• I thought I’d throw this up here before I went searching for a more dedicated forum to post it.

Recently updated my iTunes install. Last night I improted a couple of my CDs to the library. Everything is normal, album sizes coming in as expected. On the third disk I try the CD drive doesn’t do what is “normal.” iTunes shows it is still importing the disk despite the fact that it is not spinning and showa the album size as 572 MB when 40MB ish is more usual. Tried a few other disks with similar results. Now as I didn’t change any settings between disks 2 and 3 what might cause the sudden inflation of the file size?

Any experience with this or a similar problem, and can anyone point me to a good website to look for the answer on otherwise?

• Are these cds original or copies?  Do you see any physical damage on the disks?  Did it ever finish importing?

• The CDs are orginal and well cared for. As there was no change in settings between CDs two and three and the first two were fine I can rule that out.  Examination of the settings backs that up. I stopped the import. I uninstalled and reinstalled ITunes and I am still having the same trouble.

I suppose I could let it go and see what it actually imports. But it is as if the program has forgotten how to work the CD drive for importing and doesn’t know it is supposed to compress things. An unknown virus perhaps? My security says everything is clean but who knows? A conflict with abattlemap? Or IE7? I threw up a post on Ilounge and that has been unsuccessful so far but the post has only been up since noonish.

I make fun of people who think the computer is a magic box. Stuff like this makes me rue doing that.

• Ok, some more questions…

Was your drive still reading the disks while they were being imported?  How is your HD space (I don’t think this is it, but might as well ask)?  I would imagine Itunes can import songs into a variety of formats - did this happen to change?  A different format could mean different size.  Also, what is the version you upgraded to?  A virus is a possibility, as well as a conflict, so I wouldn’t rule those out entirely.  Also, have you tried using your cd drive for anything else since this happened?  I’m curious as to whether you have problems with those abilities as well…

• Here is something else that might help, if you have an Ipod:

http://www.slate.com/id/2154994/?nav=fix

• Well I went ahead an imported a disc despite the enormous file size claim and it came in when complete at the normal size. However it took about three times as long as anything I’ve ripped before.

Plenty of HD space. Robust equipment. 2.0 GHz P4 family Processor. 2GB Ram. 48x DVD burning drive. Drive works great. Pretty sure it is narrowed down to a software problem.

I found a thread on iLounge where a few folks mentioned slower ripping since moving to the newest iTunes 7.0.2 or something.

This is just a big  :? I call this a “It doesn’t not work,” problem. It isn’t broken but  it isn’t correct either.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m