More painted pieces for consideration

• Customizer

@jwo1984:

@Tall:

jwo1984,

@jwo1984:

here are some of my wildcats with paint schemes attempted too match the references…

––NICE WORK on your F-4F “Wildcat’s”.

Tall Paul

––All I can do is show you some pics and give you my opinion. When the A&A-Guadalcanal game was produced they made a U.S. Navy fighter they called a “HELLCAT”, although IMHO it looks much more like an earlier “WILDCAT”. The F-4F Wildcat, although ‘stubby’, had a much smaller frontal air intake than the F-6F Hellcat which had a much more bulky, brawny airframe structure.
    ––As I knew that HBG would one day produce some actual F-6F Hellcats for us, ….to me this simply seemed an oportunity to use the OOB units as earlier F-4F Wildcats for the early US Navy and the Marines on Guadalcanal,… and when HBG produces their F-6F Hellcat paint them in the all-blue US Navy scheme thus easily distinguishing from each other.

Tall Paul

are they suppose too be “F6F hellcats” or “F4F wildcat” replicas for A&A Tall Paul??  the “wild cat” was used too start the air war at Guadalcanal in the summer of 42, which is were I think the boardgame picks up…?

––Notice in the TOP pic the large intake of the F-6F Hellcat, BOTTOM pic shows the much smaller intake of the F-4F Wildcat

index-1.jpg
    407664F4F_3_1942.jpg

• I see it now Tall Paul thanks for the distinguishing.  I try too be as accurate as I can while still having fun and making the game and pieces on the board “distinguishable” for other players that aren’t so into the history as a few guys on the forum like myself are.  Guess we will all have too wait for Santa HBG too fill our stockings (online shopping carts) with more and more accurate pieces for our historically needs!  Until the next batch…(I just received my HBG new Japanese expansion set which the pieces are AWESOME)  I will be joining you on the red sun rampant painting train!

• Customizer

Guys,

––After looking at my last posts I realize that someone might get the wrong impression of me as being “overbearing”. I hope not. I do have a passion for military history and I’m a ‘people person’ so I thoroughly enjoy the exchange of ideas, opinions, and information between us ALL. I get a lot of enjoyment from this,…and I can learn things that I haven’t experienced or read about yet.
    ----As you just stated, I think it’s also important that we keep in mind that this is a GAME,….and that we understand that by sometimes our making some ‘compromises’ to historical acuracy will pay off in more FUN in our GAMES. IMHO the rules should be kept as Simple, and Logical as posible to ‘speed’ our gameplay. I also have made certain ‘compromises’ in order to improve the easy & quick identification of units, their types, and their owning countries. What a great game this is!
    ----I’m looking forward to seeing MORE of your painted units in the future. Keep up the good work.
    ––BTW, here’s a pic of my F-4F “Wildcats” in U.S. Navy-Early war paint jobs that “LHoffman” did.

Tall Paul

407664F4F_3_1942.jpg
    DSCF7629_zps4a74d70e.jpg

• “Tall Paul” I believe you are just as enthusiastic as anyone really when it comes too creativity and what skills and talents people can do too this game.  Its great too hear form anyone whether it is praise of the work, or some helpful suggestions (ie decal work) and keeps the category forum going. I think it is all good and keeps up the motivation for all the hardwork guys put into there games!

these early war wildcats from LLhoffman you have are very nice! I love the historically accuracy and the resemblance too the pic is very good!  Question Tall Paul, so do you commission LLhoffman to paint your aircraft, and you paint the infantry? ?

• just wanted to share a few pics of some painted HBG Japanese expansion unit set….which are highly detailed and quality pieces. Fun too paint if anyone else has started or finished them! Slowly working my way through the kit…just finished the naval pieces I was most excited about the Yamato, Nagato, and Unryu carrier

jap exp1.jpg
    jap exp2.jpg

• jap exp3.jpg
    jap exp4.jpg

• '14 '13

Man, these are really awesome. I haven’t finished all mine, so I am definitely inspired by some of your paint schemes.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@jwo1984:

just wanted to share a few pics of some painted HBG Japanese expansion unit set….which are highly detailed and quality pieces. Fun too paint if anyone else has started or finished them! Slowly working my way through the kit…just finished the naval pieces I was most excited about the Yamato, Nagato, and Unryu carrier

Those are definately, sweet! :-D

• Customizer

jwo 1984,

––Nice! Good job. Keep the wonderful pics coming.

––I noticed your flags on the ships and they look nice.
    ----I plan to have a hole drilled behind the bridges on all of my Capital Ships thus allowing a large flag to be placed there denoting that a Commander is aboard and giving the ‘bonus’ to the ship/task force.

Tall Paul

• neat idea tall paul, that hole to be drilled behind the bridge must be tricky too do I cant imagine.  Flags are fun to add, especially for the Japanese! I try and make them as small as possible but then again we are men and are fingers can only be so small lol.  Im not sure how you plan on doing your flags material wise, but I have found if you use the left over decal paper it works quiet well.  I water it first let it dry paint the national insignia and then you can bend the paper and it folds and rounds nicely and stays! if you were looking for a bit of the flag in the wind effect

• @Tall:

––I noticed your flags on the ships and they look nice.
    ----I plan to have a hole drilled behind the bridges on all of my Capital Ships thus allowing a large flag to be placed there denoting that a Commander is aboard and giving the ‘bonus’ to the ship/task force.

Good idea and very nice-looking customization feature.  The bonus could be called a Flagship Bonus, flagship being the designation of the ship from which a fleet commander literally flies his flag.

• had some spare time to paint over the weekend, and decided to work on some more German Luftwaffe.  I wanted the “clipped wing” look of the bf109 e, f, k variants so I squared off the wingtips of the OOB 109’s.

bf109kzoom.JPG
    bf109k2.JPG

• bf109k3.JPG
    109a.JPG

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Talk about detailed, those are pretty sweet. Nice work.

• Customizer

jwo1984,

––Excellent work! It looks like the 'Abbeyville Boys" a.k.a. the “Yellow-nosed Bast*rds” are flying in the neighborhood again. Again, nice work and keep 'em coming.

Tall Paul

• appreciate the feed back thanks guys.  Hopefully these yellownose bastards will roll 2’s and protect the fatherland from allied strategic bombing raids in my next A&A game!  Tall Paul I didn’t notice any 109’s in your Germany thread, just 190s and me110s.  Did the 109’s not make the warmachine painting roster?

• opps, nevermind I read your thread and you already explained the 109’s are getting desert and snow camo, …looking forward too them.

• Customizer

jwo1984 & others,

@jwo1984:

Tall Paul I didn’t notice any 109’s in your Germany thread, just 190s and me110s.  Did the 109’s not make the warmachine painting roster?
    ––The reason for that is I decided to wait for the MUCH BETTER DETAILED
    BF-109 and JU-87 aircraft that HBG is releasing in their upcoming
    Axis Minors Set #2 (pictured below). As time permits I will EVENTUALLY also replace the HE-111s with the better detailed HBG versions.

Tall Paul

Axis Minor Set #2.jpg

• I have had my eye on this HBG set aswell! I wanted to repaint my current OOB stuka’s but I will wait for these more detailed pieces to come out.

• Customizer

I’m thinking of getting some extras of the axis minors and doing sets for Croatia and Slovakia… Long term they will be fully painted but in the short term I need to pick some national colors for the pieces.

Essentially all the current hbg colors are claimed more or less as hbg market them.

Any ideas? I don’t have any game to actually play with them on but the hobby aspect of painting them is the draw for me.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m