A&A 1940 Global: Japanese invasion of Russia and Expeditionary Fleet to Europe

• @ampdrive said in A&A 1940 Global: Japanese invasion of Russia and Expeditionary Fleet to Europe:

@shadowhawk In keeping with the idea of sending the IJN to the europe map ,I have an alternate idea.J1 send IJN with transports to sz 33+34 (carolines and palau islands)This looks like the usual set-up to take Phil +some money islands J2.Instead attack Anzac,you may be blocked and have to settle for Queensland.Better if you can grab Sydney or New Zealand.(all 3 have NB)With NZ NB you can grab brazil and be in the allies underbelly threatening Africa,Gibralter etc
    I’d actually be inclined to take Sydney 1st before setting off for S.Atlantic just like I think it would be best to take Calcutta before heading towards Med if that’s what you are determined to do.
    Oh and it’s less distance to Moscow if you move through Northern China instead of siberia.Build an AB in Jehol to protect your coastline and extend aircraft range.

Pretty sollid move to take anzac if you plan to forgo japan.
    But what prevents Anzac to destroy your land forces on queensland?. Every unit you land there can be destroyed by a counter attack.
    It depends a lot on what the US does, if they are @hawai and can attack your fleet there you might need blockers. Even if they do a suicide run they can do a lot of damage. You dont have any reinforcements for that fleet.

If the US would sucide everything that can get to that area round 2, from the pacific side japan will have just a token force left. Depending on Anzac buys it will be hard to even take sidney.
    If the US can use its 1st round buys if might just be able to destroy the fleet ( at the cost of their own ) Or at least make it a pretty close fight, if japan only has 2 damaged BB around its not much of a threat.

Though the idea is quite good, attack first NZ then Brazil and then take S-afrika to start production there and help push the UK out of afrika.
    The fleet might be outclassed then but it can move quickly towards suez even, it just has to keep avoiding US forces because if the US can catch it well its dead.

• One of the main winning strategies against high level opponents is to get the combined Axis income to come within 15 production units of the Allies by turn 8. Assume Moscow gets stacked so holds strong and UK has dominated all of Africa with little chance of Egypt falling until the late game.

That means the axis needs to capture most of the other Russian territories, obliterate China, capture the money islands, force UK Pacific to turtle down in India, and gain some bonuses from the Middle East.

Siberia has some of the least influences in this gameplan. If it isn’t being defended, grab it but don’t devote 100 PUs worth of material to conquer those 1 point territories. With that much spend, you likely could have overrun India.

Work backwards from this income goal and devise strategies that give you economic advantage as you will more consistently get the W compared to other plans.

• @shadowhawk When there is a legitimate Sealion threat I think USA is buying on the atlantic side rd 1+2.I agree that the"Expeditionary Fleet to Europe"half of this thread is different but ultimately unwise.Hell just stay close to sz 6 so you can build and transport land units out of Japan every turn.How about flying most of your air force to the Europe side?
    sz 38 or 41 >iraq 4 spaces
    suiyaun or yakut >nenetsia(beside archengal) 4 spaces
    kwangsi(with AB) > romania or iraq 7spaces
    sz 1 >qubec 4 spaces…that one is a crazy kamakazi

• @ampdrive
    Well with a sea-lion threat the US could also get some bombers and airforces in the atlantic side. If you do sea-lion that would destroy your fleet making russia a giant bear.

If you dont well those units can fly over and have a chat with the japs, strat bombers have insane range. Well all air has way to much range in this game but strats with airbases can cover half the planet.

• @shadowhawk USA bombers have nowhere to land if scotland and eire are unavailable.If Germanaby owns normandy factory by G2,new units can be placed in sz 110 G3.I think USA needs at least 4 loaded carriers + DD in sz 102 by USA turn 2 to kill what could be in sz 110.
    Keep in mind , Germany is only committed to sealion when they spend their G2 money on TTs.If it does’nt look viable do something else.

• @ampdrive

Why would i not take Ireland? The mech doesnt have anything better to do so consider that a landing spot. So now you have to land troops in 3 different places thats 4 less land units attacking london. Thats a lot of odds less, it also means your not in SZ110 with your fleet.

You got 1 loaded carrier + 2 fighters, 1 cruiser 1 dd in SZ110 unless you invest even more but that means you cant stop russia anymore.

Assuming i dont know what happening i got 1cruiser + 1DD + loaded carrier available for the US as well as 4 strat bombers. Because im spending my income about 50/50 in both zones.
    The fleet portion cannot help out so thats 4 strats 1 tactical 1 fighters VS 2 fighters 1 cruiser 1 dd and 1 carrier. Thats about 80% chance of winning. Sure i lose all but 1 strat but you lose all your transports.

You dont have your battleship anymore because, if you dont use it in 110 i just scramble and nuke your airforce. IF you do send it i dont scramble and i got a damaged BB sitting there all alone against 4 fighters and a strat bomber.

• @shadowhawk OK,I see this is turning into a sealion discussion which is fine enough.We should get back to what this thread was about initially.
    Classified_22
    8 days ago

What are you guy’s opinion on the following turn sequence for Axis powers

G1: build CV, DD, and SS–Germany takes France and prepares for Sea Lion + Russian invasion.
    Many of us would read that as Germany has to prepare to BE INVADED by Russia .I’d suggest that Classied_22 does not buy naval G1 and plans to with Japans help take out Russia 1st and maybe sealion later if the opportunity is there.Otherwise go for Cairo for the win.

• @ampdrive

I do not have to Sealion I concede, I just do not see a point in building the fleet and not taking out UK threat.

You might be asking why I need the fleet. I do not, but I am using it to flank attack on karelia archangel area to surprise Moscow and take IPC’s. Bulk of russian forces will be at the front and only have one turn reaction time.

Then I can bring the fleet back to the atlantic if needed to retake london again.

Thoughts?

• @Classified_22

Seems very risky, but so is the rest of the plan. Consistent with vibes, I guess?

• @Classified_22 I don’t want to discourage you from trying novel strategies.They’re interesting and fun,but will likely be defeated by good players(I’m not including myself in that category)
    With your G1 naval buy and depending on how battles went,the allies should be wary of a possible sealion threat.Watch to see what Russia buys and where they position their forces.If they decide to attack Japan,the 6 Mongolians will stay put.I guess your surprize move is using TTs to drop an army into northern Russia from sz 127.I reccommend using the units from Norway and Finland.If you take Leningrad you get the AB,NB,Minor fac+5 ipc bonus but that spot is not hard to get overland and safer to use baltic sea if using TTs.
    Taking Archengal negates Russias 5ipc lend lease bonus.Nemetsia is worth 0,but so remote that it’s harder for Russia to contain you and close enough for it to be possible to bring over Japanese air from china.
    I just want to say that I’ve made the mistake of splitting up my German army invading Russia.I lost all my slow movers because I underestimated the power of a lot of inf with just a few tanks and planes.
    Let us know what you like to buy G2.

• @ampdrive said in A&A 1940 Global: Japanese invasion of Russia and Expeditionary Fleet to Europe:

@shadowhawk OK,I see this is turning into a sealion discussion which is fine enough.We should get back to what this thread was about initially.
    Classified_22
    8 days ago

What are you guy’s opinion on the following turn sequence for Axis powers

G1: build CV, DD, and SS–Germany takes France and prepares for Sea Lion + Russian invasion.
    Many of us would read that as Germany has to prepare to BE INVADED by Russia .I’d suggest that Classied_22 does not buy naval G1 and plans to with Japans help take out Russia 1st and maybe sealion later if the opportunity is there.Otherwise go for Cairo for the win.

It wasnt a sea-lion discussion but i pointed out that germany cant just take london and expect not to have issues with it. The idea of ill just take london and next turn ill use those units and fleet and go attack russia just doesnt work. You have to take account for what the allies can do.
    I just pointed out that his fleet isnt safe in 110 without extra investments which will take away pressure from moscow.

I think i would tweak the Japan into europe a bit. Make a full move against india and take it. That forces the US to react on the pacific side ( you take money islands for good measure ) and then you can move those forces into the middle east the next turn. The naval base would allow you to be next to egypt in 1 move.
    It might take more then 3 turns to reach europe but since you force the US to also be present in the pacific more ( else they lose there ) your help is much stronger in europe.

The axis cannot win without a credible threat on both sides, if the US can focus on just 1 side of the board their buying power alone will easy overrun 1 of the axis.

• @shadowhawk I can’t argue with that.Take out india 1st and then go toward Egypt and middle east to obtain victory on the Europe side.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m