LOL @ Maddogg.

I suppose with 2 inf placed in Fic, you could hit Sin but you’ll probably be going up against at least 4 Allied troops.
    Also Man may be open for a strafe or take on R1 with no extra units.  Certainly in LL, I’d consider a strafe at the very least, going with 4 inf, 1 arm 1 ftr vs. 3 inf, 1 ftr, and take a shot at clrearing out the 3 inf before retreating back to yak.  And with a UK retreat to Sin that leaves only 6 inf to take out Chi and Sin.  Meaning, you are only going to take each with minimal force.

I perfer the placement in Man and the take heavy of China.  I’m generally not concerned with income for Japan early on, b/c the IPC’s are going to come naturally if you make strong aggressive moves towards Novo.

IMO, with 2 extra inf, I think

Chi: 7 inf
    Man 4 inf, ftrs
    Fic, Kwa: mt

is much stronger than

Chi: 1-2 inf
    Sin: 1-2 inf
    Fic: 2 inf, ftrs, IC
    Man: 1-2 inf

I’ve learnd a round 2 Russian purchase of 3 tanks can go a long way into later repelling weak moves by Japan early on, and I think this is where you may run into trouble if Japan isn’t using sufficient force.  With the 7 inf already out East you don’t really need to commit much else to that front until Japan can threaten Novo, even then if you have 7-9 tanks you may be able to deter the Japan move to Novo altogether for a couple of rds.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Switch, bear in mind this is classic.  Odds are Germany’s pretty bottled in E. Europe on the first 3 rounds at least.  So Russia +3 IPC for Ukraine pretty much every round.

However, yea.  Other then the 7 Infantry, 1 Armor in the East, you’re pretty much limited on what you can do to Japan on the northern prong.  Not to mention, you can always violate Mongolia and bypass the Russian wall in the East forcing them to retreat to Novosibirsk or attack you, which is in Japan’s interest.

I’d have to say, IC in FIC, IC in Manchuria would be your best bet.  India might be too tempting for the Allies to go for.  Depends on the layout.

Anyway, with Mainland ICs you don’t need too many transports.  And those you have can go around cleaning up islands or redeploying forces to the front faster.

• OK, my apologies… I keep accessing this from the “unread topics” areas instead of from the main directory…

Scratch what I said above.

In Classic there are no build limits, so you do everythign Direct from Japan.

If Russia has stacked, you TRN in to Manch and reinforce there, THEN move out to Asia.

Builds are the key with Japan.  Immediately get to 4 TRN in the water to land 8 INF to Asia.  Initially, you support their attacks with air power.
    Then start adding 1 TRN per round, always keeping EVERY TRN FULL every round (cannibalize the islands for extra forces), saving extra IPC as needed to keep increasing hte TRN fleet.

Build, bridge.  Build, bridge.

Preserve your air.  Land lots of units. And just mvoe forward in a steady wall, with continous progress through Siberia to reduce Russian income as fast as possible.  With luck, you might even get to Moscow in force before Germany falls…

• lol switch… I was indeed wondering about “For thsoe who say that a J1 IC is sub optimal, I disagree.  It may be sub-optimal in terms of J2 moves, But a J1 IC is superior on J3, and all moves forward.  It is also well supported by Axis wins where it is executed.”

• Forgive me.  My Classic Board is thick with dust, and getting thicker.

But core concepts, such as Japan TRN heavy and sending as many troops as they can buy per round into Asia has not changed :-)

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I do the same thing, Switch. :)  It’s a pain that we even deign to allow such trivial nonsensibilities and backward thinkers like classic players even talk on our boards. :)  (that was a joke, btw.  You should SEE how rusty my classic game play has gotten!  Try winning a 6 IPC bid in Classic (where the bid is in Africa))

• Spacecadet- Face to face or online is fine. If face to face, then fly to Jax Fla, then look me up. I will provide you with free temporary lodging and a hooker (if your’e single), and all the booze you can drink. Otherwise we can play online via e-mail. If you don’t understand how to do that, then I can explain it. Do you think you have what it takes??

• Earth to Spacecadet, earth to spacecadet…… Do you read me?

• Maddog

Did Space go bye bye???

Oh, well.

The start post is J1 = IC + TRN.  Si!!!

The J1 Attacks?

1. Move to Pearl with everything possible, ie BB, CV, BOM, Sub, TRN, 3 FTR

2. Kill the American FTR + the two INF!

Only these attacks because I want to concentrate my forces.  I want everything available J2.

Occasionally, the defenders at Pearl loss all (awwww) and J losses nothing.  Other times, just the transport.  But I want to get all my hits, 3, in my first roll!  Supersubs, anyone?

Placement is IC at the bottom, IndoChina, away from Russian harm.  I fly the remaining aircraft and use the TRN with 2 INF from Clark, I mean the Phillipines.

In the many games I have played, some lost, I never felt J1 = IC ever was the proximate cause of my loss.

• 2007 AAR League

I prefer a J1 build of trn / inf without an IC.  I think it actually allows you to get more onto asia sooner than a J1 IC does, as well as giving you more flexibility with what you can do with the build.  I think there are some old posts around here about this build…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m