• cant keep all the subs in one sz.  jap will send 1 dd and lots of planes and wipe out all subs in 1 attack.  have to keep all subs spread out, force jap to spread out her dd’s.

• @katfishkris:

cant keep all the subs in one sz.  jap will send 1 dd and lots of planes and wipe out all subs in 1 attack.   have to keep all subs spread out, force jap to spread out her dd’s.

Not at all.  If Japan sends just one or two DDs and a bunch of planes the subs have a good chance to survive.  Remember, the subs allocated their hits against the DDs, not against the fighters.  So under most normal circumstances the Japanese would only get one round of shooting.  The subs would survive, especially if you have more than 5 of them sitting off the coast of Japan.

To really get the subs the Japanese player would have to allocate either a ridiculous amoutn of aircraft to ensure they can kill5+ units in the first round (thats a lot of aircraft) or allocate a lot of other forces (BBs, CAs).  Even then, the efficiency by which the subs do their thing would force the Japanese to allocate considerable forces to defend the homeland - forces that the Japanese player would probably like to use elsewhere.

• @Praetorian:

@katfishkris:

cant keep all the subs in one sz.  jap will send 1 dd and lots of planes and wipe out all subs in 1 attack.   have to keep all subs spread out, force jap to spread out her dd’s.

Not at all.  If Japan sends just one or two DDs and a bunch of planes the subs have a good chance to survive.  Remember, the subs allocated their hits against the DDs, not against the fighters.  So under most normal circumstances the Japanese would only get one round of shooting.  The subs would survive, especially if you have more than 5 of them sitting off the coast of Japan.

To really get the subs the Japanese player would have to allocate either a ridiculous amoutn of aircraft to ensure they can kill5+ units in the first round (thats a lot of aircraft) or allocate a lot of other forces (BBs, CAs).  Even then, the efficiency by which the subs do their thing would force the Japanese to allocate considerable forces to defend the homeland - forces that the Japanese player would probably like to use elsewhere.

But it is better to force Japan to spread its DDs over several SZs so that more subs can attack them afterwards. It will increase J losses regarding cost of units.

• @Hobbes:

But it is better to force Japan to spread its DDs over several SZs so that more subs can attack them afterwards. It will increase J losses regarding cost of units.

Oh, I am not suggesting spreading out SSs is a bad idea, but that concentrating the SSs also has its advantages - not the least of which is that you could potentially do a lot of IC damage off the coast of Japan.  I mean, thats 11 IC printed on the map right there.  The ability to target all that IC, even for a turn, is quite juicy.

• WHat I aways do now is J1 build 2 ICs in Asia, preferably near the fighting. Then J2 build 3 tanks at each, and do this again J3. Now to go with all the men you have shipped from japan you have a formidable force that will quickly over run china, and by J4 or J5, India has fallen. This will be even better in Global I think as it will scare the shit out of Russia, having that many tanks possibly sitting behind them, may give Germany an edge if some start lining up on the border with mech infantry forcing russia to sit more in moscow and the east than on the western lines.

• Okay i got a question, What exactly are tasks forces? Oh, and should japan try to destroy china right away?

• From my understanding, if you declare war on UK/Anzac but not USA, USA cannot attack Japan, but they do get their wartime economy that turn.

So if you do the J1 attack, J2 Phillipines, aren’t you really letting the USA get 62 IPC, save their bomber, fighter, DD, and transport, moving them out of harms way to fight another day?

• @Open:

Okay i got a question, What exactly are tasks forces?

Like marshalling card/circles from AAR.  When you have so many pieces (usually ships) on one space that they don’t fit well or they are cumbersome to move (if they are moving together), you put a task force marker there and put all the unit pieces in a designated task force location off the board.

@Piazza2425:

From my understanding, if you declare war on UK/Anzac but not USA, USA cannot attack Japan, but they do get their wartime economy that turn.

US only gets its wartime economy once it declares war.  US cannot declare war if UK/ANZ initiated DoW on Japan.  If Japan declares war on UK/ANZ unproved, then US can and should declare war on its turn - it gains wartime NO and can attack Japan.  What you may be thinking of is the fact that US does no convoy damage to Japan in the turn Japan declares war on only UK/ANZ, since the DoW doesn’t actually come until US’s turn.

• usa cannot declare war though no matter what.  they are only drawn into it.  There is a thread on here about the usa declaration of war and J1 attacks.

• Nevermind.  I read the faq and changed the declaration for the USA.  So why wait to take the phil’s on J2 instead of just taking it J1.  You give the USA time to move everything, giving it that much more firepower to assault japan.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m