Europe 1940 shows up on Wizards site…with screenshot

• @questioneer:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@questioneer:

Cool pic

1. Setup is definitely not the correct one.
    2. the sculpts and even the shade of blue for France may be off- as in the P40 box for ANZAC and such.
    3. It would be nice to have a close-up of the map but at least we have something so in a month we will have more specific pics I’m sure.
    8-)

Keep in mind this may not be the correct map: on a map in the P40 rulebook, Koprea is 2 ipc’s, BC and Yukon have a british roundel and are called Western Canada, and I think some Chinese territories are wrong

1. India tip doesn’t match P40 India southern tip
    2. I don’t even see the back ends of the Chinese territories.
    3. Some of the IPC numbers I’m sure are wrong and maybe
    4. even the shade of the blue for the French may be wrong along with the sculpts.
    5. darker convoy boxes will not match the lighter ones of P40

Yes, I hope these mistakes are not in the real product but being that it is Wiz boys doing the game 1 or 2 of these might be in it.

1. it could still. You’re assuming the southernmose part of India on the Pacific map is the southermost tip of India. It may continue to go down.

2. I was wondering about that too, but I guess they got cut off.

3. Which ones?

4. No, the shade seems similar to FIC

5. I’d prefer one set of easy-to see convoys than none, even if they’re not consistent
    Hopefully this doesn’t represent the TRUE board but the prototype-back of the box pic- almost done board.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@calvinhobbesliker:

Are you talking about the AH that put Honolulu on Hawai’i island instead of Oahu, who spelled Palau “Paulau,” who, on the P40 setup for Japan, spelled artillery “artilly,” who gave Japan only 6 tacs, who gave the wrong battlestrip, who made very light convoy/kamikaze markers on the board, and who forgot to put the NB/AB on Phil and put a Major IC in NSW and a minor one in NZ?

Well yes, I was talking about that company. Apparently I should reconsider my statement. Thanks for the correction. I did not realize there were so many errors. Shame on them for allowing it, shame on me for noot seeing it. I will HOPE that they get it right this time though. How much of this would you say is hasty development to get the game out, or just a lack of thoroughness in their team?

I get frustrated when there is a lack of continuity or sameness in the games. For example; the convoy markers in Pacific are rather light. They could have done better by making them more visible. But if they change it now, it won’t fit with Europe… there are other examples. It does annoy me.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@questioneer:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@questioneer:

Cool pic

2. the sculpts and even the shade of blue for France may be off- as in the P40 box for ANZAC and such.
    3. It would be nice to have a close-up of the map but at least we have something so in a month we will have more specific pics I’m sure.
    8-)

Keep in mind this may not be the correct map: on a map in the P40 rulebook, Koprea is 2 ipc’s, BC and Yukon have a british roundel and are called Western Canada, and I think some Chinese territories are wrong

1. it could still. You’re assuming the southernmose part of India on the Pacific map is the southermost tip of India. It may continue to go down.

3. Which ones?

5. I’d prefer one set of easy-to see convoys than none, even if they’re not consistent
    Hopefully this doesn’t represent the TRUE board but the prototype-back of the box pic- almost done board.
    4. even the shade of the blue for the French may be wrong along with the sculpts.

Yes, I hope these mistakes are not in the real product but being that it is Wiz boys doing the game 1 or 2 of these might be in it.

After a second look, it seems that the India alignment will be OK,  the US however looks a little off (hopefully not) but like people have said before, it won’t be a big deal since most will create the map with India at the center anyway.

I’m sure the ends of the Chinese territories are there (they are really just slivers)- it must be the resolution of the pic here.

I would like the convoy boxes darker also but it just adds to the sloppy job WOTC does.

I was talking about the French UNITS not the territories when I was speaking about the shade of blue- which may or may not be the correct shade of blue for the units.

We need to ask Larry on his site for a full resolution map-  he gave us a pic of the map 4 months before P40 and it is already only 2 months before E40!!! :?

• @LHoffman:

@calvinhobbesliker:

Are you talking about the AH that put Honolulu on Hawai’i island instead of Oahu, who spelled Palau “Paulau,” who, on the P40 setup for Japan, spelled artillery “artilly,” who gave Japan only 6 tacs, who gave the wrong battlestrip, who made very light convoy/kamikaze markers on the board, and who forgot to put the NB/AB on Phil and put a Major IC in NSW and a minor one in NZ?

Well yes, I was talking about that company. Apparently I should reconsider my statement. Thanks for the correction. I did not realize there were so many errors. Shame on them for allowing it, shame on me for noot seeing it. I will HOPE that they get it right this time though. How much of this would you say is hasty development to get the game out, or just a lack of thoroughness in their team?

I get frustrated when there is a lack of continuity or sameness in the games. For example; the convoy markers in Pacific are rather light. They could have done better by making them more visible. But if they change it now, it won’t fit with Europe… there are other examples. It does annoy me.

It is both.  And Amen to the rest of your statement.

• @questioneer:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@questioneer:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@questioneer:

Cool pic

8-)

3. Which ones?

After a second look, it seems that the India alignment will be OK,  the US however looks a little off (hopefully not) but like people have said before, it won’t be a big deal since most will create the map with India at the center anyway.

I’m sure the ends of the Chinese territories are there (they are really just slivers)- it must be the resolution of the pic here.

I would like the convoy boxes darker also but it just adds to the sloppy job WOTC does.

I was talking about the French UNITS not the territories when I was speaking about the shade of blue- which may or may not be the correct shade of blue for the units.

We need to ask Larry on his site for a full resolution map-  he gave us a pic of the map 4 months before P40 and it is already only 2 months before E40!!! :?

Oh, you were talking about th units. I like them, and the unit color doesn’t have to match the territory perfectly, otherwise we wouldn’t be able to see it

Personally, I think the shade of blue we see for French units is rather bright, or deep in their shade. A trivial matter I suppose, but all the other nations have a more washed out or ‘earthier’ shade of their color. The US is not bright green, the Russians are not “Communist Red”, the Japanese are a more mellow orange than, say, an actual orange is, the British are pretty low key too. The Italians just look like dirt, which looks fine to me. The French, on the other hand, look like cotton candy out there.

Like I said, fairly trivial though. More trivial than map errors certainly.

• If we don’t like the units, then we’ll buy them from FMG,

If we don’t like the dice, then we’ll buy them form FMG also,

Something tells me they could make a better map, charts, heck the whole game…hmmm… :? :wink:

@questioneer:

If we don’t like the units, then we’ll buy them from FMG,

If we don’t like the dice, then we’ll buy them form FMG also,

Something tells me they could make a better map, charts, heck the whole game…hmmm… :? :wink:

I do not have experience with FMG… good stuff there? Nice pieces? I have considered looking for some more diverse aircraft carriers for Japan, so I can paint them, but I wasn’t sure who to go to in order to have a size/style comparable to to Axis and Allies… would FMG be the recommendation then?

@cminke:

take a look at the fmg pieces project in axis and allies varient.

I looked. (on the FMG website)

Is Italy the only available one for purchase at this time then? It says out of stock, unfortunately. And is the $60.00 for just one nation (Italy) or is it for the entire set of Italy, Germany, Japan, USSR, USA and Britain?

• @LHoffman:

@cminke:

take a look at the fmg pieces project in axis and allies varient.

I looked. (on the FMG website)

Is Italy the only available one for purchase at this time then? It says out of stock, unfortunately. And is the $60.00 for just one nation (Italy) or is it for the entire set of Italy, Germany, Japan, USSR, USA and Britain?

Italy is the first nation they are working on since so many people want them for AAAE anyway.  All the sculpts and such are not yet complete.  That’s why cminke referred you to the thread discussion the process of production they are going through as input from this forum community is being taken into account in the process.

@SAS:

Italy is the first nation they are working on since so many people want them for AAAE anyway.  All the sculpts and such are not yet complete.  That’s why cminke referred you to the thread discussion the process of production they are going through as input from this forum community is being taken into account in the process.

Oh, thanks. Cool, I will check that out then and maybe chirp in. I actually went to the thread first, but it is rather long at this stage. I will have some catching up to do.

• So I’m counting 25 or 26 neutral territories, counting Switzerland (which most likely will be impassable like the Himalayas are in the Pacific map and as Sahara appears to be) Ireland (which will probably be worthless to invade regardless except in some crazy Sea Lion scheme), and the possible second Turkish territory adjacent to Caucasus (if it is a second territory, it doesn’t spawn infantry as there is no black symbol that I can see, but the non-spawning Mongolian territories don’t have that symbol), and not counting the Russian marshlands or the Sahara; 14 of those have a black symbol meaning they spawn infantry while a bunch of those in South America appear not to.  Finland appears to be neutral, though it may be German… :?  The apparent empty second Turkish territory would mean that Russia could potentially blitz right up to the main Turkish territory and close of the Dardanelles rather easily.

Also, I don’t see any distinctive features marking them as pro-Axis or pro-Allies or true neutrals. :|  I’m guessing there’ll be a list in the rulebook?  I think Brazil is greenish simply because of the coloring for the Amazon rainforest(?).  It appears to me that the neutral territories simply have a whitish/lighter shade to the “natural” color of the landscape (as all the other territories have a shading reflecting the controlling power, but still vary according to landscape).

• @SAS:

So I’m counting 25 or 26 neutral territories, counting Switzerland (which most likely will be impassable like the Himalayas are in the Pacific map and as Sahara appears to be) Ireland (which will probably be worthless to invade regardless except in some crazy Sea Lion scheme), and the possible second Turkish territory adjacent to Caucasus (if it is a second territory, it doesn’t spawn infantry as there is no black symbol that I can see, but the non-spawning Mongolian territories don’t have that symbol), and not counting the Russian marshlands or the Sahara; 14 of those have a black symbol meaning they spawn infantry while a bunch of those in South America appear not to.  Finland appears to be neutral, though it may be German… :?  The apparent empty second Turkish territory would mean that Russia could potentially blitz right up to the main Turkish territory and close of the Dardanelles rather easily.

Did you count Brazil as a neutral?

Also, I don’t see any distinctive features marking them as pro-Axis or pro-Allies or true neutrals. :|  I’m guessing there’ll be a list in the rulebook?  I think Brazil is greenish simply because of the coloring for the Amazon rainforest(?).  It appears to me that the neutral territories simply have a whitish/lighter shade to the “natural” color of the landscape (as all the other territories have a shading reflecting the controlling power, but still vary according to landscape).

• @SAS:

So I’m counting 25 or 26 neutral territories, counting Switzerland (which most likely will be impassable like the Himalayas are in the Pacific map and as Sahara appears to be) Ireland (which will probably be worthless to invade regardless except in some crazy Sea Lion scheme), and the possible second Turkish territory adjacent to Caucasus (if it is a second territory, it doesn’t spawn infantry as there is no black symbol that I can see, but the non-spawning Mongolian territories don’t have that symbol), and not counting the Russian marshlands or the Sahara; 14 of those have a black symbol meaning they spawn infantry while a bunch of those in South America appear not to.  Finland appears to be neutral, though it may be German… :?  The apparent empty second Turkish territory would mean that Russia could potentially blitz right up to the main Turkish territory and close of the Dardanelles rather easily.

I think 15 spawn inf, assuming Spain does(an Italian tank is covering Spain)

So, are we able to tell yet if the Middle Eastern countries have IPC value. Would they be considered pro-British (Allies). I would think that they would have to be of some worth… having BLACK GOLD written all over them.

It appears from the picture that Russia has taken them under their control, by virtue of the Soviet roundels on the territories. I would assume they have value to both sides. Might they be like the Dutch territories in Pacific, where they are pro-Allies, but open for the taking by either side for IPCs?

• @LHoffman:

So, are we able to tell yet if the Middle Eastern countries have IPC value. Would they be considered pro-British (Allies). I would think that they would have to be of some worth… having BLACK GOLD written all over them.

Larry threw out a number about the total value of the Middle East, but I can’t remember it…

• @LHoffman:

It appears from the picture that Russia has taken them under their control, by virtue of the Soviet roundels on the territories. I would assume they have value to both sides. Might they be like the Dutch territories in Pacific, where they are pro-Allies, but open for the taking by either side for IPCs?

Iran is pro-allies; iraq is pro-axis. turkey, saudi, and afghanistan are probably true neutrals

I count over 20 Soviet territories. This is more than the entire Soviet Union in AA50-41. Add that to the 9 on the Pacific board and this game will have a massive Eastern front

• @McMan:

@LHoffman:

Larry threw out a number about the total value of the Middle East, but I can’t remember it…

@calvinhobbesliker:

I count over 20 Soviet territories. This is more than the entire Soviet Union in AA50-41. Add that to the 9 on the Pacific board and this game will have a massive Eastern front

SWEET! I love to hear that!

• I think you can reach Brazil from New Zealand(if you control the NB) and Argentina from Queensland(again, if you control the NB).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m