• Seems like AP describes it well why this never will happen. If Ger wants a tiny chance to succeed, they will need to buy at least 24 ipcs per turn for air to attack NOR, they would need at least 20 ipcs to encounter Russian attacks on EEu, and they would need at least 8 ipcs for building a navy (all per turn). 52 ipcs per turn to make this happen, and still it will look bad on all fronts (36/24/16 ipcs -> 76 ipcs is more likely to get acceptable chances), given that US is doing nothing. So even in an unlikely scenario its impossible (nothing is impossible with a dicegame, but you know what I mean).

• Yes, it was against the “Dopey AI”. I have no other opponents to play against. None the less, it did happen. England routinely built a carrier and fighters until I moved my navy up to restrict their production to only transports (which were easily destroyed each time) and infantry. But, by that time I had produced enough infantry to continueously attach England with all that I had until it was depleted. And the US fell quickly after that (I wasn’t exactly watching the US that closely, but I assume they were pushing the Pacific theatre). I didn’t say it was the best strategy. I said it was a different scenerio. Were we not talking about different First Turn Builds for Germany? “why this never will happen” …but you already knew that, didn’t you?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Again, you are assuming a skill level for players.

If someone of sufficient skill was playing Germany against 3 novice allies, one would HOPE they play a game like this just to help even the odds a bit.

I would never play my “A” game against someone who’s a novice. But I also wouldn’t just let them win. A good comprimise is to try new strategies you wouldn’t dare play in a veteran game.

• I totally agree. I only attempt these scenerios for the love of the game. Since I’m playing an AI that will seemingly never change…why not try something new? What fun is it to annihilate another player the same way everytime? What appreciation is derived from beating someone that you knew you would beat from the beginning? Victory is much more sweet when odds are overcome.

• Jacob,

why dont you join an online A&A club? Lots of competition and skilled players outthere.

• PBEM? I’ve never played before. Not exactly sure how it works. I’ve studied discussions on here to try to decypher it somewhat, but maybe I’m just too lamen. I’m afraid it’ll have to be explained. I’m only online at work. I don’t have internet at home. I’m afraid I won’t be able to respond fast enough or often enough for most opponents.

• There are 2 types of online A&A. CD-games obiously wouldnt fit, but Play By Email maybe would. You can determine your own game speed (1 turn a day, 1 turn in 3 days, multiple turns a day etc). Furthermore there are tools for pbem such as maptools and online diceservers.

I’d love a PBEM game, however, there isn’t a place in my house I could leave a board set up for more then 30 minutes. (assuming I start setting up the board when my son starts his nap…)

Too bad there isn’t a remote hosting site that can leave a board set up on their servers and allow someone with a mouse to manipulate it as needed…

• '19 Moderator

There are several utilities available that basicly amount to a map file that you email along with your turn orders to your opponent.

Not near as good as a face to face game, but when you have a hard time finding players or your looking for some varied competition it works.

• If you want to try A&A pbem, try http://www.dicey.net/nuke/ (AAMC). Lots of info and help. The download section contains some maptools, so you dont need to have a real gameboard.

• I have Jennifer’s dilemma, except mine’s worse. I don’t even have a board or pieces in my dorm - they are at home. I have a burnt copy of the CD-rom but it won’t play online.

And yeah… you can beat the CD-rom’s UK/USA without USSR. I did it in three turns once. Turn one, built 4 transports and put them in the baltic. Britain attacked with its fighters but lost both and I kept 3 transports (Russia attacked Finland and failed so I’d kept the previous and I lost my sub first). The UK had built its usual carrier/transport/infantry so next turn I just landed 6 men and all my air and took UK. Now - here’s the best part - USA did THEIR usual move of putting everything into Eastern Canada! LOL! It was too damn funny. Turn three I took the France sub, killed the transport and landing one frigging infantry in the USA and won (the CD doesn’t make you keep the territory for a whole turn). It was too funny for words to express.

• @APolaris:

In theory this should be impossible, simply because (1) with the UK building the right ships, you’d eventually lose so many planes you couldn’t keep attacking, but more importantly (2) if nothing else, the UK could simply build a bunch of infantry. Even if Germany has a production of 42 (and if they’re not aggressive against Russia or at least taking back lost territories, they definitely should not have this) and the UK is as low as 18 (again, unrealistic) the UK would still be able to defend itself. They could build 6 infantry in a turn with 18 IPCs. Germany would not be able to use planes they had lost, and after several turns of attacking carriers and possibly American fighters they most likely have lost the majority unless they stopped hitting UK’s fleet. So they’d be attacking only with infantry and/or armor they could transport - even assuming that the UK didn’t have a fleet that turn to destroy first somehow - the UK would still be building 6 infantry per turn directly on London, while Germany would have to spend 14 IPCs for a transport and 2 infantry to transport them with. Even if you use some of the infantry you start with - an asinine idea in my opinion since it begs of Russia “Take me!” - you’re still only getting the ability to go with 6 infantry a turn (3 transports and 6 men = 42 IPCs) or, even worse, substituting a tank (one unit instead of 2) for 2 men, something I think should never be done in a direct amphibious assault on a one-territory island. 6 offensive men should never match up against 6 on defense, and that’s not even including the fact that the UK will be at least 2 turns’ building ahead of you, since to move transports from Italy to UK will take 2 turns. So in theory, you’re facing a minimum 12-men disadvantage with a lower firing rate, less hits for you to get killed, and the fact that Russia will take your capital without any difficulty should you actually play this idea.

As for hitting the US with Germany before Russia, you’d better hope Japan has heavy bombers, long range aircraft, a laughable number of bombers, transports and men just outside WUSA, and the US player is the dumbest you have ever met. The only times I ever took the US with Germany were against that dopey AI and against a kid with ADD, and only against the AI (not even the kid with ADD) have I ever claimed UK before Russia.

Yes it is impossible against a good player in a standard game, but if you play RR bid game you can bid for transport. Just say 16 ipc bid 2 transports in the baltic.Then if the russian player believes you will use the 2 transport to move more inf to karelia and doesn’t re-enforce UK with 2 inf. You can do OP Sealion first turn, before UK can build inf up.
    BTW I have won it before with 1 inf 1 fitgher and 1 bomber. 8)
    See OP sealion can it be done?

Also AP why even play against AI ? :-?
    And AP, Jen go to AAMC go to the supply depot and download the maptool
    its the A&A board at starting point and you can change it as you make a move. Check it out!

• Thank you morsehead for the suggestion about AAMC. I may check it out when I have more free time.

As for the thing about UK, I had the same idea but figured (1) Bids are cheap and I never play with them, if I’m going to play the axis I just take them as they are and (2) If you buy the transports, Russia can hit them with planes, and if they decline the idea or you’re playing RR, they can still land 2 men + 2 fighters in UK detracting you. That is, however, a nice suggestion on how to get them to start emptying Karelia :)

• Either way Im happy, sealion or more inf for karelia!
    But it can only be done once,and your right it needs to be a russian restricted game.If you re-force england,it means less in karelia but if you retreat to moskow,it means more inf to defend karelia with.I take that every time. :D

Also an extra transport in the Baltic is an 18% higher chance of destroying a Russian fighter if they attack. Any extra fighter they don’t have for defense is all that higher a chance you can take them easier.

And I’ll check out that map tool as well. I’m not 100% pleased with Hasbro’s game. (dice are unrealistic, IMHO, and it isn’t customizable enough.)

There once was a game called Dogs of War or something…I still have the soundtrack…anyone remember it from the mid-1990’s? If so, anyone know if it’s still downloadable?

• '19 Moderator

I’ve seen it around, you have to search pretty hard though. I think I saw it on a free down load site. You can’t buy it because it was an unauthorized game and Hasbro shut it down.

• Also an extra transport in the Baltic is an 18% higher chance of destroying a Russian fighter if they attack. Any extra fighter they don’t have for defense is all that higher a chance you can take them easier.

Yes but it is very much a myth that losing aircraft is an absolute no no. As the Allies I will gladly sacrifice Uk ftrs in exchange for a quicker German departure from Africa, and Russia can get by with just one ftr. Especially if they have to sack that ftr to kill a German baltic fleet. But I’d consider that purchasing units you won’t get to use even if they kill ftrs is not good strategy as you are essentially wasting IPCs. If this is the case why not purchase 4arm ftr on G1. You still waste IPCs but you get a little more out of it by doing so.

• About the dice simulators from that AAMC site… is it just me, or are they only giving the average odds of winning an attack? I don’t see any actual results for dice-rolling or # of hits for either side, or outcomes of battle simulation. All I see for any of them is a graphical representation of the odds of each outcome.

With Abattlemap I can only see a small portion of the board - it doesn’t even encompass Japan or Western US or Australia. Is there some scrolling mechanism I’m missing?

• AP go to AABATTLE 1.1 to see combat results.
    Also check out http://dicey.net/other/login.html
    login and you can test the dicey by only entering your E-mail,dont put a opponets E-mail or AAMC game number.
    With the battlemap to change from europe to full map view F3. :D

“We will be victorious,because we must be victorious,
    for otherwise there would be no sense any more to world history.”

• I can’t see anything happen when I push F3 and there is nothing under view to change. Maybe I have the wrong program? I have abattlemap .79 something.

Where is this AABATTLE 1.1 thing?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m