šŸŽ²šŸ˜¢ PRNG dice support group ā€” and ranting

• Founder TripleA Admin

WTAF?

ad2dbb6b-605e-4cd8-93f6-8548d7cee953-image.png

bfa012bd-8647-4003-9d80-b13e2f16a652-image.png

• @djensen

So attacking fighter hit, attacking fighter never rolled (which technically it ought to have but eh), then defending carrier inflicted a hit that you had to take on the bomber because the fighter had disappeared? Does that sum up the screenshots correctly?

As to TripleAā€™s implementation of a ā€œluckā€ meter, noted. I thought perhaps you had something different in mind.

• Founder TripleA Admin

I know Iā€™m cherry picking but WTAF?

bf5929ec-636d-4de1-aaa8-38dbefdf3b03-image.png
    e92e2690-3366-43a0-835a-ff0d9ffa3a27-image.png

• @djensen use stabilized dice only

• Hey all!

Check out results from our Player Survey on Dice! Thanks to everyone who shared their thoughtsā€” your answers will shape the future of Axis & Allies 1942 Online.

View Survey Results https://www.beamdog.com/news/dice-survey-results-axis-allies-1942-online/

• @juliusborisovbeamdog But we like ranting. :wink: :rolling_on_the_floor_laughing:

• @brian-cannon There is just something drastically wrong with the dice, and there has been for awhile. I have suspicions of a number of things but that there is something badly wrong I have no doubt. How units like infantry and artillery have such a dramatically successful hit rate on defense and conversely units that require a 3 or more have a god awful hit rate. The funny thing is as Axis on turn 1, my units defending West Russia and Ukraine never seem to hit a damn thing, but on subsequent turns on the attack I cant take Transjordan without suffering a casualty if I take it at all, or Japs attacking Anwhei turn 1, 4 inf and a fighter and I see 2 defending infantry wipe 2-3 attacking infantry, it just simply doesnt make sense and its terribly sad that there has been nothing done to correct the problem. Have the devs deliberately weighted the dice? Does each player have their own dice profile? Are players using third party programs to affect dice rolls?

• @brian-cannon If you think hard about it or if youā€™ve ever played 6 games in one weekend, it might be closer to real life than we think.

When was the last time you did or wanted to throw your dice across the room? At the last Gen Con, I had consistently below average dice all weekend.

• @djensen I have played hundreds of game @djensen. This season a couple of handfulā€™s as I left out of pure frustration for a couple months due to the dice and the inaction of the development team to recognize there was a serious problem and to react to it. I have played countless games of the actual board game and know how frustrating normal dice are but the dice represented in this game are ridiculous, not borderline ridiculous, but completely ridiculous.
    I have participated in the Dice survey and when asked about high value units scoring automatic hits I answered NO, as I do not believe automatic hits are called for nor fair. What I did say is I want random dice. I believe the Devs have always known about the dice, in fact I think the dice as they are were deliberately put in by the Devs to even out the slight Axis advantage that this version of the game has. It is one thing to see a crazy result a couple of times but that isnā€™t the case here, the oddities in rolls are frequent and continuing.
    As far as the developers, had they been transparent with the community from the get go, I think the player base might have been more understanding, but rather than listen early on, they denied completely there was a hint of a problem. Now they seem to be reacting to the ground swell of complaints but it rings hollow, and is undercut by their previous inaction. The dice are the most important aspect of this game, and if they arenā€™t fair or there is something wrong, then the integrity of this game and the results are nothing. That isnā€™t to say strategy does not play a large part, it certainly does but dice decide outcomes.

• @brian-cannon 6a744b8b-bd47-46bc-9735-48fa24de3c2a-image.png This isnt me BTW, just another customer

• @brian-cannon @djensen I would point out that a few months ago, Wargamer.com featured A&A 1942 online and pointed out the problematic dice, as well as pointing out the lack of response to said dice by the Developers. The writers for Wargamer.com have been around wargames based on dice, itā€™s their profession. The response to the article from a former developer at Beamdog was to downplay the criticism and said the articleā€™s criticism of the dice ā€œwas just a thingā€

• @brian-cannon @everyone

You folks need to clarify if the dice was original or stabilized, once they acknowledged the problem they fixed it. You used to hear me go ad nauseum about ā€œtit for tatā€ dice results. But no more. I believe its fixed. Iā€™m now at 84% and each game has bad rolls and i win anyway. The change was immediate from the first game with stabilized dice.

• @imperious-leader stabilized dice only exist in custom games, I do not play custom games

• @brian-cannon Well play normal games then?

• @imperious-leader ranked games are a lot easier to play Imperious, I dont have to look for anyone, I click the button and the game is assembled. I understand your point but why if the dice are fixed why didnā€™t they just implement those dice game wide? I have also seen a post by Quintin casting doubt that the stabilized dice are any different.

• @brian-cannon ā€œrankedā€ games are 1 vs. 1 and thatā€™s not Axis and Allies. The whole point is to deal with the inadequacy of worse teammates making mistakes, or learning from a better player and not finely tuned coordinated national strategies. This simulates the actual war as nations had their own path that at times was not perfectly coordinated like some symphony. You constantly have to adjust to your teammate and your own mistakes during the game. On the other hand, i donā€™t have trouble getting into games but im wondering why some rooms you cant get into when you click, and others get you stuck in limbo. I prefer to create my own games, lots of people just join quickly.

• @imperious-leader I dont enjoy multi player games Imperious, just like I dreaded group assignments in school. I want to make decisions as far as my units and purchases. I find it to hard to coordinate multi player games as far as schedules and what have you. As far as Ranked games not being Axis and Allies? When I played the board game it was almost always 1v1, and rarely multi player. That is just the way it was. It is still Axis and Allies.

• e40dc9a8-c40e-426a-ba87-073ad167f44b-image.png

The problem is that the Devs have known this for awhile. Why else would they not release their data? Anytime someone brings this critical fact up, the only answer they get is to post the survey as if somehow that is an answer to a problem thatā€™s gone on for 4 seasons. Then who ever brings up the problem with the dice is then attacked by the dice defenders as people who donā€™t understand dice.

There was not a need for all these opposing factions and bad will had their been an acknowledgement initially to a problem with the RNG dice and a response. Most everybody just wants a fair representation of actual random number dice. No one or certainly not the majority of those that bring the dice up do not want an ā€œI winā€ button, nor do we want guaranteed hits, we simply want dice that are truly random.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m