• Firstly, I apologize if this is on the wrong part of the forum, I couldn’t find a place for quick questions.

In an upcoming game, I am going to be allies with a base bid of 14, and using the sum of two rolled dice for additional ipcs (unless I roll snake eyes, then I can reroll a die.) I was wondering where to best use these ipcs?

My thought was a sub for the med, and a DD for the English Channel, to negate any first strike. Doing more research, I see the Scotland fighter being touted, as well as a Russian Fighter to be flown to Yunnan. We’re playing G40 2nd ed, with the addition of the Vichy rule from BM3.

Any guidance or assistance would be appreciated :)

• @bakerbei A fighter in Scotland with a sub in 110 or 111 will save half the English fleet. An infantry in Yunnan with an extra fighter in Russia will hold Yunnan on J1 making life tougher for Japan; assuming you fly all your Russian planes to Yunnan. The sub in the Med at 98 will make Taranto easier if you are going with that tactic vs Gibastian.

BTW you are way under Bid as the Allies. The absolute minimum Allied bid should be 30. Most bids are 45-55.

• @AndrewAAGamer I agree, I like having a higher bid, but I’ve played a few games and won them with decreasing amounts of bid. We started at like 60 and I’ve won almost every game. The last one I won, I had a bid of 24 which I was okay with.

In your opinion though, if you had an 18 ipc bid, where would you place it and why?

• @AndrewAAGamer said in Assistance with the bidding rules:

@bakerbei A fighter in Scotland with a sub in 110 or 111 will save half the English fleet. An infantry in Yunnan with an extra fighter in Russia will hold Yunnan on J1 making life tougher for Japan; assuming you fly all your Russian planes to Yunnan. The sub in the Med at 98 will make Taranto easier if you are going with that tactic vs Gibastian.

BTW you are way under Bid as the Allies. The absolute minimum Allied bid should be 30. Most bids are 45-55.

You can see bids as a handicap thing to even out skill difference.
    If there is a bigger skill disparity the bids need to be bigger, if the other guy is bad with axis then a lower bid can work.

A DD in the channel is a bad idea, sure the first strike thing is annoying but it also allows germany to not send the BB and just use 2 subs as casualties for your scramble hits if you scramble.

• @shadowhawk So Germany normally sends the Bismarck to the channel? Last time I was axis, I sent 2 SS and 3 fighters, 3 tacticals, and 1 strategic bomber. For the Scottish fleet, I sent the BB, 2 subs, and 1 of each of the fighter, tactical and strategic bomber. I don’t want to get too lost in the strategic weeds here though, haha.

So if I put a sub in the med for Taranto, should I put a fighter in Scotland? Is there (in your opinion) a better use for the bid?

• @bakerbei

You dont really need the sub, the figher in schotland makes things interesting for germany.
    Adding a DD off gibraltar is nice keeps that cruiser alive. Or at least forces germany to send 2 or more subs and even then its pretty risky battle for germany.

You can also put a sub off scotland. Combined with a plane it could make things interesting. Especially since germany has to buy a carrier to attack like you mentioned.

With just 2 subs and 7 air the UK can scramble 3 air.
    Their air can only hit your air. With the BB or a DD in 110 the UK air can hit the BB or the subs making scramble a lot worst.

The first strike doesnt to anything in 110 anyway, the first hit will be on the BB which can hit back. Only if they make 2 hits does it make a difference, would you put a bid in a place where 1/9 times it makes a small difference?

Putting it in SZ91 will make a much bigger difference, even putting it with the fleet off schotland would be better.

Interesting things:
    Add a art in alexandria and a mech or tank in egypt and destroy tobruk at the same time as destroying the italian fleet.

Put a transport off south afrika so you can take iraq round 1, or if doing taranto put the troops from malta on greece ( your planes from the carrier can land ) and still do your things around east afrika.

If your opponent allows, add an AA gun to china, japan has to attack with planes so you can get 3 shots. Its a gambit though.

• @bakerbei said in Assistance with the bidding rules:

In your opinion though, if you had an 18 ipc bid, where would you place it and why?

With only $18 I would put a fighter in Scotland and an SS in 110. Give the remaining $2 to UK Europe.

The reason I would do this is it saves one of the two main UK fleets. Germany does not have enough firepower to safely hit 110 and 111 with the 2 extra defending units. Then the SS in 110 will survive and it can join the UK Med fleet for Gibastion then start convoy disruption against Italy. The extra $2 allows the UK to build a factory for Egypt, an airbase for Gibraltar and an infantry for London.

This makes UK safe from Sealion and starts them down the road to be able to have a big enough fleet, combined with the US, to make landings on the Continent ASAP,

• @AndrewAAGamer said in Assistance with the bidding rules:

@bakerbei said in Assistance with the bidding rules:

With only $18 I would put a fighter in Scotland and an SS in 110. Give the remaining $2 to UK Europe.

The reason I would do this is it saves one of the two main UK fleets. Germany does not have enough firepower to safely hit 110 and 111 with the 2 extra defending units. Then the SS in 110 will survive and it can join the UK Med fleet for Gibastion then start convoy disruption against Italy. The extra $2 allows the UK to build a factory for Egypt, an airbase for Gibraltar and an infantry for London.

This makes UK safe from Sealion and starts them down the road to be able to have a big enough fleet, combined with the US, to make landings on the Continent ASAP,

Im puzzled by the sub in 110, would it not be better to put a DD in 111 instead.
    110 if germany hits 2 times with subs yea it gives you a cruiser shot.
    Unless you intend to take 1 hit on the sub first as the sub cannot hit air and the 2 cruisers + BB will hit subs first.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m