Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB

• Ok, @AndrewAAGamer, the floor is yours.

• This is going to be a painful second round. I assume that Germany will reinforce Gibraltar with a couple of planes, making it impervious to UK attack this round. If the UK Atlantic fleet parks in SZ91, I assume that Italy would be very happy to do a mutual-annihilation attack. That would prevent the Allies from having a credible threat in Europe for another few turns.

The main questions will be:

1. what will Italy do with their massive income for the next 3 turns.
    2. will Germany choose a northern or southern route on G3

It is getting close to the point where I would give up as Allies and start a new game.

• @Arthur-Bomber-Harris said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

This is going to be a painful second round. I assume that Germany will reinforce Gibraltar with a couple of planes, making it impervious to UK attack this round. If the UK Atlantic fleet parks in SZ91, I assume that Italy would be very happy to do a mutual-annihilation attack. That would prevent the Allies from having a credible threat in Europe for another few turns.

The main questions will be:

1. what will Italy do with their massive income for the next 3 turns.
    2. will Germany choose a northern or southern route on G3

It is getting close to the point where I would give up as Allies and start a new game.

Luckily I’m behind the wheel and I’m not giving up easily. Ask @666 or @ksmckay. ;)

I have a plan. Maybe not a good one, but as Bent Larsen said, you got to have a plan. And you’re in on it. Just hope my dabbling doesn’t dissuade your interest in the game.

• The next few turns are relatively predictable, and I assume that you will switch a majority of USA spending to the Atlantic side, with UK starting to send reinforcements up to Russia. The bigger questions will be how Andrew starts preparing Fortress Europe, whether he opts for a quicker drive to Moscow, a diversion to the oil fields, or a Dark Skies bomber build. His main decision point will be on turn 2 since this next round has fairly obvious choices for each power.

I personally see this game as a perfect opportunity for Germany to build a bunch of bombers, making it expensive to build a sufficient Allied fleet in the Atlantic, rapidly respond to W Europe expeditionary forces, and still project power into Russia/oil fields.

• I agree. For me this is mainly a learning process, which is the true point of the game, so I stagger on.

• @Arthur-Bomber-Harris said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

The next few turns are relatively predictable, and I assume that you will switch a majority of USA spending to the Atlantic side, with UK starting to send reinforcements up to Russia. The bigger questions will be how Andrew starts preparing Fortress Europe, whether he opts for a quicker drive to Moscow, a diversion to the oil fields, or a Dark Skies bomber build. His main decision point will be on turn 2 since this next round has fairly obvious choices for each power.

I personally see this game as a perfect opportunity for Germany to build a bunch of bombers, making it expensive to build a sufficient Allied fleet in the Atlantic, rapidly respond to W Europe expeditionary forces, and still project power into Russia/oil fields.

I think a quick drive to Moscow (aided by strategic bombing, maybe even Italian strategic bombing) is the way to go, combined with Japan going for India as quickly as possible (after securing DEI). If UK reinforces Moscow, India and the Middle East will fall. Without reinforcement, the Soviet Union will likely fall on G6. With reinforcement,

It would take considerable investment in the Atlantic for the US to catch up and the UK is committed to the middle east.

The Germans can destroy the UK destroyer, place the sub in 125 and start pushing into Russia whenever convenient (enabling strategic bombing to start, very tempting for Italians to buy a second strategic bomber for this purpose that can land into Eastern Poland on I3 and bomb Moscow on I4. The impact of the Italian raids and the general can opening pressure of the Italians (2 existing tanks + 2 fighters + 1 new tank + 2 mech purchased on I2 along with the new bomber) will force the Soviets to turtle.

Bombers can hit Soviet Union on G5 to finish the job.

There’s no chance of Soviets pushing back because the Italian can-opener will be too strong and a few German plans landing in those territories will crush any hope of counteratttack.

Germany would join bombing ray on

• I’m sure Andrew will move forward very solidly. We’ll just try and do our best joint effort, which likely is less strong than singular play.

The next few turns are relatively predictable, and I assume that you will switch a majority of USA spending to the Atlantic side, with UK starting to send reinforcements up to Russia.

We’ll see. Japan is still the biggest threat here.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

Okay let’s think about G2. Is my capital safe? Yes. There is still a large UK fleet so Sealion is still off the table. Thanks to Italy being strong they can fight for the Med and protect Western Europe. That should allow Germany to focus on Russia. Good.

If Germany is going for Moscow I need fast movers to put pressure on Moscow as quickly as possible. There are no possible landings on the Atlantic Wall so I can go 100% against Russia. Since Italy is strong I can take Normandy too with a good change of holding it.

• @AndrewAAGamer said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

Okay let’s think about G2. Is my capital safe? Yes. There is still a large UK fleet so Sealion is still off the table. Thanks to Italy being strong they can fight for the Med and protect Western Europe. That should allow Germany to focus on Russia. Good.

If Germany is going for Moscow I need fast movers to put pressure on Moscow as quickly as possible. There are no possible landings on the Atlantic Wall so I can go 100% against Russia. Since Italy is strong I can take Normandy too with a good change of holding it.

Lots of fast movers, like 3 tanks and 12 mech, BOOM!

• @AndrewAAGamer said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

Another point, not a scratch on the Luftwaffe. :)

Look forward to see if you go in straightaway or wait a turn.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

TripleA Manual Gamesave Post: Germans round 2

TripleA Manual Gamesave Post for game: World War II Global 1940 2nd Edition, version: 4.0

Game History

Round: 2

Research Technology - Germans

Purchase Units - Germans
            Germans buy 3 armour and 12 mech_infantrys; Remaining resources: 0 PUs; 

Combat Move - Germans
            1 cruiser moved from 112 Sea Zone to 110 Sea Zone
            2 fighters and 2 tactical_bombers moved from Western Germany to 110 Sea Zone
            2 artilleries moved from France to Normandy Bordeaux
            1 artillery and 1 mech_infantry moved from France to Holland Belgium
            1 fighter and 1 tactical_bomber moved from Southern Italy to Normandy Bordeaux
            1 fighter and 1 tactical_bomber moved from Western Germany to Holland Belgium
            1 fighter and 1 tactical_bomber moved from Western Germany to 110 Sea Zone
            2 bombers moved from Western Germany to 110 Sea Zone

Combat - Germans

Combat Hit Differential Summary :

Savegame

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

Scramble SZ110? UK sub fights or dives round 1?

• @AndrewAAGamer obvious dive 1/6 chance to take out the cruiser while waiting half a turn means a guaranteed cruiser kill.

• '17 '16 '13 '12

I’m not sure what UK / French fighter would do otherwise, so might be tempted to scramble this, in which case having the sub fight could add some spice to the mix.

It;s a -14 IPC battle vs. a -5 IPC battle. The incremental average loss for Germany is 25 IPC vs. 34 for the UK. That’s borderline attractive. How much do we really care about the French fighter, there’s the rare can opening but even against a lone destroyer, this is not guaranteed to work.

If the sub and/or destroyer hits we could be in for an interesting battle. :)

The fleet should really have been in 110/97, giving too big of a break to Germany here.

Scramble SZ110? UK sub fights or dives round 1?

For me the choice is obvious. Same as the previous turn. I interpret scrambling as a desperate move, hoping for luck. We’re still not in that position that it’s called for. The sub can make a better job of taking out the cr when it’s UK’s turn.

The french fig may work wonders in combination with 1-2 inf or the des. Whether a can-opening works or not, Axis has to relate to the possibility. There’s a chess-term going something like “a threat is stronger than it’s execution”. I think the fig is still too valuable to throw away.

Therefore no dive and no scramble, please. Final decision.

• Discovered this game tonight, and found it to be very interesting analysis for a newer player such as myself. (But learning fast! Played 3 games on board and 7 online in last month! I have caught the bug lol). The biggest thing I personally disagree with so far was UK in the med. My usual UK1 is Taranto, Ethiopia, take Persia, fall back to cairo from Alexandria, drop the facility in Cairo if there is less Sea-lion threat depending on my bid. If Sea-lion threat is strong, I will do like a few infantry and a fighter in London. I don’t go heavy defense because I’m not convinced sealion is actually effective even if it is successful due to the threat of US counter. Rest of IPC going to either UK navy (where depends on what is dead/what ran away, either Canada, 109, etc). Just my two sense, and I am kind of new so take it with a grain of salt. Really enjoying the show y’all. Keep it up! :)

• '20 '19

@trulpen surely you mean dive dive dive don’t you?? Think that maybe a typo??

• @Saber25 said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

Discovered this game tonight, and found it to be very interesting analysis for a newer player such as myself. (But learning fast! Played 3 games on board and 7 online in last month! I have caught the bug lol). The biggest thing I personally disagree with so far was UK in the med. My usual UK1 is Taranto, Ethiopia, take Persia, fall back to cairo from Alexandria, drop the facility in Cairo if there is less Sea-lion threat depending on my bid. If Sea-lion threat is strong, I will do like a few infantry and a fighter in London. I don’t go heavy defense because I’m not convinced sealion is actually effective even if it is successful due to the threat of US counter. Rest of IPC going to either UK navy (where depends on what is dead/what ran away, either Canada, 109, etc). Just my two sense, and I am kind of new so take it with a grain of salt. Really enjoying the show y’all. Keep it up! :)

Welcome! That’s about right. Should’ve done Taranto or stacked z92. Ethiopia is not really called for.

• @wizmark said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

@trulpen surely you mean dive dive dive don’t you?? Think that maybe a typo??

Lol, good you caught it!

1. Submerge
    2. No scramble

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m