WW2 Spring 1942 "Ironclad" - an enhanced AA50 game on TripleA

• The Commonwealth

The Commonwealth can be added as a separate player from the United Kingdom. It comprises Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa (6 territories, 10 IPCs), as well as the territory of Papua (no IPC value). It will never grow bigger than that, as Commonwealth troops conquer new territories on behalf of UK. It has no capital and can produce units as long as it controls at least one of its core territories. It has no factories and cannot build any, but units can be placed on any core territory (and adjacent sea zones) with the limitation of 1 unit per IPC value of the territory.

The Commonwealth play first in the game (before the Japanese), which may well upset the usual opening strategies of Germany and Japan.

New Zealand.png
    New Zealand has been buffed with a fighter and a cruiser… But they are so far… (newly added Sea Zone 66 is partially out of the board)

Billion Dollar Gift
    Each round, before Purchase phase, the Commonwealth can decide EITHER to give ALL their IPCs to the United Kingdom (who can use it directly during their turn) OR to use them for national production.

Save the Empire
    If London falls to the Axis, and if the Commonwealth still controls at least one of its victory cities (Ottawa or Sydney), they collect additional IPCs for all territories still controlled by UK at the end of their turn. This money can be used to produce units (but the same restrictions regarding placement of units apply).

If London is later liberated, money collection reverts to normal rules.

• Neutral powers

Neutral powers are countries that haven’t (yet) joined the war. They have their own armies, fleets, IPC values and naval bases. There are no more impassable territories, but some connections between territories are instead forbiden (in the Alps, the Sahara, the Himalaya and around Mongolia). As in the original game, neutral territories cannot be crossed by land units, nor flew over by aircrafts.

Turkey.png

Axis (and Soviet) agression
    Only Axis players are allowed to invade neutral countries. Each player can decide to launch one (and only one) invasion at the beggining of the Combat Move phase. The attacked territory joins then immediately the Allies side under British command (or Commonwealth in the case of Ireland). All land and sea units defend as if they were normal British (Commonwealth) units. If the invasion doesn’t succeed, the territory and its units remains British (for IPC collection and other purposes). The list of territories that can be attackedthis way is the following:

• Sweden (3 IPC)
    • Switzerland (2 IPC)
    • Ireland (1 IPC) - joins as Commonwealth territory
    • Saudi Arabia (3 IPC)
    • Afghanistan (1 IPC)
    • Turkey (3 IPC)

The Soviet Union can invade the two neutral territories with which it shares direct borders (Afghanistan and Turkey) following the same rules. In this cases, these territories are considered under German control for battle resolution and for the rest of the game.

Iberian Gambit
    Spain and Portugal (and their colonies) are in the middle of a special game between Axis and Allies. UK or USA can persuade Portugal to join their side, but this provokes Spain to immediately join the Axis side (under German command). Italy and Germany can do the opposite: rallying Spain and pushing Portugal to join the Allies (under British command). The “gambit” is announced by the player at the beggining of the Combat Move and can be followed by invasion moves into the concerned territories.

• Portugal (1 IPC), Terceira (0 IPC), Angola (1 IPC), Mozambique (1 IPC)
    • Spain (3 IPC), Tangier (0 IPC), Rio de Oro (0 IPC)

Latin America at war
    The three neutral territories in South America cannot be directly invaded. Instead, they all immediately join the war if any Axis player lands troops in continental America (from Alaska to Brazil, excluding the islands).

• Colombia-Venezuela-Ecuador (2 IPC) - join under American command
    • Peru-Bolivia (1 IPC) - join under American command
    • Argentina-Chile (2 IPC) - join the Axis player who landed the troops.

Soviet–Japanese Neutrality Pact

(special rules for Mongolia - still under playtesting)

• A Azimuth referenced this topic on

• @Azimuth Here from the TripleA forum, because I would very much like to try this out

• @jkprince thank you for your interest ;)

If you send me an e-mail address or alike, I’d be glad to share the folder for a “beta-version”

• Hello!

Thanks to a fruitful discussion with @Black_Elk, I managed to solve the zoom issue I had because of the square format of the map. It is now possible to display the full map on the screen. And as I gained some extra empty space on the right, I implemented… the victory cities board of stamps!

FullScreen.png

Isn’t it neat?

Well, I should still work on it, because it’s hard to find the right balance for transparency. But it is working well: see below examples on how Singapore’s stamp is changing depending on whom managed to occupy the city ;)

SingaporeChi.png SingaporeFre.png SingaporeJap.png

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

@Azimuth F yea looks good !

Did you upload to triplea ? Not seeing it.
    There’s a ton of WW II maps. Maybe rename to “Spring 1942 Ironclad WW II” or some such. Might stand out a bit more. Then again, it could have the opposite affect lol

Nice job :)

• @barnee Thank you :)

No I haven’t uploaded it yet, but I shared the files with some people. There are still a lot of details to clean (it’s endless…)

I am developping two games using the same map, “Ironclad” and “Fall Blau” (further modded, with a reviewed units roster) - so the name on the map is very generic, with the idea that the name of the version will be displayed dinamically below. But this is still WIP.

• @Azimuth You should add the Vichy Hammer on the roundel.

• @CentralCommando Vichy France’s official flag remained the normal tricolour.

Also, France switches back to the Allies once their country is liberated, so it’d just cause confusion

• @jkprince Ah, alright.

• @jkprince indeed 🙂

Thank you both for your interest!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m