• my daughter’s is the 23rd and my wife’s is the 29th.  when we were dating she told me if i EVER got her a “combined” b-day/christmas gift (she got them her whole life) it would be the LAST gift i bought her.

• Nope, she got her trip to DC (and I don;t even want to MENTION the $350 bar tab at Chi Cha Lounge on U St).  And tonight she got the rest of her B-Day gifts, and Yule gifts are under the Yule tree :-)

• yule be havin’ a good evenin’ my friend :wink:

• After she is done clearing her e-cards from all the girls I will :-D

• Im looking forward to Christmas dinner! The first change in out daily SOS since thanksgiving! :mrgreen:

Merry CHRISTmas everybody. Dont forget to visit your families, and spend every moment as if it were your last.

• “If I could work my will any fool who went about with Merry Christmas on his lips should be boiled in his own pudding and buried…with a stake of holly through his heart.” --Scrooge

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@M36:

Im looking forward to Christmas dinner! The first change in out daily SOS since thanksgiving! :mrgreen:

Merry CHRISTmas everybody. Dont forget to visit your families, and spend every moment as if it were your last.

And happy HOLY days!

I have to make Christmas Eve Dinner, not looking forward to it!

• And happy HOLLY days to you as well.

Damn, once again the pronunciation of the word lends itself more to its Pagan roots than its Christian alteration…

Merry Christmas Y’all! Too bad we can’t do a White Elephant Board Game Exchange…

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@ncscswitch:

And happy HOLLY days to you as well.

Damn, once again the pronunciation of the word lends itself more to its Pagan roots than its Christian alteration…

Actually, holiday comes from holy-day.  It was contracted later.  Pagans didn’t have Holy Days, they had ceremonies, feasts, etc, that coincided with the christian holy days (mainly because we stole them, purified them, sanctified them and made them something worth celebrating, then rammed it all down your throat) but that’s all.

• Pagans didn’t have Holy Days, they had ceremonies, feasts, etc, that coincided with the christian holy days (mainly because we stole them, purified them, sanctified them and made them something worth celebrating, then rammed it all down your throat) but that’s all.

:lol:
    true jen and there is nothing wrong with adapting to traditional festivities that coincide with God’s will (imho)

[attachment deleted by admin]

• @Jennifer:

@ncscswitch:

And happy HOLLY days to you as well.

Actually, holiday comes from holy-day.  It was contracted later.  Pagans didn’t have Holy Days, they had ceremonies, feasts, etc, that coincided with the Christian holy days (mainly because we stole them, purified them, sanctified them and made them something worth celebrating, then rammed it all down your throat) but that’s all.

Don;t tell me about Paganism Jen, I think I am a bit better informed in that department :-P

The point was that HOLLY has been an integral part of Pagan celebration around the Winter Solstice for a hell of a long time (thus the Christian mutation of the Holly Berries representing the Blood of Christ).

Every think that HOLY came from HOLLY?  I mean the Catholics stole and bastardized everything else (including the story of the Resurrection) so why not Holly/Holy?

• what is wrong with metaphorically adapting an integral part of solstice celebrations to christianity?  doesn’t God accept usfor who we are and where we came from? (it is we who continually reject Him)

• Or is the Christian God simply a construct of people who were rejected by the clergy of the various Pagan denomination who then cobbled together various myths from a variety of religions (Judaism, Mithraism, etc.), slapped a name on it, and it somehow stuck and grew?

• somehow?
    even in the face of greater persecution than the Jews faced it stuck and grew miraculous one might say

• But it was not new.

It was the best of Mithraism, the best of Judaism, the best of Paganism, mixed in with a healthy dose of anti-establishment fervor.

And Martin Luther repeated that success 1500 years later when he added HIS Pagan elements, Nationalism, and anti-establishment fervor, and created Protestantism, which grew EVEN FASTER than Catholicism….

• Posted by: ncscswitch

And Martin Luther repeated that success 1500 years later when he added HIS Pagan elements, Nationalism, and anti-establishment fervor, and created Protestantism, which grew EVEN FASTER than Catholicism….

so a christian faith that derided the corruption of catholic rome was a bad thing?
    of course it struck a chord with regular folks who were tired of the twisting of the whole point of Christ’s message

• Don;t get me wrong, I have no argument with Martin Luther’s stance against corruption.

Just realize that technically he is a heretic and Protestantism is heretical.

Also, the point was not about Martin Luther’s revolt against corruption, but to show that, like the original version of Christianity, it was derived from other religion(s) that preceeded it and was DESIGNED to be popular and win people over.  You take Nationalist pride elements, some things from earlier religions that have done well, stir until well blended, and VOILA!

When you trace the origins of Christianity, and compare it to various other religions that existed at the time, it is painfully obvious that Christianity was just a blending of existing religions with a few new elements.  And knowing that, and when looking at the story of the ressurection of Christ in particular and comparing it to the Mithraic myth cycle… well, the “truth” of it becomes a bit hard to believe.  I just don;t see TWO religions in the same area having identical tales of a ressurection, seperated in history by 300 years, and the LATER one is the Gospel Truth.  Far more likely, the later religion stole the entire myth and integrated into their own new religion (Occams Razor).

And if you acknowledge that the ressurection was a “myth theft”, then there is not a hell of a lot of “truth” left to anchor Christianity anymore, is there?

• NC - there was a lot more to Christ than his resurrection.  (also note that Christ is not the first Biblical person to have died and resurrected according to the Bible).

Also i’m not so sure that Protestants are really considered heretics - unless perspective is the important key here.  I have belonged to the Mennonite sect.  They have removed any vestige of Catholic or Protestant artifact-of-faith and try to adhere to the New Testament in theology as closely as possible.  I suppose that we could be considered heretics, however from a purely doctrinal stance, this is an inaccurate label.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m