How to use America effectively in KGF?

• Funny thing is, by the time the US Battleship makes it on station, the entire British fleet can be unified in home waters.

I guess that means that it takes too long to rely on it for protection for your forward fleet =P

• @trihero:

Funny thing is, by the time the US Battleship makes it on station, the entire British fleet can be unified in home waters.

I guess that means that it takes too long to rely on it for protection for your forward fleet =P

If by “forward” you mean the British fleet, then yeah.  I would say that’s fairly obvious.  I thought you were referring to the American fleet, in which case, the BB will be there in plenty of time to help when it really matters.  The first few turns, you need to work with the British, but after that, the American fleet can range on its own.  Not a big deal, really.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@trihero:

Funny thing is, by the time the US Battleship makes it on station, the entire British fleet can be unified in home waters.

Are you referring to the usage off the Coast of Africa? (I’ll assume yes, because it’s the only scenario I can think of where you’d need an American Battleship without the British presence at any given German turn.)

That’s why I say spend about 3 rounds stacking Africa.  Russia is more then capable of defending itself for 3 rounds.

• 2007 AAR League

But what does Russia do when it needs help AFTER round 3 and 3 rounds of American units are doing donuts in the Sahara.

IMO Africa can kill the Allies as much as help it if they over-commit more units than are justified by the IPC value of the territories. I like when the Axis are able to draw off a huge Allied force for a few rounds just by having 2-3 units tooling around Africa.

Round 1: England/America in Algeria
    Round 2: England/America in Algeria and Libya
    Round 3: England/America in Algeria and Libya and Egypt
    Round 4: America in Algeria, England in Norway; England/America in Libya and Egypt and Trans-Jordan
    Round 5: America in Algeria, Libya; England in Karelia (or Norway/Archangelsk if Germany moves into Karelia); England/America in Egypt and Trans-Jordan and Persia
    Round 6: America in Algeria, Libya, Egypt; England in Karelia; England/America in Trans-Jordan, Persia and Caucasus

At least how I see it.  Obviously Germany could devote a lot of effort into North Africa to stall the allies but round 4 is when England shifts north so that they can lend direct assistance while American focuses on Persia to stop the Japanese infection of the middle east.

• 2007 AAR League

I have played the axis far more than the allies for some reason, but I prefer to get help to Russia ASAP, esp. w/ UK. That means keeping Germany busy in Karelia / Belo / WRus with UK forces, relieving some of the pressure from Russia, which after all only has 2 fighters with which to trade territories with the Germans AND the Japanese. This allows Russia to focus on Ukraine and Caucasus, which dead-zones Persia, keeping Japan at bay a bit longer in the south.

By your example above, by Round 4, only the first set of American units have made it to Trans-Jordan. If Russia needs help after Round 3, those troops are still some distance away, and in all probability that first wave has taken some hits from a few German units encountered on the way, or they will have waited a turn to let reinforcements catch up.

They could be in Karelia by round 2, going the northern route, enabling the Allies to make it expensive for Germany to trade Karelia.

But with the Americans with a significantly strong train through North Africa, hitting Trans-Jordan in force on USA 4, what do you think Japan will be doing?  Protecting their ICs in SE Asia or pressing on Russia?

• I’ll try your strat Jen, it definitely looks cool.  :wink: Probably the counter is to tilt Russia hard, since they got no reinforcements from up north for 4 turns in a row. Do you usually get a total of 8 tran with the Americans to morph into a 4x4 later? Or just keep it at the 4 tran you’re using to go to Algeria?

• It is called a North Africa Dominance Strat.  Kicked my butt the first time I faced it…

As for helping Russia…

What if Russia helps itself?  In the past several games I have played the Allies, I have had russia over $30 for several rounds…

• 2007 AAR League

@ncscswitch:

It is called a North Africa Dominance Strat.  Kicked my butt the first time I faced it…

As for helping Russia…

What if Russia helps itself?  In the past several games I have played the Allies, I have had russia over $30 for several rounds…

Prolly cuz the Germans were joining the other Allies in all this foolishness in Africa…

Call me euro-centric  :lol:

• Actually, Germany sent exactly 1 TRN to Africa…

Tri,

I personally, end up getting 10 transports for USA over 14 rounds.  5 To North Africa and 5 in the Med.  Assuming the Axis havn’t surrendered before I get that far.

• 5x5, whoah  :-o

Shooting for 5 inf 5 art? Or higher inf and less tanks? Or 5 inf 5 tanks by setting up US for some land grabs =P?

37 IPC:

5 Infantry (15)
    3 Artillery (12)
    2 Armor (10)

But this isn’t until well into the game.  After all, we’re talking about the building of 7 transports, that’s 56 IPC!

• I usually have around 10 trn by rnd 10, but many games end before that.
    5x5 might be needed if Jap take Moscow, and if UK have Berlin.

Round 10 I might have 10 transports.  Kinda depends.  Did Germany go heavy navy?  Did Japan get foolish enough to invade the Med?  If so, I may have had to sacrifice transports to sink them while not interrupting a 3X3 or 4X4.

• I’m reviving this thread, because I simply blow as the US the most of the powers.

What do you guys find are the most effective methods of transport in a KGF?

A) combine shuck to Northern Europe with the UK, which directly threatens Berlin with a double drop and allows for some nice combined naval defense to operate in the Baltic (drop some units into Africa early but mostly focus in Europe)

B) split shuck with the US going to Africa then through the med, with the UK doing Europe drops, which seems like it’s more difficult to defend the navies but opens up some nice pushing options when the US can reinforce Cauc and push along Ukraine/Balkans with ease, and also defends Africa.

And in the case of A), is it better to attempt to have the “support fleet” shuck along SZ1/SZ2, or along SZ8/SZ1? SZ1/SZ2 is much safer from attack, only a bomb in W. Europe could threaten the tran there, but it usually takes an extra turn to set up like that.

There’s obviously some costs/benefits to each, but I’m having a hard time seeing which choice is better in which circumstance or if there is a clearly better option for the long run, any ideas?

• US is the easiest country. My problem is that many games end at the time US starts to have an impact….  > rnd 6  :roll:

I usually go 2 trans + mostly inf, less art, some tanks, x 3 rnds. Sometimes I buy a ftr each rnd.
    US should always contest Afr. If it’s not needed, then US should start trading SE or WE asap, or send as much
    towards India or Caucus as possible. It’s fully possible to switch from WCA - Algeria, to Alg - Norway. This might happen
    rnd 3-5 etc. U should have 8 trans before changing front, and also to take controll over the med. can be crucial.
    Then u trade Balkan, WE, SE and strengthen Caucus.  If Jap does not contest the med, then US “should” bring
    the victory home where it belongs…SE, Cauc, and stacking Persia.

• 2007 AAR League

I buy 3 TRN 1 Inf 3 Arm on US1 - enables you ship four loads to UK or Alg on US2. I don’t like to over-commit to Africa, I’ll usually do one drop there, which is enough to keep contesting Germany for territory for a while (in combination with UK forces coming from South Asia / SAF), and then switch to unloading both US/UK to Norway/Kar. I just think the advantage of having your land forces grouped is worth it - you can have a big block that Germany can’t attack.

However, if Germany builds a big baltic fleet, I might head to the Med, just so that that naval expenditure is wasted, and has to chase ME if he wants a naval battle, and then we fight where I can reinforce more easily, closer to US shipyards.

I’ve been downgrading to 1 Transport + ground units/air units/naval units on Round 1.  That gives America 4 Transports. 2X2.  You can build up from there with 2 transports a round for the next two rounds if you want.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m