• I need transports to go from Sicily to S.Italy 2mi and Denmark to Sweden 2.5mi but not from Scotland to Ireland 12mi.Why is that?

• @ampdrive

Game design. Don’t overthink it. And “Scotland”, as you can see, also includes Northern Ireland (i.e “Scotland” really means “the British Isles that aren’t England or Wales”).

• @SuperbattleshipYamato . I don’t have a problem with UK being able to move overland to Eire with units that start in Scotland (which on the map includes N.Ireland)A mech starting in London UK1 is crossing a straight to activate EIre.Why can’t Italy move land units back and forth to Sicily from S Italy when they control both territories and the sz is NOT hostile?OK Denmark and Sweden different countries,but what if I’ve been in control of both and sz 113 for a round?
    Where it gets me is when Germany invades Scotland from SZ 111,it is assumed they crossed over to N.Ireland even if Uk controls sz 109 and 119.Next Germany can take Eire without transports,thus denying a possible landing space for counter-attacking allied aircraft.
    As for Sicily,I like that the game designers made it a separate territory probably because historically the allies used it as stepping stone to invade mainland Italy.Does anyone ever invade Sicily?I don’t recall it being discussed other than a cheesey way to get Russia more spreading communism bonuses.

• @ampdrive

As mentioned before, it’s just game design. I agree it doesn’t make much sense.

Sicily and/or Sardinia can be used as a landing spot on the rare occassion fighters or tactical bombers flying from Tunisia, Algeria, Libya, Tobruk, Cyprus, Syria, Malta, or Crete (these territories must have an air base) need to attack Southern or Northern Italy and there are no other landing spots available. Also just generally allows those aircraft to attack those territories without carriers.

• @SuperbattleshipYamato I like your"it’s game design"answer.With all the factors that went into developing A&A Global 40,they did a good job.If we really want to tweek something it’s a house rule.
    I think it would be historically accurate to have some political (bonus?)consequence for gaining or losing the 2 Italian islands.

• @ampdrive

Agreed. Or at least just Sicily (to show that Sardinia wasn’t necessary). I would like a more general bonus that increases the value of the other Mediterean islands, kind of like what the Balanced Mod 3 version does.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m