• This is a chat for Italian strategy

Turn one we are going to assume they did the Toronto raid and the British made it out with some aircraft and you lost your fighters but you still have 2 transports and your two western fleets

Purchase- 1 fighter

Land battles
    1-tank, 1 mech, 1 artillery and 3 infantry attack Alexandria

1 artillery and 1 infantry attack Tunisia

1 infantry attack Kenya

2 infantry and 1 artillery attack Sudan

Amphibious assaults
    1 infantry and 1 artillery attack Algeria

1 infantry and 1 tank attack Morocco (bring cruiser to bombard)

Sea battles
    1 bomber, 2 destroyers and one submarine attack the French fleet

Non-combat
    Claim Bulgaria

• @colonel-ace said in The Italian playbook:[link text](link url)

This is a chat for Italian strategy

Turn one we are going to assume they did the Toronto raid and the British made it out with some aircraft and you lost your fighters but you still have 2 transports and your two western fleets

Purchase- 1 fighter

Land battles
    1-tank, 1 mech, 1 artillery and 3 infantry attack Alexandria

1 artillery and 1 infantry attack Tunisia

1 infantry attack Kenya

2 infantry and 1 artillery attack Sudan

Amphibious assaults
    1 infantry and 1 artillery attack Algeria

1 infantry and 1 tank attack Morocco (bring cruiser to bombard)

Sea battles
    1 bomber, 2 destroyers and one submarine attack the French fleet

Non-combat
    Claim Bulgaria

• list item

• @colonel-ace

Some notes:

It’s likely the British destroyed your fleet off of Malta, so you can’t plan that it’s there.

Provide more context on the British position, particularly with regards to Egypt and North Africa.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

@SuperbattleshipYamato is absolutely correct. It is highly unlikely the Malta fleet will survive UK1. In addition:

• Are you playing with a Bid?

• What is the Taranto British forces that you are estimating? (I am curious since you scrambled the 2 Italian fighters.)

Please provide a revised strategy without the Malta fleet’s participation.

• With the proper help from Germany it is very possible that you still have two transports with a German fighter in Rome Toronto is a 50/50 shot and if they they take out the cruiser in 91 it’s a good chance you keep that transport but I see your point and what I usually do in that case is attack Morocco so I can destroy Algeria second turn.

• Also I made a mistake the cruiser bombardment go’s to Algeria unless you only have one transport

• @SuperbattleshipYamato

I can’t guarantee anything but what usually happens is Britain has evacuated Alexandria and stacked Egypt also they usually have something in the Middle East

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

@colonel-ace said in The Italian playbook:

With the proper help from Germany it is very possible that you still have two transports with a German fighter in Rome Toronto is a 50/50 shot and if they they take out the cruiser in 91 it’s a good chance you keep that transport but I see your point and what I usually do in that case is attack Morocco so I can destroy Algeria second turn.

So, based on your reply, I assume you are playing with no Bid. As, if there was a Bid, there is usually an additional DD or SS in SZ91. Also, there is usually at least a SS in SZ98.

With no Bid, if the Germans send 2 submarines to SZ91 there is an 89% chance the UK cruiser dies. Of course, this weakens the ability of the Germans to hurt the UK fleet in 106, 110 and 111, but it helps the Italians in the Med.

With no additional sub in SZ98 the Taranto raid has an 83.5% chance of success with an average of 3 UK planes surviving. Normally, even without the SS it would be 93.5% but I assume the UK player would pull off a DD and send it to SZ96 with the Gibraltar fighter. Of course, without the SZ91 cruiser the UK player may just shift to Gibastion anyway; and many players do Gibastion as their default option.

Not sure why you are saying Taranto is 50-50?

• I guess I just get lucky

• @AndrewAAGamer
    Sorry but I’m not up to date on what gibastion is can you explain

• Also I ran the simulation and it is a 75% chance of Torontos success and that is only if they do some maneuvering with their carrier and I just play casually so without that 2 extra aircraft it is 75% favorable to me thus why I said 50-50

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

There are multiple references and discussions to Gibastion on the Forum. You can search for it.

Basically, it is where the UK player ignores Taranto, attacks Malta SZ96 and moves their SZ98, SZ91 and SZ109 fleets to SZ92. If the SZ110 fleet survived, highly unlikely, it also joins. An airbase is bult on Gibraltar and there are enough ships and planes to easily withstand an Italian attack. Algeria is stacked with additional UK units to make sure Italy can’t take it thus creating a landing zone for German short range aircraft.

The idea being twofold. 1) There is no Taranto counterattack by Italy, or most likely Germany, into SZ98 and killing the UK fleet. Thus, a stronger UK fleet is available to knock out the Italian fleet going forward. The premise being while Italy collects more monies to begin with the Italian fleet dies a cheaper death to compensate for that. 2) This maneuver protects London from a possible Sealion strategy. This is actually the main reason most people perform this tactical option in my opinion.

• @colonel-ace said in The Italian playbook:

Also I ran the simulation and it is a 75% chance of Torontos success and that is only if they do some maneuvering with their carrier and I just play casually so without that 2 extra aircraft it is 75% favorable to me thus why I said 50-50

Not sure what you mean by “some maneuvering with the carrier”. Sans the destroyer and sub a Taranto attack is 83.5%, with an average of 2-3 UK planes surviving, assuming a full 3 fighter scramble.

UK: CA, AC, 3 Ftr, Tac, Bmb vs Axis: CA, BB, 3 Ftr

• I built my strategy around The Toronto raid so then strategy would have to change if this strategy was used I’m going to try this out next time I play Britten anyway how do you counter it?

• @AndrewAAGamer said in The Italian playbook:

@colonel-ace said in [The Italian playbook](/forums/post/
    UK: CA, AC, 3 Ftr, Tac, Bmb vs Axis: CA, BB, 3 Ftr

Huh my simulation told me that it was 75%

• By maneuvering I mean using the Carrier to land the 2 British fighters the people I play with forget to do that

how do you counter it?

You don’t. Not unless you are willing to sacrifice a ton of German resources; which most players are not willing to do.

As I said there is a tradeoff. Italy collects for SZ97 for 2 full Turns; thus gaining about $18 more in income versus a Taranto option before the UK shuts them down. This can be prolonged by sacrificing ships to block out to 3 rounds for $28. That extra money is used for ground troops to provide for defense of Italy and the continent freeing up German troops to head towards Moscow. In essence, the fight for the Med strategy is removed and replaced by a defend Europe strategy.

Since any competent Allied player is going to knock Italy out of the game anyway the real test for Italy is to keep the United Kingdom occupied as long as possible while Germany takes Moscow and to use Italian ground forces to counter any Allied landings so, again, German troops can focus on Moscow.

The one thing, as the Italian player, you DO NOT want to do is try to build ships to combat the UK fleet. That is just throwing the extra money you collected away.

Huh my simulation told me that it was 75%

7c3a562c-92fc-4a24-9db7-04c4faeb75e1-image.png

• Would it be viable to buy fighters to protect your Mediterranean fleet while you start using your transports to pump troops into Syria in order to take Iraq and put a complex there so you could still be able to do stuff

• Ohh I put a cruiser instead of a sub that is probably why. also I found something I double checked the rules and it says that you can scramble up to 3 fighter’s or tacs FROM EACH TERRITORY which means Germany could send more fighters to northern Italy to help against Toronto

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m