• whitch one?

• First off the only t-72s I know of were cold war era tanks.

There were T-60s and T-70s which were light tanks, but i think those are better used for mech inf.

Definetly one of the tanks should be a KV-1

The IS-2 is a good idea but i would rather see one of the SU series like the ISU-122

I also would like to see a t-34/85

Soviet medium and heavy armor porduction 1940-1945

T-34: 34,780
    T-34/85: 22,559
    ISU-122: 4,075
    IS-2: 3,854
    KV-1: 3,015
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_armored_fighting_vehicle_production_during_World_War_II

• '10

@Emperor_Taiki:

First off the only t-72s I know of were cold war era tanks.

There were T-60s and T-70s which were light tanks, but i think those are better used for mech inf.

Definetly one of the tanks should be a KV-1

The IS-2 is a good idea but i would rather see one of the SU series like the ISU-122

I also would like to see a t-34/85

Soviet medium and heavy armor porduction 1940-1945

T-34: 34,780
    T-34/85: 22,559
    ISU-122: 4,075
    IS-2: 3,854
    KV-1: 3,015
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_armored_fighting_vehicle_production_during_World_War_II

T34/85 is a good choice.

• I vote for the IS-2 and the T-26

• KV-1 & T34/85.

• @cminke:

witch one?

Where is the T34? And furthermore it’s which not witch.

• TripleA '12

I vote for KV-1 and Other - T34/76. Yes, I know that’s a OOB mini but I don’t care; I want it! FMG, please make this unit.  :-)

• I would have no problem with the OOB T-34/76 replaced with another model, although I personally prefer to see it remain as a FMG Soviet piece due to its wide use and iconic status. The USSR is in the same metaphorical boat as Germany, however, in that it has a deep pool of iconic and widely used armour units from which to choose.

I would just personally hope that the two FMG Soviet tanks are chosen from the following selection:

• T-34/76A (or B)
    • KV-I
    • T-34/85
    • IS-2
    • ISU-122 (if a Tank Destroyer must be chosen)

I hope FMG does NOT choose to sculpt an IS-3, as it was produced far too late in the war, and likely saw absolutely no combat (possibly some very limited combat against the Japanese in Mongolia, but not 100% verified). Likewise, although I love the appearance of the KV-II, it was unsuccessful as a combat vehicle, being difficult to control and mechanically unreliable, and so was produced in very, very limited numbers.

• true but it was beast!

On August 14, 1941, the vanguard of the German 8th Panzer Division approached Krasnogvardeysk (Gatchina) near Leningrad (St Petersburg), and the only Soviet force available at the time to attempt to stop the German advance consisted of five well-hidden KV-1 tanks, dug in within a grove at the edge of a swamp. KV-1 tank no. 864 was commanded by the leader of this small force, Lieutenant Zinoviy Kolobanov.

German tank vanguard attack plan and positions of three soviet KV-1 tanks
    Soviet newspaper article of 1941 German forces attacked Krasnogvardeysk from three directions. Near Noviy Uchkhoz settlement the geography favoured the Soviet defenders as the only road in the region passed the swamp, and the defenders commanded this choke point from their hidden position. Lieutenant Kolobanov had carefully studied the situation and readied his detachment the day before. Each KV-1 tank carried twice the normal amount of ammunition, two-thirds being armour-piercing rounds. Kolobanov ordered his other commanders to hold their fire and await orders. He did not want to reveal the total force, so only one exposed tank at a time would engage the enemy.

On August 14, the German 8th Panzer Division’s vanguard ventured directly into the well-prepared Soviet ambush, with Kolobanov’s tank knocking out the lead German tank with its first shot. The Germans falsely assumed that their lead tank had hit an anti-tank mine, and failed to realize that they had been ambushed. The German column stopped, giving Kolobanov the opportunity to destroy the second tank. Only then did the Germans realize they were under attack, but they failed to find the source of the shots. While the German tanks were firing blindly, Kolobanov knocked out the trailing German tank, thus boxing in the entire column.

Although the Germans correctly guessed the direction of fire, they could only spot Lieutenant Kolobanov’s tank, and now attempted to engage an unseen enemy. German tanks moving off the road bogged down in the surrounding soft ground, becoming easy targets. 22 German tanks and 2 towed artillery pieces fell victim to Kolobanov’s No. 864 before it ran out of ammunition. Kolobanov ordered in another KV-1, and 21 more German tanks were destroyed before the half-hour battle ended. A total of 43 German tanks were destroyed by just five Soviet KV-1s (two more remained in reserve).

After the battle, the crew of No. 864 counted a total of 135 hits on their tank, none of which had penetrated the KV-1’s armour. Lieutenant Kolobanov was awarded the Order of Lenin, while his driver Usov was awarded the Order of the Red Banner. Later on, former Captain Zinoviy Kolobanov was again decorated by Soviet authorities, despite having been convicted and downgraded after the Winter War for “fraternizing with the enemy.” After the end of World War II, Lieutenant Kolobanov served in the Soviet occupation zone in East Germany, where he was convicted again when a subordinate escaped to the British occupation zone, and was transferred to the reserves.

The battle for Krasnogvardeysk was covered up by Soviet propaganda. A monument dedicated to this battle was installed in the village of Noviy Uchkhoz in 1980, at the place where Kolobanov’s KV-1 was dug in, due solely to the demands of the villagers. Unfortunately it was impossible to find a KV-1 tank, so an IS-2 heavy tank was installed there instead.

The Soviet victory was the result of a well-planned ambush in advantageous ground and of technical superiority. Most of the German tanks in this battle were Panzer IIs, armed with 20 mm guns, and a few Panzer IIIs armed with 37 mm KwK 36 L/46.5 guns. The German tank guns had neither the range nor the power of the 76 mm main gun of a KV-1, and the narrower track width of the German tanks caused them to become trapped in the swampy ground

the monster at the road
    On 23-24 June 1941 a single KV-2 of 2nd tank division conducted an armored road block in southern Lithuania (near Rassaynjay town), holding up the German advance. The Germans found themself in a trouble when they lost whole supply truck collumn. Numerious attacks including a battery of 50mm anti-tank guns (which were destroyed at 500m distance), Flak 88 (the Soviets allowed to mount this gun at 700m distance and then killed it) and an engineer unit attack all failed to silence the Russian tank. Artillery fire of 105mm howitzers achieved a hit to the track and the KV was partially immobilised. This heavy tank at the only road and surrounding swamps made German troops supply (with ammo, fuel and food) and wounded soldiers evacuation impossible. The Germans were forced to use such trick: 50(!) tanks immitated an attack, so it became possible to set another 88mm flak, which managed to eliminate the tank after two days it held up the advance of the entire 6th Panzer Division.
    The Stukas were not used beacause a commander not allowed an operation “against one tank”.
    By the Germans’ accounts, the crew could have escaped easily several times before the final attack, but the heroes always chooses own fate…

• @AG124:

• ISU-122 (if a Tank Destroyer must be chosen)

The ISU-122 is an Everything Destroyer

and I agree the KV-2 and IS-3 would be stupid choices despite KV-2 being very unique.

• ok is-3 is an outlier(gr8/9 math)

kv-2 is not!
    the kv-2 would look aswume.

• @cminke:

kv-2 is not!
    the kv-2 would look aswume.

There were only three hundred built.

• A little less than 300 were produced, actually.

I understand the attachment to and interest in the KV-II, expressed by some other board members, but I think there are far superior choices for Soviet armour sculpts. Aside from individual subjective approval of the tank’s appearance and limited combat success, as evidenced through individual unit results, the vehicle was an awkward, unreliable, and poor design, and was produced in very limited numbers for about a year.

• @AG124:

A little less than 300 were produced, actually.

KV-2 Production total = “about” 255

Emperor_Taki posted the other production numbers earlier …

• The soviets made thousands of heavy tanks, just not too many KV-2s.

I am pretty sure everyone wants to have a KV-1 mold, so it would be even more silly for the second FMG mold to be a KV-2. There are plenty of other soviet heavy armor to choose from that look just as crazy as the as the KV-2 and were produced in much larger numbers.

like the ISU-152

• '10

@cminke:

hol-e carp that thing is beast!

What kind of fish is a hol-e carp? I thought you all were talking Russian tanks.

• ?

• Customizer

I vote for the KV-1 and the T-26

• I really want the T-26 as well.

• Customizer

I know the current versions of A&A don’t allow for tanks for China, but if anyone wanted to make it possible for China to get a few tanks you could use the T-26 for China as well.  Early in the war, the Chinese had a number of T-26s they got from Russia.  I don’t think they lasted very long though.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m