• Maybe a class period should mention that other theories do exist and very briefly go over why they exist and why there is not enough evidence in comparision to evolution. So the worst that could come out of this idea is forty or fifty minutes might be wasted IMO.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Yes, but Janus, what I’m espousing is teaching of only fact. As evolution is not fact (and contrary to your statements, is hardly accepted by the scientific community as a whole the world wide but rather only in certain enclaves of the scientific community) and cannot be proved as fact, we should not teach it.

Should students want to learn about it, they can learn the same way they learn about fixing cars, astro-physics, firearm safety, etc…by reading a book or purchasing a class specifically geared towards the exploration of that specific theory.

It’s also very immoral for a government agency, especially one that should be representative of the people, to tell one group of people they are wrong and the other they are right when they cannot make any proof of their assertations. I’m not saying creation is fact and evolution is fiction and I’m not saying evolution is fact and creation is fiction - I’m just saying that neither can be proved with the information we have today and to assume one is right and the other wrong based soley because it is politically convenient at the moment to do so is ridiculous at best and out right harmful at worst.

Imagine that scientists discovered God one day and God told them that he created the world and proved it to them. Now you’d have to reteach all of mankind that evolution was completely wrong and invented in the minds of people with great imagination. Imagine the issues that might be experienced. You’d have people committing suicide, you’d have others that refuse to believe the new theory, etc.

Much better is it to either represent all the theories with equal plausibility, or to not advocate any theory and allow the individual to decide what s/he believes to be true and false - at least in the absense of any physical evidence.

• 2007 AAR League

As Jennifer pointed out I’d have to disagree with talk that the scientific community accepts the that evolution is no longer a theory but fact. I’ve read many books on this subject because as I’m sure you all know by now I am a Christian and I want to support what I believe in and there are many scientists that lean now more towards creationism. If you would pick up the book a Case for a Creator or some of the many other Creationism supporting books out there I’m sure you would see my point.

Sure it takes faith for you to believe in Creationism, but on CNN there was a guy who was on the beach when the tsunami hit in Indonesia and there were about 15 kids that he was in charge of watching and he could see that they weren’t gonna make it. So, he raised up his hand and said in Jesus name stop and the water went around all of them. Now people I’m not making this up it was on CNN, there isn’t any way in the world that you can tell me that there wasn’t some kind of power behind that and things like that happen every day. That’s one thing I think people need more now a days is a little more faith.

Well, on the flip side, UKcommander, I also don’t advocate the teaching creation in public schools for much of the same reasons - that is, it is (A) not proveable as fact beyond a shadow of a doubt (B) is not held as the only method that could have created by the entire religious community (or all christians for that matter) and © it would denounce the faith others have placed in their own idea of man’s commance into being.

That’s why the entire subject should be left for students to study at their liesure or in college where students can elect to study methods and theories of man’s being.

• @Jennifer:

As evolution is not fact (and contrary to your statements, is hardly accepted by the scientific community as a whole the world wide but rather only in certain enclaves of the scientific community) …

What qualifies you to make this statement about the scientific community?

@UKC:

As Jennifer pointed out I’d have to disagree with talk that the scientific community accepts the that evolution is no longer a theory but fact. I’ve read many books on this subject … and there are many scientists that lean now more towards creationism.

“Many” scientists …. how many? Of how many ??
    Even less than a permille can be seen as “many” in absolute numbers.

The Creation-thing is big only in the USA. It is undisputed were i am. The big press it gets and the repeated but baseless claims that it was “disputed” is a political thing. There are people who want it to be disputed, and best to make it so is to call it so repeatedly over. This seems to be a very common strategy to “prove” unproven things.

@UKC:

I’m not making this up it was on CNN

While any scientist who pushes ID does so free of religious nomination, the political wing who pushes it has a different agenda.

• While any scientist who pushes ID does so free of religious nomination, the political wing who pushes it has a different agenda.

I’ve given up trying to explain the fine-tuning argument- either you get it or you don’t (you do know you can compare inifinite sets, right?). You seem perfectly willing to believe in non-carbon based life just to avoid the conclusion of the argument. There is no evidence for consciousness arising out of- say - silicon, and plenty of evidence that it can’t (e.g., the fact that all complex life-forms observed so far are all carbon-based). I don’t think you quite realize what a leap of faith your position requires.

That last line in your quote is pretty revealing: Are you saying that any scientist who pushes ID is “free of religious nomination”? Lol. It’s almost as if you believe scientists are these Spockesque masters of rationality. Oh contrare. They’re just like the rest of us and they all have agendas.

• @Mary:

I’ve given up trying to explain the fine-tuning argument- either you get it or you don’t

I get it and i think it shows nothing. Fine tuning can be explained by the anthropic principle, no creator is needed. To go into probablitities does not matter, as we don’t know how many universes or creators are out there, and thus we have no idea over what our one measurement has to be sampled over.

(you do know you can compare inifinite sets, right?).

Yup.

You seem perfectly willing to believe in non-carbon based life just to avoid the conclusion of the argument.

I have read somewhere that silicon based life could be possible. Well, chemically there is not too much difference between carbon and silicium.

There is no evidence for consciousness arising out of- say - silicon, and plenty of evidence that it can’t (e.g., the fact that all complex life-forms observed so far are all carbon-based).

There is no evidence that it can’t. It just did not happen on this one planet.
    And there is as much proof(!) for silicon based life as there is for a creator. Although Si based life has the benefit that evidentally life can come from rather light elements of the chemical group.

That last line in your quote is pretty revealing: Are you saying that any scientist who pushes ID is “free of religious nomination”? Lol. It’s almost as if you believe scientists are these Spockesque masters of rationality. Oh contrare. They’re just like the rest of us and they all have agendas.

No, i wanted to say that they don’t mix their religious belief in the argument, not that they are free of any belief.
    And do you want to say that ID is just an agenda ;) ?

• Falk:

Quote:
    You seem perfectly willing to believe in non-carbon based life just to avoid the conclusion of the argument.

I have read somewhere that silicon based life could be possible. Well, chemically there is not too much difference between carbon and silicium.

I read somewhere that it could not be possible - silicone just doesn’t have sufficient flexibility from a chemical standpoint to form RNA or DNA (life as we know it). I guess it might be possible for a lifeform as we do not know, perhaps a different coding technique than DNA/RNA.

But this is really an unimportant point - there is plenty of carbon in the universe.

• I am LOVING this Francis Collins guy. The director of the Human Genome Project is a Christian, a physician and a researcher. Long before i heard of him, i had been pounding out the same rhythm (people can see my opinions expounded on many previous evolution/creation threads where i verbally battled both young-earth creationists and atheistic evolutionists).
    Anyway, here is a quote pulled from him that i like:

I wish more people would go back and read St. Augustine from 400 A.D. His view of the first book of the Bible sounds very compatible with what is currently called “theistic evolution,” where God used the process of evolution to create man. Augustine, without the need to be defensive, felt this evolutionary view of how human beings came about is entirely consistent with Genesis 1. The current battle between evolutionism and creationism makes me sad at heart, because it is so unnecessary. It’s hard enough getting through life when you have to deal with the real challenges and the real controversies and the real battles. This polarization of evolution and creation is a battle that we shouldn’t have had to fight, and yet it continues to rage. Serious Christians often think they’re being asked to reject compelling scientific data to prove their religious commitment; serious scientists often think they’re being asked to reject their own faith to prove their intellectual rigor. And none of this is at all necessary. A harmonious synthesis of science and faith is not only possible, it is deeply satisfying. We must work to spread that word.

I believe this with my heart AND my mind.

I also like the approach by biochemist Michael Behe (Darwin’s Black Box). Here he poked several holes in the evolutionary theory forcing scientists to become more scientific in explaining many questions that were heretofore unexplained.

As for teaching evolution in schools - the problem is that simply saying “the world was created this way, and people’s origens were thus” is IMO inappropriate.
    It is unscientific for one. We don’t “know” that it happened this way. Furthermore, it is untestable and unfalsifiable. There are still many holes in the theory, and we rely on records generated during uncertain times with many assumptions. Now i’ll agree that it appears to be the most logical (secular) explanation for how we reached where we are. At the same time, to not continue to challenge it is unscientific. If we just say “yes! Evolution happened exactly this way and never question this wisdom!” then we are kowtowing to an agenda that i don’t quite understand. As a scientist and a physician i still need to question much of what i see, read and hear. For me to read a trial on a drug and to ignore important holes, inclusion, exclusion criteria etc. and not to be critical of it would not only be scientific, but could put my patients’ lives in danger. Why then is it appropriate to be unscientific with regards to the evolutionary theory?

With regards to ID - i believe in it, but i can see why people do not wish it to be taught alongside of evolution. At the same time, given the massive number of Christians, Jews, and Muslims who believe that God created the heavens and the earth, i really do not see it as being unreasonable for a teacher to admit this. Who knows - it might actually lead to more scientific discussion . . . .

• I agree with what CC said regarding that faith and science can exist in harmony together.

This is slightly off-topic, but a Physicist has put together a site regarding how science actually supports Christianity:

http://www.reasons.org/

Interestingly, the site is actually somewhat critical of ID:

http://www.reasons.org/resources/fff/2002issue10/index.shtml#more_than_id

This is well worth reading IMO.

• @221B:

Interestingly, the site is actually somewhat critical of ID:

http://www.reasons.org/resources/fff/2002issue10/index.shtml#more_than_id

This is well worth reading IMO.

it’s an interesting article, however i can see a problem - an underlying bias.
    My concern is not that he has a problem with evolution guided by ID - that’s fine - but rather that this is not for scientific reasons but that he is worried about effects on people’s spirituality if they buy into this (rather than an atheistic view). This also is not scientific.
    He should say “i do not believe in ID because it is contradicted HERE with THIS evidence” - whether Biblical or scientific. It is (IMO) inappropriate to discount a putative mechanism for something because of future implications of this knowledge.

@F_alk:

The Creation-thing is big only in the USA. It is undisputed were i am. The big press it gets and the repeated but baseless claims that it was “disputed” is a political thing. There are people who want it to be disputed, and best to make it so is to call it so repeatedly over. This seems to be a very common strategy to “prove” unproven things.

And hence it is disputed. :) Perhaps in Germany it is widely accepted as fact, after all, Germany was the first country to discover neanderthalls.

However, many scientific communities DO dispute the validity of the theory - enough so that it has not been made into a Law/Principle/Fact by the community as a whole.

…as we don’t know how many universes or creators are out there, and thus we have no idea over what our one measurement has to be sampled over.

True. So how is it that evolution is the only theory that is propagated by the public education system? Wouldn’t it be better to let scientologists, christians, jews, muslims, buddists, poly-theists, wiccans and scientists all espouse their own theories in public forum and allow the individual to determine what they take as fact - at least until you can prove one theory to be the ONLY method.

For example, it used to be common knowledge that sick people were infested by demons. Now science has proved that they are just infested with living organisms (viruses/bacteria) so all we teach is that illness is caused by viruses and bacteria and not by evil demons.

As for silicon based life, wouldnt a self aware computer be considered silicon based life? It eats electricity, provides waste in the form of heat, and - when they are self aware - would have self determination and I think that meets the criteria set forth for life.

However, who’s to say there isn’t a Neon based life form in the multi-verse? (Assuming there’s more then just our universe - for arguement’s sake.)

Also, who’s to say that the spirit cannot gain enough power to create life themselves one day? (Kinda a take on the scientology thing.)

• There is no evidence that it can’t. It just did not happen on this one planet.
    And there is as much proof(!) for silicon based life as there is for a creator. Although Si based life has the benefit that evidentally life can come from rather light elements of the chemical group.

You know Bayes Theorem, right? Every black raven we find is evidence that non-black ravens don’t exist. Every DNA-based complex life-form is evidence that non-DNA based life-forms don’t exist. If you belive in beings made of hydrogen or silicon, just to avoid some conclusion that is unpalatable, why not just believe in souls?

No, i wanted to say that they don’t mix their religious belief in the argument, not that they are free of any belief.
    And do you want to say that ID is just an agenda ;) ?

Materialism is just as much a religious belief as belief in God. Most atheists I’ve met are much worse than theists when it comes to discussing their beliefs.

• CC: After re-reading the article, I believe you are correct that there is an underlying bias in the author. I hadn’t noticed that before.

Still, I believe that nobody should be afraid of the truth regarding this topic. The facts (at least as we know them now) do not contradict in a fundamental manner Christianity and probably never will since the Bible is not meant as a science book. They do contradict what some people beleive should be Christianity (such as earth being created in exactly 6 days - which is not quite what the Bible says. I have heard the original Hebrew word for day in Genesis should be translated to “some unspecified period of time”). Nor should the facts regarding problems with evolution (or other science theories) because that is what science does - study the facts. From either position, I see no need to argue about these points. As the saying goes, the truth shall set you free.

• I think that Evolution is a very appealing idea, simply because it provides a logical way of looking at the origin of man. But aside from talking about anatomical and genetic similarities, I would also like to say that I think Creation as a theory is completely unfounded. It tries to claim that all of a sudden, everything just was. (To all you fundamentalists out there, this is simply my belief.)

Anyway, the reason I’ve decided to point these things out is because while evolution seems more logical to me by far, I also can’t grasp the notion that we evolved from simpler creatures just by random chance. There just has to be someone dictating the evolutionary processes. (God) I mean, you’ve all heard that “The Lord works in mysterious ways.” Maybe He made us evolve to instill some doubt as to his existence. Because if there is actually 0.00% doubt as to the fact that He exists, then faith has absolutely NO purpose.

So yeah; Intelligent Design all the way. :wink:

Creation is more logical to me. I can take all the components of a computer and assemble it into a creation.

Evolution does not make much logical sense to me since I cannot take that computer and have it evolve - all on its own - into a super computer.

So yes, it is perfectly reasonable to have an omnipotent being mock up a reality for billions of spirits to live in, AO. Just as reasonable has a few amino acids in a puddle getting hit with just the right amount of electricity in the right atmosphere and becomming life which later, through trial and error, all on it’s own without any design to follow what-so-ever, evolved into mankind. And if mankind is the epitome of life, why do we have monkeys and birds and lions?

• Mankind has practiced ID for centuries.

We are much better at it now.

Just think of all the different breeds of dogs, cats, horses, cows, corn, salmon, trout, tilapia, grapes, etc…

• @Mary:

You know Bayes Theorem, right?

Yes.

Every black raven we find is evidence that non-black ravens don’t exist.

No. :)

As you said you know Bayes Theorem …. have you heard of the Prosecutor’s Fallacy? That is what ID people usually use. An importantn point is:
    We have no idea how often life has evolved in the universe. We can only guess and there creationists tend to use very small numbers (out of the gaps of course: I remember how it was doubted by creationists that other solar systems had planets … then -once we found planets (huge gas ones)- how they doubted that earthlike planets existed outside our solar system … and of course, they doubt that life would start there. How can you tell that having an earthlike planet does not lead to life in 85% of each cases ? Then, all life would evolve, and our sample suggests that it evolves into something intelligent.

Creationists all seem to follow a Bayesian definition of probability. Science usually takes a frequentist definition (when it comes down to experiments at least). We can use Bayes Theorem though: if we do, then suddenly -just because we exist- the probabilities for having natural constants, number of dimensions etc. the way they are is not flat over any possible value anymore (it is not evenly distributed). Indeed, just because we are here, the values that we see have higher probabilities.

About your “carbon chauvinism” and Bayes: So, you have a box with an uncertain number of balls in there (=number of planets that have life). You draw one. It is white (=carbon based life). What is the probability that there are no black balls (si-based life) in there ?

Materialism is just as much a religious belief as belief in God. Most atheists I’ve met are much worse than theists when it comes to discussing their beliefs.

Why would you try to bring your belief into theirs then? Are you christian missionary, trying to convert all those materialist scientists ;)?
    Just face it: Science “won” over the church, although the church had a massive head-start. Still, it took more than 7 days for the universe to form and intelligent life to come. Rome is not center of the earth is not center of the solar system is not center of the universe.

I think this argument is by humans who just hate it to be “usual” and not “special”. Get over it ;) :).

BTW, Hawking stated that the probability for a universe like this to be created out of a Big Bang is about 98%, allowing the universe wavefunction to come into existance with nothing there before it.

@Linkon:

Mankind has practiced ID for centuries.
    Just think of all the different breeds of dogs, cats, horses, cows, corn, salmon, trout, tilapia, grapes, etc…

Tststs….
    you can’t say “look, evolution doesn’t work: It can’t explain macro-evolution” and then say “look, ID works: Although i have to ignore macroevolution”.

Well, that is if you want to keep up the terms Macro- and micro- evolution. AFAIK only ID/creationists people use these terms. In evolution theory, there is no distinction AFAIR.

@F_alk:

@Linkon:

Tststs….
    you can’t say “look, evolution doesn’t work: It can’t explain macro-evolution” and then say “look, ID works: Although i have to ignore macroevolution”.

Well, that is if you want to keep up the terms Macro- and micro- evolution. AFAIK only ID/creationists people use these terms. In evolution theory, there is no distinction AFAIR.

I must agree. While there’s truth in the fact that there is genetic drift and you can breed a better flower or mouse, this does not prove or disprove evolutionary theory. It only proves you can tweak those species already in existance for good or ill.

• @F_alk:

@Mary:

You know Bayes Theorem, right?

Yes.

Every black raven we find is evidence that non-black ravens don’t exist.

No. :)

As you said you know Bayes Theorem …. have you heard of the Prosecutor’s Fallacy? That is what ID people usually use. An importantn point is:
    We have no idea how often life has evolved in the universe. We can only guess and there creationists tend to use very small numbers (out of the gaps of course: I remember how it was doubted by creationists that other solar systems had planets … then -once we found planets (huge gas ones)- how they doubted that earthlike planets existed outside our solar system … and of course, they doubt that life would start there. How can you tell that having an earthlike planet does not lead to life in 85% of each cases ? Then, all life would evolve, and our sample suggests that it evolves into something intelligent.

Creationists all seem to follow a Bayesian definition of probability. Science usually takes a frequentist definition (when it comes down to experiments at least). We can use Bayes Theorem though: if we do, then suddenly -just because we exist- the probabilities for having natural constants, number of dimensions etc. the way they are is not flat over any possible value anymore (it is not evenly distributed). Indeed, just because we are here, the values that we see have higher probabilities.

About your “carbon chauvinism” and Bayes: So, you have a box with an uncertain number of balls in there (=number of planets that have life). You draw one. It is white (=carbon based life). What is the probability that there are no black balls (si-based life) in there ?

Why would you try to bring your belief into theirs then? Are you christian missionary, trying to convert all those materialist scientists ;)?
    Just face it: Science “won” over the church, although the church had a massive head-start. Still, it took more than 7 days for the universe to form and intelligent life to come. Rome is not center of the earth is not center of the solar system is not center of the universe.

I think this argument is by humans who just hate it to be “usual” and not “special”. Get over it ;) :).

BTW, Hawking stated that the probability for a universe like this to be created out of a Big Bang is about 98%, allowing the universe wavefunction to come into existance with nothing there before it.

@Linkon:

Tststs….

I have a copy of CHoice and Chance in my bookshelf. Just plug in the numbers. I guarantee you that finding a black raven reduces the probablity of the hypothesis “there are some non-black ravens”. I think the crucial point that you’re missing is that you have zero evidence for believing in anything other than carbon-based life, yet you believe so to avoid an argument. Your faith in the existence of strange life-forms is no different than that of a theist’s faith in the existence of God.

You argue about silicon-based life, and even if I grant that it’s likely, the likelihood is taking into account conditions in THIS universe, which are very hospitable for life. Are you really claiming that life can exist in a universe where atoms can’t form, where stars can’t form, where planets can’t form? Those are the kinds of universes which arise when tweaking the constants even a little bit. To believe in complex life arising without atoms or stars is ridiculous. If that’s the best you can do, the argument is in good shape.

As far as Hawking goes, it doesn’t hurt the argument at all if 98% of possible universes would have had the same constant values. Even if the constants are “fixed” at the moment of the Big bang, the question would simply become: why are the constants fixed in such a way that the universe supports life? You seem to forget that even if the constants are fixed or highly probable, we can still generate models of universes where the constants are different (and the fact that drives the argument would still remain: change the constants just a little bit, and the universe would not support life). In fact, it would support the argument if we found out that the universe HAS to be a life-supporting one, that all possible big bangs produce life supporting universes. How strange would THAT be?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m