia helps itself?  In the past several games I have played the Allies, I have had russia over $30 for several rounds…

Prolly cuz the Germans were joining the other Allies in all this foolishness in Africa…

Call me euro-centric  :lol:

• Actually, Germany sent exactly 1 TRN to Africa…

Tri,

I personally, end up getting 10 transports for USA over 14 rounds.  5 To North Africa and 5 in the Med.  Assuming the Axis havn’t surrendered before I get that far.

• 5x5, whoah  :-o

Shooting for 5 inf 5 art? Or higher inf and less tanks? Or 5 inf 5 tanks by setting up US for some land grabs =P?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m