• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

First off, in Alpha 2 England to spend and SEND everything to London to save itself from Sea Lion - a bit different than originally described.  This, in effect, handed over the Med, Africa, the Atlantic Ocean and I’ve even see Canada fall because England literally cannot do anything to save it’s holdings - so why bother with sea lion then?

Secondly, in Alpha 3 (current) England can both hold itself AND hold some territories OR really hold their territories and let America liberate on round 8.

Just my opinion

• @Cow:

Nope, never said that. As Axis I plan Sea lion right from G1. Always did.

LOL. no wonder you always lose as axis.

Actually, I never lost here (1vs1)…

• @Cmdr:

First off, in Alpha 2 England to spend and SEND everything to London to save itself from Sea Lion - a bit different than originally described.  This, in effect, handed over the Med, Africa, the Atlantic Ocean and I’ve even see Canada fall because England literally cannot do anything to save it’s holdings - so why bother with sea lion then?

Secondly, in Alpha 3 (current) England can both hold itself AND hold some territories OR really hold their territories and let America liberate on round 8.Â

Just my opinion

I agree with you Jen… which proves my point. What I’m saying is Alpha2 was redo because many (not me) were claiming it was too difficult for Axis to win. Thing is, in Alpha3 it’s even harder. Which is why I rather Alpha 2. That’s all.

• @Cow:

Nope, never said that. As Axis I plan Sea lion right from G1. Always did.

LOL. no wonder you always lose as axis.

Cow, what I think he meant was that he made sure he was able to get Sealion if UK let him.
    He meant just kept the option open - not that he pursued Sealion no matter what.  You’re right that it would be silly to do that.

@Cmdr:

Well Jen, giving Italy the ability to grow and be aggressive is the point of threatening Sealion early on.
    I think though that normally in A2 UK wasn’t quite that bad off.  Yes, bringing planes back on UK 1 let Italy grow.
    But after G2, when Germany either decided to go Sealion (game over, if UK was smart) or Barbarossa, UK could go back to focusing on Italy.  Planes could go back to the Med, and you could start building in Saf and the Middle East.
    It was tough, but it was certainly an interesting fight between the two.

Plus once US showed up in SZ 92, UK could start getting back all the territory it lost.

That’s pretty darn balanced, if you ask me.

• Exactly Alsch.
    I play G1 like I would go for Sea Lion. After that depends. Still, I find it easier to win with Sea Lion even if it’s costly. Why? Is US doesn’t show… Then it’s a single front for Germany. If US does focus in Atlantic, Japan has life easy.

I also agree with your comment on Jen’s statement.

• TripleA

you can still do sea lion, just not if uk has 3 fighters on it after uk1.

I still buy the carrier dd round 1. you can have germany take gibraltar which gives italy his bonus (south france greece and gib instead of egy)

germany can also clear out the naval for italy +5 bonus if needed.

~ the sea lion bluff forces uk to only send out a bomber, if UK knows for sure he can send his transport out to pick up 2 guys off canada and bring it back to UK then he can send out 1 fighter.

If usa is going heavy atlantic, I do not see how Japan is having problems winning the game in pacific.
    ~
    So yes sea lion is still a strategy, you should bluff it if you like serious africa play and follow through if UK sends out too many fighters.

I don’t see what the problem is.

• TripleA

So what i am trying to say is, all previous editions of global sucked because NWO was better.

• TripleA

Japan can not war USA till the end of USA’s turn. Germany can push real hard toward russia. round 1 buy carrier 2 tran, bluff sealion turn around and drop woopass on russia. buy lots of mech/tank starting g3. drop inf/art blitz mech/tanks.

you can make big gains on russian income before having to defend germany. Plus italians in the mix can get down to iraq and persia the long way.

Every game is different, seen lots of crazy stuff. That is what makes it fun. Starting to feel axis has a slight edge to win as of late. allies are way out of position. Started to notice bid for allies games. people are going under 5 for now, very similar trend to aa50, started out even then got played more to a small bid for allies.

• @Cow:

A+2 is stupid like all the other previous editions of global, Every time you start playing you start to feel like you may as well play NWO or WaW or small’s big world. Come on now.

You got to admit in all previous editions one side was gay.

Er…what does this mean?

• TripleA

It means one side was always a 1 trick pony. like sea lion every game. calcutta 3 every game etc.

Should I go on?

A3 is a little more dynamic in europe as well as other parts of the board.

• @Alsch91:

@Cow:

A+2 is stupid like all the other previous editions of global, Every time you start playing you start to feel like you may as well play NWO or WaW or small’s big world. Come on now.

You got to admit in all previous editions one side was gay.

Er…what does this mean?

I have this thought with every one of Cow’s posts. He has a decent idea, stays semi-on-topic, then insults one minority group or swears.  :roll: :roll: :roll:

• @Cow:

It means one side was always a 1 trick pony. like sea lion every game. calcutta 3 every game etc.

Ahh okay.  I understand what you were saying.

I would disagree, though.  I would argue that in A2 there were several very plausible options and choices for both sides.
    Sealion/Barbarossa and Pac-Strat/balanced Allies are two prominent ones that come to mind.

• TripleA

well usa should have balanced purchases, something needs to go down in pacific for god sake.

• Thankyou cow. You say all the things i think but cant transform into coherent words and sentences

and now bigbadbruce is cowers in the corner ;)

• I’m not disagreeing with that at all, Cow.
    What I was saying that A2 also had strategic choices and varied options to take.

One strategy that US can take is to go %100 Pacific for several of the first turns, crush Japan, and then stop the Euro Axis before they win.
    An interesting allied strategy.

Uncrustable, there’s no reason to insult Bruce.
    If you won’t construct a reasonable point in this discussion, at least don’t simply poke fun at what he thinks.

• @Uncrustable:

and now bigbadbruce is cowers in the corner ;)

Say what?
    Was there any challenge somewhere?
    Should I point out that I never refused a match… and yet, never lost!

I just see no point aguying “believes” and paper strategy. Anyone sawing A2 is cracked and sure lost for Axis, I say they are wrong. So far, nobody proved me wrong… and suggesting an opening is not a proof of any kind.

• Once I bought a carrier, destroyer and sub on G1 and added them to my Baltic fleet only to see them destroyed by the British airforce and one or two ships that survived the German attack on G1. The british lost their units too, but I lost my entire G1 purchase…

• @Koningstiger:

Once I bought a carrier, destroyer and sub on G1 and added them to my Baltic fleet only to see them destroyed by the British airforce and one or two ships that survived the German attack on G1. The british lost their units too, but I lost my entire G1 purchase…

That must have been some really horrible dice, thats a cruiser a sub a destroyer a carrier a battleship and 5 fighters (maybe a couple are tacs)

really really bad dice for uk to kill all that uk lol

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Cow:

well usa should have balanced purchases, something needs to go down in pacific for god sake.

I always wanted a UK rule for USA - in so much as half their economy was in Washington DC  and half was in San Francisco like England is half in India and half in England.  DC is close enough that America could still abandon one side of the game (unlike England) but at least there would be a one round delay on some stuff getting from one side to the other (Fighters built in E. USA could still get to carriers built in W. USA but probably could not make it to naval engagements that round.)

• TripleA

???

you guys totally do not understand anything I say.

If you win games as allies, you do balanced purchases with usa or you lose to japan. I do mostly pacific buys, there is no reason to get more than 4 transports for the atlantic (Except in the sea lion situation) the rest of the atlantic fleet is dedicated to sinking a little baltic fleet or protecting UK navy.

You can also fly fighters into Russia’s capital to save him. march inf through norway -> finland -> wherever.

allies strategy is about working together. heavy pacific purchases can allow for india to send his 3 air units to moscow as well (typically I have somewhere around 10 allies fighters to hold that sucker and a couple bombers).

The battle for russia is often very close in dice games. Germany gets around 30%-50% sometimes 70% odds typically. USA dropping men on europe does not really “save russia” since italy past a certain point is pretty much on europe guard and germany’s air + inf/art can no problem strafe whatever you send.
    ~
    also if things are going great in pacific calcutta can prevent an axis win on the europe half of the map. So USA should be doing pacific heavy buys for a multitude of reasons. (IE MARCH TO EGYPT, which is a must do after russia is gone!)

the biggest reason is the transport chain to doing drops on europe is freaking long.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m