• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

I am getting ready to paint my different country ships for my AAA game.
    Does anybody know the correct color (generality / historical) of each country for the overall ship color (excluding camo)

Dutch
    Australia
    Canada
    US
    UK
    Russia
    Germany
    Japan
    Italy

• Grey  :-)

I think some had wood decks. (e.g. Japanese carriers, some cruisers, probably most destroyers and transports, etc.). I’m pretty sure that they were normally always grey though. I think German ships were darker than most. And I think Japanese were a little lighter shade. As far as I know the other countries just had a standard neutral grey that is simular to what the US still uses today.

If you don’t need to be 100% accurate maybe you can do them all grey with a hue of the countries primary color (red for russia, tan for the UK, etc.)

• Here’s the picture of my IJN carrier fleet.

• crusaderiv, did you have some pictures to post? I don’t see any coming up. I would like to see your IJN fleet.

• I painted most of my ships Navy Grey on the hull and some other color on the deck.  I painted a red dot on the IJN carriers and battleships.  As a matter of fact, I didn’t have to paint the decks of the IJN.  I just left them orange.  I know this sounds strange, but once you paint the hull, the deck looks darker, and the orange almost passes for a brown.  I paintedthe decks of my US ships “wood”, the decks of my UK ships “Armor Sand” (the same color I used for tropical british forces), and the decks of the German ships a light grey.  I didn’t have to paint the hulls of the Germans because they were already close enough to Navy Grey.  I did paint the superstructure of the ships a dark color, or silver, depending on who they were.  I know some folks will say these colors are not accurate enough, but they are good enough for me and painted figures really make the game feel better.  Any A&A player that visits to play will leave with drool all over their shirt.

Once you paint the ships, you will want to paint the planes.  You will need aluminum or silver for the “canopy glass”.  I painted the UK fighters either a temperate green or the armor sand color.  The US stuff was OD green.  The germans were painted in a medium grey (a little lighter than the mold plastic).  The Jap planes were painted “sand”.  The Rus planes were painted with a medium to pale brown.

Then you will want to paint the ground units.  Have fun.  I’ve only painted about 3/4 of my original Revised set of pieces, and a few extra pieces from my AAG game.

• I just bought some mini’s from Panzerschiffe and thought I’d paint them a flat, consistent AA color to use them to experiment with some ship-variation house rules.  Does anyone know what the best colors for matching the current AA country colors are?  Also, since the Panzerschiffe mini’s are in some sort of epoxy, what sort of paint should I use?  (Something easily sprayable would be ideal, if it works, as I’m no artist, and not concerned with detailing, only consistency and making them look like they “fit” in with the other pieces.)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m