France and what should be done about it.

• Has anyone asked Larry about the split of France? He might spill it. I was also wondering if England will be split. With Australia getting what looks like 5 tt, UK should also be split (at least 2 tt), of coarse Japan was left as 1 tt(with 1 sea zone). Another thing in AA50 the The English Chanel is between UK & NW Europe, or does NWE include N France (Picardy). Just a thought.

Amp assault def rule (blockhouse) should be part of the game, as well as some type of marine rule to counter it. Larry already said there will be no blockhouses. So maybe some type of inf/art pairing (as discussed in another section)could be ruled in for coastal def. Where inf gets +1 on def when paired w/art to def against amp assault only. That way it forces you to build that Atlantic Wall. Maybe it only last 1 round of battle. Giving a bonus to inf paired w/art is already in the game and would only be 1 extra line in the rule book.  Giving art another role will keep it part of the game especially w/mech inf coming.  As for marines you kinda have that when your inf attack w/art. Then if you get advanced art its even better.

• I read twice in the info thread
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=15031.0
    that blockhouses in the new games wasn’t decided yet, so unless there’s something new I think we could hold out hope for them.

regardless of the actual pieces, the Japs need to get an automatic roll of 3 for INF to signify thier defensive preparations on their first turn against any amp. assault regardless of what happens to the rest of the countries.  wouldn’t have to be pre-emptive, but needed.

• I read on the talk to Larry tread AAp40, about in the middle of the 13th page, Larry said no blockhouse rule but paratroopers are still alive. IL is still pleading his case so I guess it could still happen I hope so.

• yea we must have a go at it, but it may not happen.

• i have to go over to Larry’s forum to check out the complete conversation, just haven’t made it there yet, only picking up the pieces from here.  IL, keep at it, bend him to your will and fix the rest of the problems while you are at it, eh!  Good on ya!

• Well I can say the Mechanized Infantry and Fighter-Bomber pieces were pushed for many years by direct and indirect means at my disposal and its true if you say something long enough it begins to sink in and take hold. Neutrals were another matter and finally a breakthrough was made by the combined work of many others as well who didn’t like the idea that the design conveniently swept them under a rug and ignored their existence. Lastly, we bugged him for a start date in 1939, but got 1940, which is guess is at least something.

Its a matter of time before we get some other things done that make it more historical.

• Yes, victory is within our grasp!

Btw, Larry said the board will be 30"x70".  Is that just one half, or the entire board?

• each map is 35 x 30

• roughly square….interesting
    Im still hoping for a south america/south africa excluded map…but the square seems to match up with the pacific ~square

• Customizer

I’m not sure i like the idea of a blockhouse unit.  (assuming that it means a unit that fires on everyone during the first turn, like AA does).  It is much too powerful, and would ensure that people do not land there.
    I like the slow move from defensive style gaming to more offensive styles:
    including of Artillery as an effectively 3/2/2/4 unit when used properly
    bombers reduced in price to 12
    fighters reduced to price of 10
    subs reduced in price to 6 and becoming a 2/1/2/6 unit
    tanks becoming a 3/3/2/5 unit, which by increasing their defense by 1 meant that people would now actually buy them and thereby have more offensive punch in general from simply having more of them around (in AA classic, people bought close to 100% infantry)

I love the idea of a fighter bomber, effectively 4/3/4/11, when used properly, would give another option for offensive action at sea (and ground too).
    I kind of like the idea of mech infantry as a 1/2/2/4 unit, which obviously would be built for offensive action to reach the front, but does not have the attack power to be much more than a hit soaker.  I would much more hope that there could be a 2/2/2/4 unit instead, or that the mech inf could bring art with them when coupled 1:1, or that since tanks are being increased to 3/3/2/6, we now need a 3/1/2/5 unit or something.

I disagree with the idea of purely offensive unit.  This game has too much defense already with infantry costing so little (their attack and defense rolls are perfect, but the fact that they cost 3ipc per hit point makes them the best unit in the game by far.  tanks will soon cost 6ipcs per hit point, which is horrible.  hit points are a stat that is not looked at enough)

• Blockhouse does not move its defensive only. It makes alot of sence to have something that gives a sting against landing troops hitting 33% for 8 IPC. Its a great defense and the damage it does perfectly models the fear the allies had about landing against a properly built up defense. Germany never did complete this proper defense, but having this unit makes somebody think twice about a “raid” vs a real invasion and stops the idea of taking france 50 times a game just to collect income for both sides.

Plus how do you think the Maginot line is going to be represented? The Siegfried line?

• Customizer

@Imperious:

Blockhouse does not move its defensive only. It makes alot of sence to have something that gives a sting against landing troops hitting 33% for 8 IPC. Its a great defense and the damage it does perfectly models the fear the allies had about landing against a properly built up defense. Germany never did complete this proper defense, but having this unit makes somebody think twice about a “raid” vs a real invasion and stops the idea of taking france 50 times a game just to collect income for both sides.

Plus how do you think the Maginot line is going to be represented? The Siegfried line?

i think it would do exactly the opposite of what you intend
    instead of forcing the allies to attack with overwhelming forces, you are actually forcing them to either attack with as few as possible or not attack at all.
    if i attacked with overwhelming forces of 10 tanks and 10 infantry, against say just 1 infantry and 1 blockhouse unit, then you would get to roll a 2 against all 20 of my land units, even though all you have is just 1 inf and 1 blockhouse.

how about this instead:
    blockhouse units: after shorebombard fires a 2 out of 6 for each defending infantry, up to 4 times, during first round of combat only.  Any casualties still get their casualty shots just like ShoreBombarding.  (defender still gets to choose casualties, multiple blockhouses require additional defending infantry, ie: if the germans have 6 infantry and 2 blockhouses in france, then the blockhouses would fire a grand total of 6 times.  if you had 10 infantry and 2 blockhouses, the blockhouses would fire a grand total of 8 times)
    my version is not dependent on the number of people attacking, and so if i attack with 2 tanks against a blockhouse being manned by 2 infantry, then you could wipe out my invasion force first round.  This gives me an incentive to bring more units, while your version gives me an incentive not to bring more units.
    [the numbers could change, it could be a 1 out of 6 for the defense, or it could be 3 inf it gets paired with, or it could cost 10 ipcs, etc.  its the concept that is different]

I still disagree even with my version though, because i don’t think we need any more emphasis on defense than there already is.

• i think it would do exactly the opposite of what you intend
    instead of forcing the allies to attack with overwhelming forces, you are actually forcing them to either attack with as few as possible or not attack at all.
    if i attacked with overwhelming forces of 10 tanks and 10 infantry, against say just 1 infantry and 1 blockhouse unit, then you would get to roll a 2 against all 20 of my land units, even though all you have is just 1 inf and 1 blockhouse.

I played it out and i find that players will attack with lots of forces, because after the first round the defender gets crushed, while a smaller force the large change would occur in losing even 1-2 units from this unit, but if you got 20 pieces, and lose say 6, you still got 14 units to do the job, while if you land 6 units and lose 2 you are not gonna take it if the defender has anything to back it up.

I could suggest one thing however, the blockhouse only works against infantry at 2 and all other landing units at 1?

Soft targets are so much more easy to wipe out with the various defenses symbolized by this unit.

• Customizer

so basically, i could just have 1 blockhouse unit in the territory, nothing else…. and i could deal you 40 ipcs of damage…

you should make it stop throwing dice after a certain number of units, that will be an incentive to bring more than that number of units

have it stop firing after like 6 units

• But it’s simple: if Normandy only has a blockhouse as defense and nothing more, just unload 4 infs in attack phase (to ensure at least one survive) and later unload the big pack in non combat moves  :-D

• so basically, i could just have 1 blockhouse unit in the territory, nothing else…. and i could deal you 40 ipcs of damage…

Potentially yes  if you land 120 IPC worth of pieces  (40 infantry losing 13) and hit at 33%, but also potentially nothing at all and 8 IPC wasted because they land somewhere where you don’t have a blockhouse,

what price would a unit hitting at 2 or less on the first round cost in an AA game?  Everything has its price and hitting at 1 is insufficient sting. should it cost 10 IPC or 12 IPC?

• Customizer

One day, we’ll have:

Collect money at start of turn (no silly double pay-outs)

Ships in port preventing early naval wipeouts

No use of captured factories

Unlimited rail movement in non-combat

Capitals treated as any other territory

Soviet-Japanese Neutrality Pact

Correct roundels for each country

It’ll still be Axis and Allies.

It just won’t be Larry Harris’s Axis and Allies.

@Imperious:

Well I can say the Mechanized Infantry and Fighter-Bomber pieces were pushed for many years by direct and indirect means at my disposal and its true if you say something long enough it begins to sink in and take hold. Neutrals were another matter and finally a breakthrough was made by the combined work of many others as well who didn’t like the idea that the design conveniently swept them under a rug and ignored their existence. Lastly, we bugged him for a start date in 1939, but got 1940, which is guess is at least something.

Its a matter of time before we get some other things done that make it more historical.

• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

Collect money at start of turn (no silly double pay-outs)

Ships in port preventing early naval wipeouts……AGREED

No use of captured factories…AGREED

Unlimited rail movement in non-combat…AGREED, NEED RAILWAYS ON MAP

Capitals treated as any other territory…??

Soviet-Japanese Neutrality Pact…AGREED

Correct roundels for each country…AGREED, I HAD IL FIX MY MAP FOR ME WITH CORRECT ROUNDELS.

• OK the blockhouse with the values that i describe…how much ? Everything must have a cost. original cost is 8 IPC, but perhaps 10, 12?

• Customizer

One day, we’ll have:

Collect money at start of turn (no silly double pay-outs)  –-  Why?  I don’t see the point in collecting at the beginning of the turn.  I hate defensive games, and providing IPCs for territories you capture during your turn makes the game a more offensive oriented game.  I don’t agree

Ships in port preventing early naval wipeouts  — Ships in port should be easier to destroy.  Pearl Harbor anyone?  Ships gathered in port can not move well, can not evade bombs, clog with other ships, create traffic jams, and when sunk, create huge obstacles in the port that prevent the port from being used by other ships.  Not to mention that you have a ton of ships all gathered in one nice easy small place to hit with your torpedo bombers and dive bombers.  I think ports should have a free AA gun, but that the ships in the port should roll their defense at 1 less than normal (and they should cost 10% discount to rebuild after they are sunk).  so I disagree again.

No use of captured factories  — I think factories should have the option to be destroyed by your own forces.  Give them 2 hit points, and allow friendly forces to target them during battle or as an attack.  I disagree again.

Unlimited rail movement in non-combat  — unlimited is a lot.  I think all units should get 1 extra move during non-combat within friendly territories that are connected by railroads.

Capitals treated as any other territory  — There should be some advantage to taking a capital, but the current advantage is far to big.  Perhaps something like this: Instead of capturing all their IPCs, you instead destroy half their IPCs (and the other half remain with the player who just lost their capital), and you can continue to build units but you can not collect income until liberated.

Soviet-Japanese Neutrality Pact  — This isn’t diplomacy, this is Axis and Allies played on the entire globe.  Totally disagree

Correct roundels for each country  — don’t really care, as long as they are similar enough i’m fine with it

RE: IL, since they are firing at 2 out of 6, they should cost double what an AA gun costs since AA guns fire at 1 out of 6 and cost 6 ipcs, therefore blockhouses should cost 12.  I also think that when they are captured they should be destroyed, unlike AA guns that are still useful against the enemy, blockhouses will be pointed the wrong way and are immobile concrete structures after they are set in place.  (how silly it would be if Germany capture the maginot line and then moves it to Normandy, or the Allies capture Normandy and move it with their front all the way into germany…)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m