John Brown's Painted G1940 Set - by Spitfire38

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Spitfire38:

@jwo1984:

hey spitefire how you enjoying painting the Japanese naval pieces? any progress pics you can share???

I’ve got better than progress pics.  :-) Finished products! I’ve edited the Japanese post on page 1 to reflect the navy. Constructive criticism and opinions always welcome.

Man, all I got to say is wow, I’m very pleased with the navy. It turned out super awesome. I can’t wait to get these. :-D

• wow man I am speechless! the navy turned out stunning! really like your choice in colors, the yamato and nagato looked so good in each scheme! great job on the HBG destroyers too and the I400 super subs! I also like the variety of OOB and HBG piece selections John Brown, had the A&A 1941 Kongo in there too ! cant wait too see the other nations man! Thanks for posting and inspiring.

One of my main goals is to incorporate as many HBG as possible, some things, unfortunately, I left out, but hope to come back too, after this set. :-)

• '16 Customizer

@jwo1984:

wow man I am speechless! the navy turned out stunning! really like your choice in colors, the yamato and nagato looked so good in each scheme! great job on the HBG destroyers too and the I400 super subs! I also like the variety of OOB and HBG piece selections John Brown, had the A&A 1941 Kongo in there too ! cant wait too see the other nations man! Thanks for posting and inspiring.

Inspiration - as Tall Paul says, that’s the reason we customize! I’m glad that other people can enjoy and learn from them.

I’m really happy with how they turned out as well. I almost lost hope somewhere in the middle of painting the disruptor, just because it was taking three times as long as the others. But, as I have experienced time and time again, it all comes together in the final stages, and then BOOM, they look great and I’m happy with them.

I based the disruptor camo off of Allworkandnoclay’s dirsuptor, but I added a fourth tone of tan/brown to the pieces, as I felt they needed more contrast. I was a bit stumped on which color to do the drybrush highlights in, as the piece is four different colors, but I went with a light gray, and it ended up turning the dark gray undercoat into a nice steely blue color, and brought the color palette together. My personal faves are the transports.

The Wood and Iron scheme was roughly based off of another user, Swedo’s, scheme. They are somewhere else on this subforum.

@John:

One of my main goals is to incorporate as many HBG as possible, some things, unfortunately, I left out, but hope to come back too, after this set. :-)

I just took a trip over to the HBG site to look at some of the pieces they have coming, and I’m really excited to get my brushes on them :) Send em on over haha!

@Spitfire38:

@jwo1984:

wow man I am speechless! the navy turned out stunning! really like your choice in colors, the yamato and nagato looked so good in each scheme! great job on the HBG destroyers too and the I400 super subs! I also like the variety of OOB and HBG piece selections John Brown, had the A&A 1941 Kongo in there too ! cant wait too see the other nations man! Thanks for posting and inspiring.

Inspiration - as Tall Paul says, that’s the reason we customize! I’m glad that other people can enjoy and learn from them.

I’m really happy with how they turned out as well. I almost lost hope somewhere in the middle of painting the disruptor, just because it was taking three times as long as the others. But, as I have experienced time and time again, it all comes together in the final stages, and then BOOM, they look great and I’m happy with them.

I based the disruptor camo off of Allworkandnoclay’s dirsuptor, but I added a fourth tone of tan/brown to the pieces, as I felt they needed more contrast. I was a bit stumped on which color to do the drybrush highlights in, as the piece is four different colors, but I went with a light gray, and it ended up turning the dark gray undercoat into a nice steely blue color, and brought the color palette together. My personal faves are the transports.

The Wood and Iron scheme was roughly based off of another user, Swedo’s, scheme. They are somewhere else on this subforum.

@John:

I just took a trip over to the HBG site to look at some of the pieces they have coming, and I’m really excited to get my brushes on them :) Send em on over haha!

Yes, they have a lot of cool stuff on the horizon. :-)

Guys, Spitfire38 has informed me that the infantry will be done as soon as he orders bigger decals for the bases. The ones he had were to small, but other than that, they are ready to be shown, soon.

They really look good!

Stay tuned. :-)

John

This is really cool stuff here… nice work by both you guys, esp Spitfire. Can’t believe I missed this thread. Love the ships.

@LHoffman:

This is really cool stuff here… nice work by both you guys, esp Spitfire. Can’t believe I missed this thread. Love the ships.

Thanks Hoffman! Spitfire38 has done an excellent job with the visions of what I wanted in my set. We are both patient with each other, and he always wants my opinion of what I want and like.

Because he is in school, I have to be patient, because he will be busy at certain parts of the year, and we have worked out my payments to where he is being very flexible with me as well.

We work well as a team.

He currently is doing the Ground Forces, AAA Guns and Infantry.

Thanks for your comments! :-D

John

• '16 Customizer

Thanks LHoffman! I appreciate the input on decals and advice.

Hopefully I can get around to finishing off those infantry and getting the pictures up soon.

• '16 Customizer

Photos of the Japanese infantry have been added to the Japanese post on the first page.

• Looks like Christmas came early for John brown! Wow spitefire those infantry are some of the best I’ve seen on here! I love the Browns you used for their uniforms and the accented details and dark washes. The bases of the men too are superb! There must be 40 some units you painted?! I’m inspired great work!

Seconded! Very impressive.

• '16 Customizer

@jwo1984:

Looks like Christmas came early for John brown! Wow spitefire those infantry are some of the best I’ve seen on here! I love the Browns you used for their uniforms and the accented details and dark washes. The bases of the men too are superb! There must be 40 some units you painted?! I’m inspired great work!

@LHoffman:

Thanks guys! I’m really glad that you enjoy them. jwo1984, you are correct in saying that there are 40 standard infantrymen and 4 paratroopers. John will need legions of Japanese soldiers if he is to conquer the Pacific! I’d recommend that he gets some Allied pieces painted soon, or else there will be nobody to stand in their way ;)

@Spitfire38:

@jwo1984:

Looks like Christmas came early for John brown! Wow spitefire those infantry are some of the best I’ve seen on here! I love the Browns you used for their uniforms and the accented details and dark washes. The bases of the men too are superb! There must be 40 some units you painted?! I’m inspired great work!

@LHoffman:

Thanks guys! I’m really glad that you enjoy them. jwo1984, you are correct in saying that there are 40 standard infantrymen and 4 paratroopers. John will need legions of Japanese soldiers if he is to conquer the Pacific! I’d recommend that he gets some Allied pieces painted soon, or else there will be nobody to stand in their way ;)

Wow Spitfire, those are fantastic, and yes, the allies are hopefully will be shipped by Monday, the Aussies and Chinese will be answering the call, LOL. :-D

• '14 Customizer

Great Job Spitfire.  Those infantry are fantastic.  I love the detail and that you used white color for the bases. Looks very classy :)

News flash: Guys, I’m shipping the Anzac and Chinese forces tomorrow. The allies are going to war, as Japan has just invaded China.

Stay alert for more information as this conflict escalates. :-)

• Great job….

@crusaderiv:

Great job….

Yes, Spitfire38, really out did himself. :-D

• Any updates so far? I have just started painting my first set of a&a pieces and was using this thread as a resource for schemes. Obviously my painting skill is not close to your level Spitfire, however I do really enjoy these paint schemes.

@EdDawg:

Any updates so far? I have just started painting my first set of a&a pieces and was using this thread as a resource for schemes. Obviously my painting skill is not close to your level Spitfire, however I do really enjoy these paint schemes.

EdDawg, Spitfire has finished my Japanese Ground Forces, as well as AAA Guns, but because it so cold where he is at, he is waiting till it he has a warmer day to spray a protective coat on them.

He will then post pictures, when he can.

I also sent him the Anzac and Chinese pieces, so it won’t be too much longer, before he will start those.

I’m as anxious as you are to get my Japanese pieces and see what he does with the next set. :-D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m