VictoryFirst (Germany) vs. The_Good_Captain (Allies) | Original Europe, Game 1

• @The_Good_Captain

If you now click on Game Options before starting the game, you can type in the bid you want and it will work. No need to place 12 IPC for Russia and then edit.

I put four infantry into Romania.

• @VictoryFirst what do you think?

6721dc2e-349e-4bbd-8919-187adf5449a3-image.png

• @The_Good_Captain

That’s weird. I put those flags in my game folder and then sent that folder to you, so they should be in yours as well.

First, go to the game’s folder, then click on “map” and then “flags”. Can you see three PNGs with “Middle_East” in the name?

If yes, make sure the path is like this:

• downloadedMapseurope_fix\map\flags

I am sure they are in your flags folder because I just downloaded the zip file I sent you and I saw them in the flags folder.

• Annoying I can’t edit my posts here :)

The path should look like this:

triplea\downloadedMaps\europe_fix\maps\flags

• Oh my god another typo. Ignore all these other posts, this is what the path should look like.

triplea\downloadedMaps\europe_fix\map\flags

• @VictoryFirst I may not be computer literate enough to know precisely what you’re asking me to do but hopefully this picture helps? This is the current path to my map in TripleA all the way down to the flags:

7bcba166-056a-4867-82d1-f682e2acc80d-image.png

• @The_Good_Captain

Thank you. This is very strange, everything looks correct. It says it cannot find the Middle East small flag but it is right there.

I suggest restarting TripleA and trying it one more time.

• @VictoryFirst

I rebooted my game, my comp and then tried opening my own game (not the saved game) and nothing has worked so far. Same message every time. Odd…

• Huh… Well I guess the universe doesn’t want us to play on the fixed version :)

I was able to get your exact error by removing the Middle_East_small.png from my flags folder, so your game for some reason thinks the flag isn’t there but it surely is.

I have no explanation for this. The only thing I can think of is that triplea somehow got confused with the other europe map you already have installed, but that would also be strange. Perhaps you could try to move the other europe map to somewhere else, and then try to open “europe -fix” again?

I suggest we play on the original version then. Preferably the Beta one, because I looked through the game files of the Alpha and it said: “incomplete”. I wasn’t able to see what was incomplete, but I guess it’s safest to use the other one.

• @VictoryFirst said in VictoryFirst (Germany) vs. The_Good_Captain (Allies) | Original Europe, Game 1:

Huh… Well I guess the universe doesn’t want us to play on the fixed version :)

I was able to get your exact error by removing the Middle_East_small.png from my flags folder, so your game for some reason thinks the flag isn’t there but it surely is.

I have no explanation for this. The only thing I can think of is that triplea somehow got confused with the other europe map you already have installed, but that would also be strange. Perhaps you could try to move the other europe map to somewhere else, and then try to open “europe -fix” again?

I suggest we play on the original version then. Preferably the Beta one, because I looked through the game files of the Alpha and it said: “incomplete”. I wasn’t able to see what was incomplete, but I guess it’s safest to use the other one.

Darn, okay - I will tool around with my game files later and see if I can make something work. For now, lets proceed using Beta. Here is the file. I placed two UK infantry in Malta and two Soviet infantry in Ukraine. G1 Ready to Go.tsvg

• Game History

Round: 1

Purchase Units - Germans
            Turning on Edit Mode
            EDIT: Adding units owned by British to Davis Strait Sea Zone: 1 destroyer
            EDIT: Turning off Edit Mode
            Turning on Edit Mode
            EDIT: Removing units owned by British from Davis Strait Sea Zone: 1 destroyer
            Turning on Edit Mode
            EDIT: Adding units owned by British to Malta: 1 infantry
            Turning on Edit Mode
            EDIT: Adding units owned by British to Malta: 1 infantry
            EDIT: Adding units owned by Russians to Ukraine S.S.R.: 2 infantry
            Germans buy 1 bomber and 8 infantry; Remaining resources: 1 PUs; 

Combat Move - Germans
            Battle in East Poland
                Germans attack with 4 armour, 2 artilleries and 9 infantry
                Russians defend with 4 infantry
                    Germans roll dice for 4 armour, 2 artilleries and 9 infantry in East Poland, round 2 : 5/15 hits, 4.50 expected hits
                    Russians roll dice for 4 infantry in East Poland, round 2 : 1/4 hits, 1.33 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the Germans lost in East Poland
                    4 infantry owned by the Russians lost in East Poland
                Germans win with 4 armour, 2 artilleries and 8 infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is 9
                Casualties for Germans: 1 infantry
                Casualties for Russians: 4 infantry
            Battle in Ukraine S.S.R.
                Germans attack with 2 armour, 3 fighters and 7 infantry
                Russians defend with 1 artillery and 6 infantry
                    Germans roll dice for 2 armour, 3 fighters and 7 infantry in Ukraine S.S.R., round 2 : 3/12 hits, 3.67 expected hits
                    Russians roll dice for 1 artillery and 6 infantry in Ukraine S.S.R., round 2 : 3/7 hits, 2.33 expected hits
                    3 infantry owned by the Germans lost in Ukraine S.S.R.
                    3 infantry owned by the Russians lost in Ukraine S.S.R.
                    Germans roll dice for 2 armour, 3 fighters and 4 infantry in Ukraine S.S.R., round 3 : 3/9 hits, 3.17 expected hits
                    Russians roll dice for 1 artillery and 3 infantry in Ukraine S.S.R., round 3 : 3/4 hits, 1.33 expected hits
                    3 infantry owned by the Germans lost in Ukraine S.S.R.
                    3 infantry owned by the Russians lost in Ukraine S.S.R.
                3 fighters owned by the Germans retreated
                1 infantry owned by the Germans and 2 armour owned by the Germans retreated to Rumania
                Russians win with 1 artillery remaining. Battle score for attacker is 0
                Casualties for Germans: 6 infantry
                Casualties for Russians: 6 infantry
            Battle in Celtic Sea Sea Zone
                Germans attack with 1 fighter and 3 submarines
                British defend with 1 destroyer and 2 transports
                    Germans roll dice for 3 submarines in Celtic Sea Sea Zone, round 2 : 0/3 hits, 1.00 expected hits
                    Germans roll dice for 1 fighter in Celtic Sea Sea Zone, round 2 : 0/1 hits, 0.50 expected hits
                    British roll dice for 1 destroyer and 2 transports in Celtic Sea Sea Zone, round 2 : 0/3 hits, 0.83 expected hits
                    Germans roll dice for 3 submarines in Celtic Sea Sea Zone, round 3 : 3/3 hits, 1.00 expected hits
                    British roll dice for 1 destroyer and 2 transports in Celtic Sea Sea Zone, round 3 : 2/3 hits, 0.83 expected hits
                    2 submarines owned by the Germans lost in Celtic Sea Sea Zone
                    1 destroyer owned by the British and 2 transports owned by the British lost in Celtic Sea Sea Zone
                Germans win with 1 fighter and 1 submarine remaining. Battle score for attacker is 12
                Casualties for Germans: 2 submarines
                Casualties for British: 1 destroyer and 2 transports
            Battle in U.S. Eastern Coast Sea Zone
                Germans attack with 4 submarines
                Americans defend with 1 destroyer and 1 transport
                    Germans roll dice for 4 submarines in U.S. Eastern Coast Sea Zone, round 2 : 3/4 hits, 1.33 expected hits
                    Americans roll dice for 1 destroyer and 1 transport in U.S. Eastern Coast Sea Zone, round 2 : 0/2 hits, 0.67 expected hits
                    1 destroyer owned by the Americans and 1 transport owned by the Americans lost in U.S. Eastern Coast Sea Zone
                Germans win with 4 submarines remaining. Battle score for attacker is 20
                Casualties for Americans: 1 destroyer and 1 transport
            Battle in North Sea Sea Zone
                Germans attack with 1 bomber, 2 fighters and 3 submarines
                British defend with 1 battleship, 1 destroyer and 1 transport
                    Germans roll dice for 3 submarines in North Sea Sea Zone, round 2 : 0/3 hits, 1.00 expected hits
                    Germans roll dice for 1 bomber and 2 fighters in North Sea Sea Zone, round 2 : 2/3 hits, 1.67 expected hits
                Units damaged: 1 battleship owned by the British
                    British roll dice for 1 battleship, 1 destroyer and 1 transport in North Sea Sea Zone, round 2 : 2/3 hits, 1.33 expected hits
                    2 submarines owned by the Germans lost in North Sea Sea Zone
                    1 transport owned by the British lost in North Sea Sea Zone
                    Germans roll dice for 1 submarine in North Sea Sea Zone, round 3 : 0/1 hits, 0.33 expected hits
                    Germans roll dice for 1 bomber and 2 fighters in North Sea Sea Zone, round 3 : 3/3 hits, 1.67 expected hits
                    British roll dice for 1 battleship and 1 destroyer in North Sea Sea Zone, round 3 : 1/2 hits, 1.17 expected hits
                    1 submarine owned by the Germans lost in North Sea Sea Zone
                    1 destroyer owned by the British and 1 battleship owned by the British lost in North Sea Sea Zone
                Germans win with 1 bomber and 2 fighters remaining. Battle score for attacker is 20
                Casualties for Germans: 3 submarines
                Casualties for British: 1 battleship, 1 destroyer and 1 transport
            Battle in Strait of Gibraltar Sea Zone
                Germans attack with 1 battleship, 1 destroyer and 1 transport
                British defend with 1 destroyer
                    Germans roll dice for 1 battleship, 1 destroyer and 1 transport in Strait of Gibraltar Sea Zone, round 2 : 0/2 hits, 1.17 expected hits
                    British roll dice for 1 destroyer in Strait of Gibraltar Sea Zone, round 2 : 0/1 hits, 0.50 expected hits
                    Germans roll dice for 1 battleship, 1 destroyer and 1 transport in Strait of Gibraltar Sea Zone, round 3 : 1/2 hits, 1.17 expected hits
                    British roll dice for 1 destroyer in Strait of Gibraltar Sea Zone, round 3 : 1/1 hits, 0.50 expected hits
                Units damaged: 1 battleship owned by the Germans
                    1 destroyer owned by the British lost in Strait of Gibraltar Sea Zone
                Germans win with 1 battleship, 1 destroyer and 1 transport remaining. Battle score for attacker is 12
                Casualties for British: 1 destroyer
            1 armour and 7 infantry moved from Rumania to Ukraine S.S.R.
            1 fighter moved from Poland to Ukraine S.S.R.
            1 submarine moved from Halifax Sea Sea Zone to U.S. Convoy 2 Sea Zone
                  Germans take U.S. Convoy 2 Sea Zone from Americans
            1 submarine moved from U.S. Convoy 2 Sea Zone to U.S. Eastern Coast Sea Zone
            1 submarine moved from Mid-Atlantic Sea Zone to U.S. Convoy 1 Sea Zone
                  Germans take U.S. Convoy 1 Sea Zone from Americans
            1 submarine moved from U.S. Convoy 1 Sea Zone to U.S. Eastern Coast Sea Zone
            1 submarine moved from South Atlantic Sea Zone to U.S. Eastern Coast Sea Zone
            1 submarine moved from Azores Sea Sea Zone to U.S. Eastern Coast Sea Zone
            1 submarine moved from Bay of Biscay Sea Zone to Celtic Sea Sea Zone
            1 submarine moved from Bay of Biscay Sea Zone to Celtic Sea Sea Zone
            1 submarine moved from Denmark Strait Sea Zone to Celtic Sea Sea Zone
            1 fighter moved from France to Celtic Sea Sea Zone
            1 submarine moved from Barents Sea Sea Zone to North Sea Sea Zone
            2 submarines moved from Danish Sea Sea Zone to North Sea Sea Zone
            1 fighter moved from Norway to North Sea Sea Zone
            1 bomber moved from Germany to North Sea Sea Zone
            1 fighter moved from Germany to North Sea Sea Zone
            2 armour, 1 artillery and 6 infantry moved from Poland to East Poland
            1 fighter moved from Northern Italy to Ukraine S.S.R.
            1 fighter moved from Germany to Ukraine S.S.R.
            1 armour moved from Hungary to Ukraine S.S.R.
            2 armour moved from Germany to East Poland
            1 artillery and 3 infantry moved from Hungary to East Poland
            1 battleship, 1 destroyer and 1 transport moved from Tyrrhenian Sea Sea Zone to Strait of Gibraltar Sea Zone
                  Germans take East Poland from Russians

Non Combat Move - Germans
            3 fighters moved from Ukraine S.S.R. to Rumania
            2 infantry moved from Bulgaria to Rumania
            2 infantry moved from Yugoslavia to Rumania
            1 artillery and 1 infantry moved from Czechoslovakia to Poland
            2 armour moved from Netherlands-Belgium to Poland
            1 artillery and 1 infantry moved from Germany to Danish Sea Sea Zone
            1 artillery, 1 infantry and 1 transport moved from Danish Sea Sea Zone to Baltic Sea Sea Zone
            1 artillery and 1 infantry moved from Baltic Sea Sea Zone to Finland
            1 artillery and 1 infantry moved from Austria to Hungary
            2 armour moved from Northern Italy to Hungary
            2 armour moved from France to Germany
            4 infantry moved from Eastern France to Germany
            1 artillery moved from France to Netherlands-Belgium
            1 infantry moved from Northern Italy to Southern Italy
            1 infantry moved from Northern Italy to Southern Italy
            3 infantry moved from Germany to Poland
            1 fighter moved from Celtic Sea Sea Zone to France
            1 fighter moved from North Sea Sea Zone to Germany
            1 bomber moved from North Sea Sea Zone to Germany
            1 fighter moved from North Sea Sea Zone to Finland

Place Units - Germans
            2 infantry placed in Northern Italy
            1 bomber and 6 infantry placed in Germany

Turn Complete - Germans
            Germans collect 41 PUs; end with 42 PUs
            1 unit repaired.

Combat Hit Differential Summary :

Americans regular : -0.67
    Russians regular : 2.00
    Germans regular : 0.83
    British regular : 0.83

G1.tsvg

• @VictoryFirst

Game History

Round: 1

Purchase Units - Russians
            Russians buy 8 infantry; Remaining resources: 0 PUs; 

Combat Move - Russians
            1 artillery moved from Ukraine S.S.R. to East Poland
            1 armour and 1 infantry moved from Bessarabia to East Poland
            1 artillery and 4 infantry moved from Belorussia to East Poland
            1 armour, 1 bomber and 1 fighter moved from Moscow to East Poland
            3 infantry moved from Baltic States to East Poland
            1 armour moved from Turkestan to East Poland
            1 armour moved from Caucasus to East Poland

Combat - Russians
            Battle in East Poland
                Russians attack with 4 armour, 2 artilleries, 1 bomber, 1 fighter and 8 infantry
                Germans defend with 4 armour, 2 artilleries and 8 infantry
                    Russians roll dice for 4 armour, 2 artilleries, 1 bomber, 1 fighter and 8 infantry in East Poland, round 2 : 6/16 hits, 5.50 expected hits
                    Germans roll dice for 4 armour, 2 artilleries and 8 infantry in East Poland, round 2 : 3/14 hits, 4.67 expected hits
                    3 infantry owned by the Russians lost in East Poland
                    6 infantry owned by the Germans lost in East Poland
                    Russians roll dice for 4 armour, 2 artilleries, 1 bomber, 1 fighter and 5 infantry in East Poland, round 3 : 5/13 hits, 5.00 expected hits
                    Germans roll dice for 4 armour, 2 artilleries and 2 infantry in East Poland, round 3 : 3/8 hits, 2.67 expected hits
                    3 infantry owned by the Russians lost in East Poland
                    2 artilleries owned by the Germans, 2 infantry owned by the Germans and 1 armour owned by the Germans lost in East Poland
                1 fighter owned by the Russians and 1 bomber owned by the Russians retreated
                2 infantry owned by the Russians, 4 armour owned by the Russians and 2 artilleries owned by the Russians retreated to Belorussia
                Germans win with 3 armour remaining. Battle score for attacker is 19
                Casualties for Russians: 6 infantry
                Casualties for Germans: 1 armour, 2 artilleries and 8 infantry

Non Combat Move - Russians
            1 infantry moved from Caucasus to Ukraine S.S.R.
            1 infantry moved from Leningrad to Baltic States
            4 infantry moved from Moscow to Belorussia
            2 infantry moved from Stalingrad to Belorussia
            2 infantry moved from Caucasus to Stalingrad
            1 infantry moved from Iran to Caucasus
            1 artillery moved from Stalingrad to Belorussia
            3 infantry moved from Turkestan to Belorussia
            1 armour moved from Siberia to Leningrad
            1 armour moved from Archangel to Leningrad
            2 infantry moved from Karelia to Leningrad
            1 infantry moved from Archangel to Karelia
            2 infantry moved from Archangel to Russia
            1 artillery and 4 infantry moved from Russia to Belorussia
            1 artillery and 3 infantry moved from Siberia to Russia
            1 aaGun moved from Archangel to Karelia
            1 aaGun moved from Moscow to Belorussia
            1 bomber and 1 fighter moved from East Poland to Leningrad
            1 transport moved from White Sea Sea Zone to Barents Sea Sea Zone
            1 transport moved from Barents Sea Sea Zone to North Atlantic Sea Zone
            1 submarine moved from White Sea Sea Zone to North Atlantic Sea Zone
            1 infantry moved from Vyborg to Leningrad

Place Units - Russians
            8 infantry placed in Leningrad

Turn Complete - Russians
            Russians collect 23 PUs; end with 23 PUs

Combat Hit Differential Summary :

Germans regular : -1.33
    Russians regular : 0.50

• @VictoryFirst UK CM.tsvg

Since attacking subs is so wonky, I’m going to use the independent roller for the battle of the east coast.

UK destroyer and fighters [dice 3d6]
    UK bomber [dice 1d6]

• 3d6: 6, 4, 4
    1d6: 4

• @VictoryFirst

only one of the German subs off the east coast was destroyed. It will fire back.

For the other three, all some or none may submerge and leave the battle OR stay and roll back.

Hopefully that is clear. Here is the rule reference in the manual from page 10:

“Defending submarines may submerge instead of firing back. The sub is turned on its side to indicate this submerged condition. It remains on its side and may not attack or be attacked again this turn. Submerged subs are returned to their upright position in Action Sequence 6. Note: Submarines are the only defending units in the game that may withdraw from battle.”

• Yeah the dice roller is the best option. I am going to ask in the TripleA feature requests if they can implement this game feature because the rule has already come up in two Axis and Allies games (WW1 1914 and this game).

This is actually a tough decision. If I stay, I have an 80% chance of destroying the destroyer, meaning the air units won’t be able to hit the submarines in the next round. However, if I miss, the air units get a second chance to blast away the submarine fleet. A high-risk high-reward type of thing.

Hehe I like to solve these kinds of problems with maths. So there is an 80% chance I kill a 12 IPC unit, where I will have 8 IPCs already lost. There is a 20% that there is a second round of combat, in which I have an additional 16.7 IPC loss and you a 10 IPC loss on average (using a battle calculator).
    TUV swing: 12 - 8 = 4 (80%) -> 3.2
    TUV swing: 10 - 24.7 = -14.7 (20%) -> -2.94
    So there is a net gain of +0.26 for me

Optionally, I could submerge and let the submarine that already got killed have a chance at killing the destroyer. 33.33% I get a hit.
    TUV swing: 12 - 8 = 4 (33.33%) -> 1.33
    TUV swing: 0 - 8 = -8 (66,67%) -> -5.33
    So a net loss of -4 for me.

So, comparing the two results, I will stay with all my submarines and shoot back at the destroyer.

• Yeah I just had a glance at the map as well, I think staying is the best option.

So here are the four submarine dice rolls:
    [dice 4d6]

• 4d6: 6, 2, 1, 1

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m