• TripleA

sure install triple a and we can play a live game right now.

I am not typing my moves out or using battle maps which does not tell you what pieces were moved / removed / added.

we can play by forum, but not with battlemaps - it is silly to use that now. I am still traumatized by the aa50 tournament of last year, where a guy went all in on germany @ 5% odds though he did not roll my 1 of my inf/artillery or include it in the battle my dice rolls were so bad that one guy did not matter, plus it sucked so much time playing by forum, I may as well have played a live game.

Considering I play pretty fast in a live game (or so I am told), typing movements out / checking opponent / etc is just too much.  Plus I go nuts when people don’t type their movements out, because then I got to count some stuff out. people make too many moosteaks and every little thing matters to me.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Funny, I have the same impression about TripleA. Lol.  They actually develop a random number generator that is, shall we say, random?

I have a new computer coming, it will be built by the 3rd of May and shipped that day.  Probably be able to iunstall a program on about the 10th, I dont want to punch holes in the firewalls on this computer to allow TripleA to work since I’ll be giving it to the kids. (HDD is going, Fans are borken and I’ve seen some nasty test results from the integrated sound card too.  Not worth fixing.)

• TripleA

dude dice is random and should be random. Is the dice not random here?

the rolls come from the marty server usually, where do the rolls come from on here?

I think they come locally from here. It’s random here, but it seems that TripleA gets like 40% hits with AA Guns, at least, it used too.  It was bloody ridiculous and negating a good number of strategies, so at least some of us ditched it, uninstalled it, and never went back.  And the AI sucked.

• TripleA

marty servers are random. In real life sometimes you roll lots of hits with aa guns. I am sorry, but strings of dice do happen naturally. The marty servers are pretty close to a guy taking a die and rolling it out.

AI sucks in almost every game, unless the AI gets cheats like wall hack. I don’t notice too many strings which is weird, considering if I flip a coin 500,000 times there should be long strings of heads or tails.

we shouldn’t really argue about the programming of dice rollers, as close to nature as possible is the ultimate objective for dice servers and random number generators.

I can see the argument for “normalized” dice rollers / number generators that cut out natural strings of the same result. I don’t like that though, because that is different than me having the dice in my hands.

The AI in dogs of war was awesome.  But yea, most of the games AI sucks.

Yes, strings happen, but not over the coarse of two years.  I have the records, I could scan them for you, but it was 42% hits with AA Guns, 28% hits with Infantry, 17% hits with Fighters - this was back when it was only Revised/Classic.

• TripleA

I don’t know, I have not had that problem, so I don’t know what you are talking about. Even back then.

• TripleA

by the way you don’t have to open a port to join my game, I can host.

Not tonight you cant.  You can walk me through it later this week, but for now, I have to get to bed.  It’s quarter to 10 here and i Have to get up at 5.

• TripleA

If I recall triple a always had an option to view total # of rules and the # of times each result came up. I used to look at those things, fluctuation is like real life. I mean you flip a coin ten times, the odds of you getting 5 heads and 5 tails is 25%~ .  The odds of you getting exact average 1 2 3 4 5 6 rolls out of thousand of dice rolls… is pretty damn low. certain dice will show up more than others and it is different with every game, but over the course of thousands of games and millions of dice rolls, you get close to the average.

So you getting the results you got, is not exactly a surprise, but over two years I haven’t seen you play often so I don’t know how many games this is. Also keeping track of the unit being an AA gun, inf, fighter etc… is kind of silly since the dice server does not know what unit you are rolling, the program just takes the results from the dice server and uses that to tell you which units hit or miss… it is not trying to match 1 rolls with units that roll at 1.

normalized dice servers will increase the odds toward an exact average or they simply took a million rolls cut out strings of the same result and they follow a preset string.

I tend to stay away from dice server arguments, because I did not program them. Also a computer program can never truly mimic natural dice rolling, it can extremely close to it though, but I do understand why people only play in real life with the dice in their hands.
    ~
    I have heard complaints of normalized dice results here. It all depends on the programming.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m