What is your first buy as UK (assuming baltic carrier)

• Leave empty.

Germany either sends all Norway units to Karelia, or transports some elsewhere, and the FIG flies away.

• ok to solve these problem

you play the allies i axis

i vacate Norway, you attack it, you leave the russian sub in North Sea and reinforce UK(on which you already have 1art, 1ten and 1 bom) with 2 inf 1 art 1ten 1 bom 1 fig,
    your fighters are on the AC in the sea zone 3 together with 3 transports and a BB

tell me if i missed something; if not i will explain then

• If you left Norway empty, then UK took it with 1 INF from UK

That leaves 1 INF, 1 ART, 2 ARM (1 from ECan) in UK, plus the UK Bomber, and the AF flown in from US.  Under that circumstance, I would not send US land forces to UK unless more than 3 FIGs in Western.

• with germany i have 2 fig on Western Europe
    2 fighters on a carrier in the baltic
    1 fighter in Libya
    1 bomber in Libya

what would you keep on UK

• As the last post, due to 4 FIGs that can reach London.  US would also land forces in UK via SZ8 with DST to shield the TRNs.  (2 INF, 1 ART, 1 ARM added to UK forces)

• now the defence is ok

but with 4 land units in norway…

but why do you sacrifice US fleet for Norway
    i dont see the point…
    please enlight me

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Forgot the US Fighter on UK, Switch.  I’da at least put a fighter there as well…

• Because the US can replace navy, Germany really can;t replace FIGs.

That US fleet is going to down 1 FIG, and pretty fair odds of 2.  US has already built 2 more TRNs, and has moved their Panama DST to SZ10 so they can repeat that move in US2.  Germany meanwhile has comitted 4 FIGs to kill those ships… 4 FIGs that cannot be sued to counter in Norway, nor be used against Russia in Ukraine or West Russia, or against UK in Egypt.

Basically, it is a sucker move.

You get Germany to commit and LOSE forces for no real gain, and draw Germany;s offesnvie pwoer away from battles where it could ahve a serious impact like Ukraine, Egypt, and Norway.

And Norway is minus $3 to Germany and +$3 to UK, making up for the loss of India, and weakening Germany.

So long as I can consistently weaken my opponent and still be able to maintain pressure, I will often sacrifice units to that end :-)

And I thought I did specify that the US sent 1 FIG and 1 BOM to UK…

• 1 send one bomber and two figters and you can shoot me down one fighter
    the odds for 2 arent in your favour

if you want to loose units worth 28 for mine that worth 10 i will gladly say yes

• But against 3 nations, that FIG cost Germany a lot more than those already replaced US units cost…

USA will send the same 2 TRN, 1 DST again in US2.  Germany meanwhile is shy another FIG that was probably not replaced…

• i hope ill play against you soon, you with the allies and i with the axis
    i think it should be a very interesting match

but yes in this if you want to call it KGF Germany doesnt have much stocks

but Germany has Japan which is by each turn growing bigger and bigger……

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@ncscswitch:

But against 3 nations, that FIG cost Germany a lot more than those already replaced US units cost…

USA will send the same 2 TRN, 1 DST again in US2.  Germany meanwhile is shy another FIG that was probably not replaced…

Which means Germany, most likely, is now down 2 of 6 fighters, a third of the luftwaffe and round 2 isn’t even over yet!

• ok i am just saying that germany can take moscow, hold berlin and rome while waiting for Japan to finish the work

• @ncscswitch:

1 AC, 1 TRN, 2 INF.

Move existing fleet (inlcuding ECan) to SZ3 and attack Norway with 1 ARM, 1 ART, 2 INF, 2 FIG (and a BOM if Germany has force there, otherwise SBR or stragler naval attack).

Place new Navy in SZ3 and land FIGs on AC.  2 INF to UK.

On US1, US sends 1 FIG, 1 BOM to UK (possibly doing a stragler navy strike as well if needed).  If Germany has more than 1 TRN in range, 2 TRNs of units to UK.
    On USSR2, the Russia SUB goes to SZ6 to block a combined naval/air strike on my SZ3 fleet.

Thanks Switch ! I’m using your strat against my next opponent in our private little tournament. I’m pretty confident he will just put a carrier in Baltic and do “standard” attacks with G1. If Germany doesnt send the rest of his fleet to Gib… is it safe to just buy transports with USA (4x4) ? I’m guessing yes with my BB and Panama Destroyer coming as reserves.

• If you bring the 2 Pacific capital ships along, yes.

Otehrwise, I would want at least another DST to shield my TRNs that are going to be in or near SZ8 doing the run back and forth from North america to UK.  The TRNs on the Europe side of UK will be protected by the UK navy.

• Basically, I think Amon Sul’s point is a pretty damn good one.

"Move existing fleet (inlcuding ECan) to SZ3 and attack Norway with 1 ARM, 1 ART, 2 INF, 2 FIG (and a BOM if Germany has force there, otherwise SBR or stragler naval attack).

Place new Navy in SZ3 and land FIGs on AC.  2 INF to UK."

So let’s say the Germans landed 4 fighters in W. Europe, bomber and fighter in Libya.  Now Germany threatens 2 inf 1 tank AA gun (remember the UK fighters are on the UK carrier) with 1 inf, 1 tank, 4 fighters, and a bomber.  I know Amon Sul said he landed two fighters there, but I’m not Amon Sul.

So the US sends destr two transports to UK?  Lands fighter and bomber?  Fine, Germany hoses the US fleet and trades 1 fighter for a destroyer and two transports.  German fighters are valuable, but 10 IPC for 28 is pretty good, especially since with a KGF, US MUST rebuild the transports.

• But the German threat to UK is toast.

And the US sends ANOTHER 2 TRN and 1 DST to SZ8 the following turn (existing DST, 2 TRN built in US1).

So Germany is out a FIG (on average), further weakening any chance of a successful German strike on the UK fleet, their AF was tied up in a naval battle and not used against Russia or the UK forces in Norway.  UK fleet is intact, and UK is now landing 8 divisions per turn.

The US can pour money into navy and transportable units.  Germany can;t afford to pour money into FIGs and Navy.  And with the UK already having force in Norway, Germany will have to send land forces every turn to re-take Karelia (or risk a massive UK force there).  And that leaves Russia with a slight edge over the forces Germany will have left in the central and Southern areas.

Germany is down Norway, and has to dedicate forces to Karelia.  That means tehir income is both reduced and contained in Northern Eruope.  With Russia able to focus on central and southern Europe lines, they are going to be able to trade territories for quite a while, keeping Russian income high, and above what Germany is able to focus on Russia.

To make gains against Russia, Germany needs those FIGs in the east, not parked in Western.  Otherwise, Russia will be collecting over $30 each turn, cranking out 8-10 INF and 1-2 offensive units per turn… about the same as Germany;s production by G3.  And if Russia and Germany are even, and UK is landing 8 units, that is a major Allied advantage.

• Why would Germany buy a navy?  One carrier and perhaps one or two transports is it.

Air force - Germany can’t afford to buy two or three fighters a turn, but it won’t need to if it can just bleed the Allied fleet out.  56 IPC for 20 is a great trade.  Against a KGF, Germany should just buy a fighter, or perhaps two, per turn, depending on the Allied navy strength.  The Allies have to pour more IPC into defensive fleet units, and Japan goes wild in Asia.  Germany tanks in, and Japan expands.

Fighters parked in W. Europe can still be used against Karelia and move back to W. Europe.

UK isn’t going to be landing 8 units a turn immediately.  In the proposed move, UK has three transports, and two infantry in London on the second turn.  Transporting eight units a turn isn’t going to happen until UK gets builds some infantry, and builds a fourth transport.  Of course, I know that you already know this, ncsswitch, I’m just clarifying.

Finally, UK either attacks the Baltic, or doesn’t.  If UK attacks and retreats, it can deplete the Baltic fleet, but will probably be killed by the Baltic survivors and German air.  If UK attacks to try to take the Baltic, the German air should be able to handle the survivors.  If UK doesn’t attack the Baltic fleet, Germany can suicide at any time supported by massed air.  Considering that UK’s attack power consists of a battleship, two fighters, and a bomber (with a weak carrier), any attack on the Baltic will be inefficient.  This last point ASSUMES A GERMAN BUILD OF A FIGHTER A TURN.  Germany MUST switch mentalities from trying to gain ground in Asia to trading territories with USSR and defending against the Allied fleet.  It is far simpler to control the Allied invasion with fighters that cost 10 and attack at 3, while the Allies are building transports that cost 8 and defend at 1, while Germany has a superior air force.

• The 8 division drop starts in UK3.

You drop 4 in UK1, 2 in UK2, 8 in UK 3 and forward.

You also do not attack the Baltic fleet.  You let it come to you and face your AC and FIGs and two 4’s and a 3 instead of a 1 and two 3’s.  Parked in the Baltic, they shiled Eastern and Germany from direct landings.  Fine.  I know that move.  I use it all the time.  And I certainly know how to counter my own moves.

Pardon me if I do not go into more detai… I have 2 more rounds of a Tournament to play :-P

• an interesting debate here

maybe switch is right but even with the sacrifice of 28 IPC to 10 i don`t see how can the Allies brake Germany before Japan expands rapidly

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m