• '10

I think you can only overfly friendly neutrals, but I’m AFRB right this second.

• I dont think you can use the fighter and tactical bomber because there is nowhere for them to land.  But if you have a bomber, it can move 7 and you can take it from Germany and land it in Northern Italy.  When I get the game tomorrow….grrrrr!  That will be my strategy.  The odds are pretty good, it seems 2 at 2, 1 at 4, against 1 at 1, 1 at 4, 1 at 2.  This could seriously save the Italian Navy.  Has anybody tried this.

• @Plasticdeathbydice:

The simple fact that this thread is already 5 pages long with everyone arguing back and forth about “you can do this and the axis is screwed” and then someone else states back "yeah but then the axis can do this back…and by the way, then the allies are screwed…) tells me that the game is pretty balanced.

AMEN

• how can the bomber reach the UK fleet off Gibraltor in SZ 91?

• I was just looking at that and apparently it cant, grr.  Well I am still going to send two submarines after that.  Can planes ever attack subs or is that only when the destroyer is present?

• planes can only hit subs when destroyers are present

• @Real:

I was just looking at that and apparently it cant, grr.  Well I am still going to send two submarines after that.  Can planes ever attack subs or is that only when the destroyer is present?

You’re right, my bad.  I am going to send the 2 subs against it as well.  The Tac can attack the sub only with the DD present- so at least 1 hit and the UK has to either damage the CV or lose the DD, condemning the CV at the same time.  There’s a decent shot that the 2 SS will take out both ships while they themselves are sunk- a fair trade in my book.

• Even if I Germany can hit the Gibr fleet (can’t really do much damage), but at what cost. The UK has a better chance of keeping a BB (or other ships) doesn’t it. I have only played 2 partial games so far, but what seems to work is if Germany puts out a Sea Lion threat early. This forces the UK to spend money on ground troops at home, and try to block out the German fleet (costing UK/French boats). This could be just a threat to keep UK honest, you could always return the German fleet to the safety of the Baltic and use it to invade Russia (as mentioned by previous posters)

I have to agree w/miamibeach, (those comments are childish). Putting the UK carrier w/French fleet is dicey at best. Germany will kill them w/air from W Germany. This could be an allied strat though, if Germany hits it. It keeps German air tied up, and will most likely reduce the Luftwaffe.

In one game that we played Germany went navy, and a Sea lion was a threat. As UK you can block the Baltic fleet (as long as they stay there) giving you a little cushion. If they come out G1 and add a carrier w/air, and some support ships in sz 112, you would have to abandon the Italian navy attack in sz 95 wouldn’t you. You would most likely have to try to take out the German navy, using the carrier to soak up hits. Either that or build inf in England to absorb the Sea lion attempt (or both). You would still want that carrier to head to the Atlantic regardless for attack or to re-build the UK fleet, and not be in the Med (at least I would). If there is no Sea lion threat then I might take out the Italian navy, but I would see the counter attack coming, knowing that the allied fleet in the Med would most likely be taken out as well.

• Hey Indianapolis, I dont have the game yet.  Unlike all you guys who live on the Eastcoast I still have to wait until tomorrow to pummel the Russians to bloody submission….and since there is no rulebook online I am looking towards you.

• @Real:

Hey Indianapolis, I dont have the game yet.  Unlike all you guys who live on the Eastcoast I still have to wait until tomorrow to pummel the Russians to bloody submission….and since there is no rulebook online I am looking towards you.

Ok, I’ll take it back.

• @bugoo:

1. Control of Gibralter.  There are many ways for germany to get boats into the med.  If both G and I have boats in the med and transports, they can continually trade gibralter to prevent the allies from entering the med.

I totally agree.  Based on the Straights of Gibraltar rule, it is much wiser for Italy to either hold Gibraltar or trade it back and forth.  This way they don’t have to have a mega-fleet to offset the American one.  They will still need some boats to protect their transports from air attack but they don’t need an uber-fleet.

• I have been quoted twice!  Makes me feel so warm and fuzzy……

• @plumsmugler:

@bugoo:

1. Control of Gibralter.  There are many ways for germany to get boats into the med.  If both G and I have boats in the med and transports, they can continually trade gibralter to prevent the allies from entering the med.

I totally agree.  Based on the Straights of Gibraltar rule, it is much wiser for Italy to either hold Gibraltar or trade it back and forth.  This way they don’t have to have a mega-fleet to offset the American one.  They will still need some boats to protect their transports from air attack but they don’t need an uber-fleet.

And yet Italy has no fleet to do anything. A UK player with a brain will easily knock out the Italy fleet. What is the Axis supposed to do in this situation? Spend round 2 and 3 sending the Kriegsmarine into the Med. Sea while the allies keep africa and turtle in egypt with a minor IC? Trust me, there is no counter because there is nothing to counter with. It is broken.

• @Plasticdeathbydice:

I have been quoted twice!  Makes me feel so warm and fuzzy……

:roll:

• @plumsmugler:

@bugoo:

How is it possible for Germany have the points to do all this plus hold off the Russians and cover West Germany/Denmark against the brits?  Where does Italy find the pts to do Gibraltar trading if it’s stuck at 10-14 pts and it’s fleet is sitting at the bottom of the Med?  The US can come at Gibraltar on T4 with 150 pts of fleet and units with more arriving each successive turn.  It looks wiser to me to have Germany concentrate its army in W Germ, Denmark and South Germany to counterattack after any allied landing and to just say to hell with Gibraltar.

• @chompers:

@plumsmugler:

@bugoo:

How is it possible for Germany have the points to do all this plus hold off the Russians and cover West Germany/Denmark against the brits?  Where does Italy find the pts to do Gibraltar trading if it’s stuck at 10-14 pts and it’s fleet is sitting at the bottom of the Med?  The US can come at Gibraltar on T4 with 150 pts of fleet and units with more arriving each successive turn.  It looks wiser to me to have Germany concentrate its army in W Germ, Denmark and South Germany to counterattack after any allied landing and to just say to hell with Gibraltar.

This is the exact point I was trying to make. Why people are trying to justify Italy being rendered useless before it takes a turn is beyond me. All of these “solutions” proposed operate under the assumption Italy has a fleet. Something needs to change to bring about a more fun and balanced global game. I was under the assumption myself that africa was a huge epic war theater of its own, but the design of Italy suggests otherwise.

• Maybe Gibraltar should not have a naval base? Malta got downgraded, so why not Gibraltar as well……

• I completely agree that the game is broken. After all, not making the game so Italy can have a 50/50 chance of taking all of africa and making it very likely the Germans have to do it and regulating Italy to a subserviant role is completely broken. What were they thinking. It is like they were making a WW2 scenario in 1940 or something.

Oh and add the game being broken because of France too. I mean, really. France has no chance against Germany. Who would want to play France.

• @eddiem4145:

I completely agree that the game is broken. After all, not making the game so Italy can have a 50/50 chance of taking all of africa and making it very likely the Germans have to do it and regulating Italy to a subserviant role is completely broken. What were they thinking. It is like they were making a WW2 scenario in 1940 or something.

Oh and add the game being broken because of France too. I mean, really. France has no chance against Germany. Who would want to play France.

“Oh i’m sorry, is your time machine better than my time machine……oh thats right, you don’t have one!” - Stewie

• I think Italy sucking and France getting smoked in the first round have nothing to do with whether or not the game is broken…sure there are some weaker powers, but what really matters is there about a 50/50 chance of the axis or the allies winning.  Yea the Italian situation sucks, but maybe it can be fixed by using submarines to disable the carrier.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m