Accurate Miniature Equivalents for Custom Painting your 1940 E&P

• Customizer

@Variable:

@allworkandnoclay:

@Variable:

Fantastic! I love the later war carriers… And your camo, as always, is awesome!

Thanks - it was ridiculously hard to match colors. WWII “Navy Blue” is not even remotely navy blue. Most all decks were stained a blue color. And the greys ranged from all kinds of shades depending on which site you looked at. I finally found a site with some good images of paint chips and matched it from that (though going with a lighter color because size naturally lightens a color).

While I had fun doing the brown wooden decks of the earlier ones, I did do the Essex(CV 9). I used a dark German grey for the deck since, like you said, it wasn’t very “navy blue”. I’m still conflicted over my color choice on the hellcats but I have some Corsairs on the way from Trumpeter. I will try out a darker blue on a few of those.

Page of interest:

http://www.jpsmodell.de/dc/main_e.htm

Excellent source for color matching.

• What colors would you use to match the standard Axis and Allies game piece colors?

• Customizer

@Brain:

What colors would you use to match the standard Axis and Allies game piece colors?

I just painted on a few spare pieces until I found a good match.

• @allworkandnoclay:

@Brain:

What colors would you use to match the standard Axis and Allies game piece colors?

What colors were they?

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

@Brain:

@allworkandnoclay:

@Brain:

What colors were they?

The name will depend on the brand of paint. Use the above site that AllWork gave us to color match the paints at the store.

• Customizer

@Brain:

I was hoping for a brand of paint and a color.

Sure:

I use Vallejo paints. They’re made in Spain and a bit more expensive and exclusive than other paints, but they’re made specifically for professional model builders and miniature painters.

Vallejo Model Color Series:

ANZAC: Neutral Grey
    Japan: Brown Orange
    USA: Reflective Green

Vallejo Game Color Series:

China: Camouflage Green

I’ve spent about $450 on paints so far. A lot of them I’ve ended up not using, but it’s the only way to get accurate matches as printouts, computer screen displays, and the scale of your project distort the end color.

• Customizer

@Brain:

Are Vallejo paints good for painting metal miniatures?

I’ve never used them on metal minis, but I imagine so - you’d just have to prime them a bit more thoroughly. I use an airbrush for mine, with Vallejo Air Color black.

• You should look into painting metal miniatures. They are way more detailed and worthy of your great paint jobs.

• Customizer

@Brain:

Yes they are - with a primer coat - and make sure you spray a finish on them after (or more than one).

• Kewl work!

• Customizer

@Brain:

@Viracocha:

@Brain:

Yes they are - with a primer coat - and make sure you spray a finish on them after (or more than one).

What is a good primer?

Hmm… I’ve never had any trouble with a particular brand of primer, so any of 'em will do I suppose.  If you’re painting metals, I’d certainly use more than one coat of semi-gloss on the finished pieces.

• Thanks Viracocha, that’s what I thought.

• Customizer

Those painted units are AWESOME!!!  :-o

Great job Allworkandnoclay!

As well as Variable for some wicked work on his units as well.

Thanks guys!

@TwistedAries:

Those painted units are AWESOME!!!  :-o

Great job Allworkandnoclay!

As well as Variable for some wicked work on his units as well.

Thanks guys!

Thanks for the props! I will let you all in on a new secret… I’ve started painting BotB! Starting with US, then the few Brit troops, and ending with zee Germans. I will keep everyone up to date with a thread in the BotB forum.

• Allwork your set is finished if I’m not mistaken. Are you working on a price.

@finnman:

Allwork your set is finished if I’m not mistaken. Are you working on a price.

He hasn’t done the Brits for India yet to complete the P40 set. Plus, he’s painted some extra pieces outside the P40 set like the US trucks.

• @Imperious:

No its called the Doomsday Chicken variation. I play it like a berserker who may attack anybody, while they try to win. Its moves are random and it can take damage and die. Some newTechs allow you to control it for a time, but the enemy can blow up the transmitter that controls it.

I also play a Giant Ants variation based on Them! 50’s sci-fi movie

Them! was an awesome movie!

• Man the Navy of the US was awesome! I can’t wait to see the Russian and German pieces in action.

• When are you going to give us a price?

I’d like to order a set pleeease.

• @maverick_76:

Man the Navy of the US was awesome! I can’t wait to see the Russian and German pieces in action.

I guess we are going to have to wait for AAE40.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m