How is France going to survive even 1 round?!?

• @Funcioneta:

@calvinhobbesliker:

My avatar/tagline doesn’t say anything about the empire except that it was the largest in history: a true statement.

It’s fun, you avatar includes territories lost in Middle Ages (Plantagenet Empire), some others that never were English (Louisianna and Florida were purchase by USA, and when was Tibet UK owned?) and some others were independent (Canada, Australia) before others were adquired (Namibia and other post-WWI colonies)  :-D

Mongolians have the 1st post as largest empire by military domination at the same time. I don’t remember the exact numbers, but Spanish could have the 2nd and British the 3rd or viceversa

They made an expedition into Tibet or it was a sphere of influence.

• @McMan:

The Mongol Empire was the largest contiguous land empire. British is the largest of all time, it just isn’t all connected.

It reached its greatest height between 1919 and 1922, before Ireland gained independence. Canada and Australia were dominions, which mean they were autonomous but still part of Britain, like Hong Kong is with respect to China today.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BritishEmpire1919.png

• Mmm… the Commonwealth status is ambiguous but I’m pretty sure that Hong Kong is integral part of China today (other stuff is the “one country, two systems”). And Tibet doesn’t qualify or we Spanish could yet claim that our empire has Athens, Neopatria, Sicilia or such (titles of current King of Spain, he has a long bunch but you can get the idea)

Good catch on Eire  :-D

We could make the numbers … I think USSR at its peak was 22 millions of square kms. Mongol Empire had (a bit less or more) that plus China. That would make near to 30 millions square kms … and probably I’m missing Afganisthan and part of India

Canada+Australia+UK itself= about 20 millions
    India -> 3 millions

It’s possible that african holdings had more than 10 millions, but you need include Canada, Australia and SAF to the count. The dominion status is tricky, take into account that when they got dominion status, many inland areas were not colonized yet

I’m not totally convinced yet. You need the dominions, and I could make such imaginative counting for Spanish Empire under Iberian Union (Felipe II-Felipe IV), because portuguese colonies in Africa had pretty unclear limits as well

• @Funcioneta:

Mmm… the Commonwealth status is ambiguous but I’m pretty sure that Hong Kong is integral part of China today (other stuff is the “one country, two systems”). And Tibet doesn’t qualify or we Spanish could yet claim that our empire has Athens, Neopatria, Sicilia or such (titles of current King of Spain, he has a long bunch but you can get the idea)

We could make the numbers … I think USSR at its peak was 22 millions of square kms. Mongol Empire had (a bit less or more) that plus China. That would make near to 30 millions square kms … and probably I’m missing Afganisthan and part of India

India -> 3 millions

It’s possible that african holdings had more than 10 millions, but you need include Canada, Australia and SAF to the count. The dominion status is tricky, take into account that when they got dominion status, many inland areas were not colonized yet

I’m not totally convinced yet. You need the dominions, and I could make such imaginative counting for Spanish Empire under Iberian Union (Felipe II-Felipe IV), because portuguese colonies in Africa had pretty unclear limits as well

There’s also new zealand, burma, malaya, british guinea, etc. Also, 1922 is when Egypt gained independence.

• @Funcioneta:

Mmm… the Commonwealth status is ambiguous but I’m pretty sure that Hong Kong is integral part of China today (other stuff is the “one country, two systems”). And Tibet doesn’t qualify or we Spanish could yet claim that our empire has Athens, Neopatria, Sicilia or such (titles of current King of Spain, he has a long bunch but you can get the idea)

India -> 3 millions

All of Africa is approximately 30 million, and the British territories are at least one third.

• Canada, Australia, and New Zealand gained full independence in the 1980’s

• @calvinhobbesliker:

Canada, Australia, and New Zealand gained full independence in the 1980’s

Sure? I don’t know what to say… I thought that Canada was teorically independent at end of XIX and Australia early XX … but in fact currently their chief of state is Queen of England (a foreign monarch) so you could have a point, because a country ruled by a foreign is not truly independent. Maybe the Empire still is alive? Maybe yes, because even Gibraltar is still occupied and in Axis and Allies maps Gibraltar gets bigger than Andalucia

OK, let’s accept ship as acuatic animal  :lol:

• Less talk about some empire that existed 9000 years ago, more talking about possibilities with the French after the fall of Metrpololian France in this game.  :roll:

• Only two possibilities exist for after France’s capitulation, it will fall, the Morning might come again, but it will fall during G1 or G2.

The first being is the French navy, probably the majority will be the Mediterranean, maybe something in the Atlantic as well. Since the there is no Vichy element, and no ‘bad blood’ between them and the British, there’ll be no loss of lives (and vessels) between allies. I can see the fleet regrouping, but most likely forming multinational defense rings with England and America. Whatever is left of the fleet that is…

As the land forces, ie infantry, they’ll be scattered in Africa and the Middle East (Syria), again, the only worthwhile option is to form multinational defense, to help the Allies stem the tide. I doubt they’ll be making many offensive campaigns.

• @UN:

Less talk about some empire that existed 9000 years ago, more talking about possibilities with the French after the fall of Metrpololian France in this game.  :roll:

9000 years ago? That’s 7,000 BCE, before the civilization of Egypt.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@UN:

Less talk about some empire that existed 9000 years ago, more talking about possibilities with the French after the fall of Metropolitan France in this game.  :roll:

Yep, and the empire fell around 654 AD. The British Empire that supposedly came around in the 18th-20th century was a poser.  :lol:

Only two possibilities exist for after France’s capitulation, it will fall, the Morning might come again, but it will fall during G1 or G2.

The first being is the French navy, probably the majority will be the Mediterranean, maybe something in the Atlantic as well. Since the there is no Vichy element, and no ‘bad blood’ between them and the British, there’ll be no loss of lives (and vessels) between allies. I can see the fleet regrouping, but most likely forming multinational defense rings with England and America. Whatever is left of the fleet that is…

As the land forces, ie infantry, they’ll be scattered in Africa and the Middle East (Syria), again, the only worthwhile option is to form multinational defense, to help the Allies stem the tide. I doubt they’ll be making many offensive campaigns.

Which makes me really hope that the French player will be able to build at least infantry, artillery, and tanks.

• @UN:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@UN:

Less talk about some empire that existed 9000 years ago, more talking about possibilities with the French after the fall of Metropolitan France in this game.  :roll:

Yep, and the empire fell around 654 AD. The British Empire that supposedly came around in the 18th-20th century was a poser.  :lol:

Only two possibilities exist for after France’s capitulation, it will fall, the Morning might come again, but it will fall during G1 or G2.

Which makes me really hope that the French player will be able to build at least infantry, artillery, and tanks.

Are you talking about the Roman Empire?

• Are you talking about the Roman Empire?

I guess we’ll never know will we?  :wink:

• @Yoper:

@UN:

If you don’t control your capital, you can’t produce units.

Exactly. France is stuck with whatever it can get until liberation, it’ll have to make do.

• @cminke:

play smart and thats all you will need! :wink:

play smart and roll well and you will carry the allies on your back.  ;-)

• @Yoper:

@UN:

I guess I’ll have to think up of a modification to that rule then with my games. I really do not think that France should have to just “make do” with its remaining units after the Blitz.

• @UN:

@Yoper:

@UN:

I guess I’ll have to think up of a modification to that rule then with my games. I really do not think that France should have to just “make do” with its remaining units after the Blitz.

Why not? It’s not like French tanks and artillery were produced in Africa

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@UN:

@Yoper:

@UN:

Why not? It’s not like French tanks and artillery were produced in Africa

Because there would be no point in being France then if you had to “make do” with what you have. At least have the ability to produce infantry.

Why not have a rule to where, if the British and Americans have units in French territory, they can give them to the French player when both agree to make such a transfer? This would represent the lend-lease program for the Americans, and just arming the Free French for the British.

• France is likely not intended to be played by a single person, much like ANZAC.

• @kdfsjljklgjfg:

France is likely not intended to be played by a single person, much like ANZAC.

I don’t have Pacific, so I’m not sure what you mean. ANZAC has to be jointly controlled by two players or something?  :?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m