• This topic needs further discussion.

• Whatever Rommel got, in 44 it was way to late. Germany could kill more allied soldiers on the beaches, or a few miles on shore, but it would only prolong the inevitable.

WW2 ended in 43, if not before, then it was absolutely done deal.

• @ABWorsham:

This is a question my father posed to me several years ago. Although I don’t support his thoughts that the Allies would be pushed back into the English Channel, I do agree that it could have proved fatal for Omaha beach.

What’s your thoughts?

i also happen to agree with you guys…only higher casualties would have occured at Normandy…
    Maybe a push back but i doubt it

• you all saying that they would have done damage (Axis) but wouldn’t be able to stop the inevitable…not that I wanna proof you wrong but it seems to me that you forgot under wich circumstances and risks this whole Operation was running?!..and in all that chaos the Allies remained in their Beachheads and broke out into the open…a lot of things went wrong and not according to plan,but still freed France…It would take either a Tank ,a Brigade or a Division to show up somewhere ,where you at least would have expected it and things would have changed…so there was the possibility that the allies would have failed!!!..and that they would try it again in a short time of period?..I doubt it!!..it was a close call and now we are all glad that it went down that road but for a very high cost!!!..
    A quater million Allied soldiers lost their lives during the 13 Phases of D-Day, the number wich The Staff of United States Army figured they would have as casulties from Normandy to Berlin!!!..

Add up all the posibilities to prevent the Landing or kill the beachheads and maybe you will change your mind!..just think for a minute Gen.May.  Bayerlein would insist of doing what it wanted to do and so on, or the Luftwaffe would have been not sent to russia…

• The Soviets were already advancing on the Germans before D-Day.  With their war industry tucked away into the Urals and Siberia, Germany could not effectively conduct operations to slow down these factories besides attempts at closing off Lend Lease.  The Soviets were out producing the Germans at a pretty substantial margine by now. The only change would be the Soviets beating the other allies to Berlin by a larger margin and possiblly having covered and taken more control of Germany and Berlin in its entirety.

• FDR said that if the invasion failed, they would try again.
    I thought it was a general consensus that the Normandy invasion didn’t change much for WW2, it helped make it shorter, but mostly, it prevented Stalin taking over most of Western Europe. The Normandy invasion had a bigger impact on the cold war than WW2.

• @Subotai:

FDR said that if the invasion failed, they would try again.
    I thought it was a general consensus that the Normandy invasion didn’t change much for WW2, it helped make it shorter, but mostly, it prevented Stalin taking over most of Western Europe. The Normandy invasion had a bigger impact on the cold war than WW2.

Right on point

• @ABWorsham:

This topic needs further discussion.

Are you digging through the archives or what?

Rommel could not have stopped the inevitable.

• LoL I’m busted Brain Damaged.

• I’m sure there is some good stuff buried in the archives in this forum.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m