• '12

Calling NFL and MLB champions “World Champions” is a lot conceited and not accurate. Even if they are the best team in the world (because no other country plays the sport), no other country has a team in competition.

True of the NFL but last time I checked the Toronto Blue Jays of MLB play in a different country that the US of A and in fact were World Champions twice.  Also much like American NHL champions, they were stocked with foreign players.  There is probably a higher % of Americans playing hockey than Canadians playing baseball or basketball, tho in basketballs case that is changing.

In any case……Silly Americans, Hockey is for Canadians…  for now!

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@MrMalachiCrunch:

True of the NFL but last time I checked the Toronto Blue Jays of MLB play in a different country that the US of A and in fact were World Champions twice.  Also much like American NHL champions, they were stocked with foreign players.

Yes, and I was going to issue a disclaimer on that fact (and the Raptors), however, it does not matter in my regional argument. There is little more that is “world”-like about the MLB because they have one team in city 60 miles from the US border. It is still North America and the only example of an MLB team being anywhere but the United States.

Being stocked with foreign players (and arguably the best foreign players) does give some credibility to the MLB and NHL calling their champions “World Champions”, even though the NHL does not. I don’t follow the NBA, but it seems like they draw all the best foreign players too. Football, again, is another story. It is essentially only an American sport. If you look on an NFL roster, I would bet 99.999999% are American born.

• @LHoffman:

Yes, which I mentioned. And it’s why I said you might be able to have a world-baseball tournament. The MLB has at least a little more credibility in calling it the World Series/“World Champions” in that the MLB is the de facto league of the world and all the best players from South/Central America and Japan come to play in it. (You could say the same of the NHL, but there are plenty of other good players and leagues in the world which, I believe, need to be included to vie for some sort of world title.)

Malachi already addressed this, but I also already mentioned the World Baseball Classic.  Take a peak at the history of that, which is a testament to the international play of baseball (hint: US does not dominate it).

Basketball is more popular in Europe and Asia than we normally see, though nothing close to what it is here or the overall talent level of the players. Americans have generally dominated in olympic basketball, but it has been somewhat closer in recent years. (Since pros have been allowed to play in 1992, the USA has won the tournament 5/6 times and won bronze the time they didn’t win gold. Competing at the Olympics would qualify as a “World Championship”. I just don’t understand how you can apply that title within a regional league.

Argentina was the winner in that year USA did not take gold.  Manu Ginobili was on that team and plays on my favorite NBA team, the San Antonio Spurs.  One third of that team’s roster is international players (i.e. not from the US).  Looking over recent drafts are there is a considerable international presence.  Even the NBA’s “farm system” (NCAA) is involved.

The US leagues are considered the “Show”, however.  Watch Bull Durham to understand what I mean.

@Jermofoot:

Malachi already addressed this, but I also already mentioned the World Baseball Classic.  Take a peak at the history of that, which is a testament to the international play of baseball.

Yes, it is much like the World Cup of Hockey [was].

The purpose of our discussion in a couple paragraphs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Series#International_participation

"Despite its name, the World Series remains solely the championship of the major-league baseball teams in the United States and Canada, although MLB, its players, and North American media sometimes informally refer to World Series winners as “world champions of baseball.”

At this point it is really an issue of semantics, which is pointless to argue about. Obviously the above quote makes my point that, literally, the World Series/“World Champions of Baseball” is not accurate. But I realize that The World Series was around before the Baseball World Cup or the World Baseball classic, and at the time MLB was the best (or only) league in the world. Again… pointless to continue here, but the real issue is with American football and the “World Champs” title.

@Jermofoot:

(hint: US does not dominate it).

Never said they would or did… just saying that being strictly North American based, MLB does not necessarily have a world footprint, depending on your definition.

• Sponsor

Your a true fan Hoff, but I didn’t like that your Red Wings beat my Habs in overtime, oh well… at least we beat the Pens in a shoot out tonight.

@Young:

Your a true fan Hoff, but I didn’t like that your Red Wings beat my Habs in overtime, oh well… at least we beat the Pens in a shoot out tonight.

Hey, anyone who beats the Pens is a friend of mine.  :-D

• @LHoffman:

@Young:

Hey, anyone who beats the Pens is a friend of mine.  :-D

The only good Red Wing is a dead Red Wing.

@Mallery29:

Screw you Mallery!  :-P

• Sponsor

@LHoffman:

@Mallery29:

Screw you Mallery!  :-P

YA… F**K YOU CHEVEZ, YOU DO IT WITH YOUR HORSE!

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

The dread wings.

@Gargantua:

The dread wings.

Vancouver Ca-sucks.

Which they pretty much do right now.

• Sponsor

I’m hoping that my Habs acquire Ryan Callahan from the NY Rangers before Wednesday’s trade deadline.

@Young:

I’m hoping that my Habs acquire Ryan Callahan from the NY Rangers before Wednesday’s trade deadline.

Are they serious about it?  What do you believe they would give up? I am not sure what New York is looking for in return, generally speaking.

Look no further than the Red Wings for a team that really could use a good addition for the playoff run. Their young guys are good and getting better, but  existing contracts with some guys/acquisitions are preventing their full utilization. Detroit needs to dump Weiss, Bertuzzi, Cleary and Samuelsson in the offseason and stick with Jurco, Nyquist, Tatar, Glendening and Sheahan.

In the meantime, a Ryan Kesler or Ryan Callahan would benefit them greatly. Not sure they are willing to pay the price though.

• Sponsor

@LHoffman:

@Young:

Are they serious about it?  What do you believe they would give up? I am not sure what New York is looking for in return, generally speaking.

Look no further than the Red Wings for a team that really could use a good addition for the playoff run. Their young guys are good and getting better, but  existing contracts with some guys/acquisitions are preventing their full utilization. Detroit needs to dump Weiss, Bertuzzi, Cleary and Samuelsson in the offseason and stick with Jurco, Nyquist, Tatar, Glendening and Sheahan.

In the meantime, a Ryan Kesler or Ryan Callahan would benefit them greatly. Not sure they are willing to pay the price though.

Because Ryan Callahan is a UFA at the end of the year, and the fact that he’s looking for a big payday (6 years at 6 million), he is available as a rental player. Everyone knows that the Ranger’s hands are tied, so they won’t get maximum payout, especially with the uncertainty of his new team negotiating a contract with a guy who may of had zero intentions of signing with you when traded. There are a few good reason why Callahan could become a Montreal Canadien… 1. Callahan and Prust were very good friends in NY, and Callahan didn’t take the departure of his good buddy very well and thought that NY made a mistake letting him go. 2. Montreal and New York have a recent history of trading with each other (Macdonagh for Gomez / Thomas for Kristo…). 3. Marc Bergevin (MON GM) loves acquiring players with character, and Ryan Callahan has the most Character of all the available trade bait. I think the price will be a high draft pick, an AHL prospect, and a decent roster player. If I were the Habs, I would trade Lars Eller, a 2nd round pick, and and a mid level prospect, I would pay more if Callahan had a year left on an existing contract. However, a guy like Callahan will likely go for a lot more for the following reason… everyone is looking for defenseman, so teams will have no choice but to become more defensive by getting a guy like Callahan to strengthen their bottom 6 forwards.

I think Detroit will pick up a very useful piece, but I don’t think they will make a big splash… they seem to feel out of sorts in their new conference and might wish to reevaluate the type of team needed to win in the east. Also, their playoff picture is still to uncertain to try and hit a home run by giving up assets. However, they always seem to make a move at these times, but I think the big name will be more likely to move out this deadline rather than move in.

@Young:

Because Ryan Callahan is a UFA at the end of the year, and the fact that he’s looking for a big payday (6 years at 6 million), he is available as a rental player. Everyone knows that the Ranger’s hands are tied, so they won’t get maximum payout, especially with the uncertainty of his new team negotiating a contract with a guy who may of had zero intentions of signing with you when traded. There are a few good reason why Callahan could become a Montreal Canadien… 1. Callahan and Prust were very good friends in NY, and Callahan didn’t take the departure of his good buddy very well and thought that NY made a mistake letting him go. 2. Montreal and New York have a recent history of trading with each other (Macdonagh for Gomez / Thomas for Kristo…). 3. Marc Bergevin (MON GM) loves acquiring players with character, and Ryan Callahan has the most Character of all the available trade bait. I think the price will be a high draft pick, an AHL prospect, and a decent roster player. If I were the Habs, I would trade Lars Eller, a 2nd round pick, and and a mid level prospect, I would pay more if Callahan had a year left on an existing contract. However, a guy like Callahan will likely go for a lot more for the following reason… everyone is looking for defenseman, so teams will have no choice but to become more defensive by getting a guy like Callahan to strengthen their bottom 6 forwards.

I think Detroit will pick up a very useful piece, but I don’t think they will make a big splash… they seem to feel out of sorts in their new conference and might wish to reevaluate the type of team needed to win in the east. Also, their playoff picture is still to uncertain to try and hit a home run by giving up assets. However, they always seem to make a move at these times, but I think the big name will be more likely to move out this deadline rather than move in.

Good analysis. I think Montreal is only a few pieces away from having a very good core team, mainly being a couple elite forwards. While adding a role player like Callahan could only help a team’s actual play, his contract might saddle the team more than is prudent. I am not well versed on Montreal’s salary issues though.

I have heard that Detroit does not wish to give up any of the prospects that I mentioned above… which I hope they are serious about. It would be a shame to see so much promising and strongly developed talent be whisked away only to bring in some guy that is to be soon eclipsing his prime. Not worth it. A team without Zetterberg really, really hurts, but if they can hang in there and get him back come playoff time I think they will have made a good run of it this year. I do not expect much beyond that because their hands are somewhat tied for the present.

• Sponsor

It would be a shame to see so much promising and strongly developed talent be whisked away only to bring in some guy that is to be soon eclipsing his prime. Not worth it.

This is how the Toronto Maple Leafs have been operating for decades, If their not trading their picks, their trading their prospects they got with their picks. They always value another team’s talent over their own.

@Young:

It would be a shame to see so much promising and strongly developed talent be whisked away only to bring in some guy that is to be soon eclipsing his prime. Not worth it.

This is how the Toronto Maple Leafs have been operating for decades, If their not trading their picks, their trading their prospects they got with their picks. They always value another team’s talent over their own.

Unfortunately, that seems to be the case for a decent number of the league’s teams when it comes to goaltending. Don’t spend the time to raise them yourself, just buy a guy when one doesn’t work…  That is generally not a good idea. Granted that goaltender is perhaps the hardest and riskiest position to draft for, but development is key. Look at Philadelphia, NYI, Edmonton, Florida Panthers, Winnipeg/Atlanta… Most of those have had relatively high, if not the highest, draft picks and have little to show for it.

• Sponsor

@LHoffman:

@Young:

Unfortunately, that seems to be the case for a decent number of the league’s teams when it comes to goaltending. Don’t spend the time to raise them yourself, just buy a guy when one doesn’t work…  That is generally not a good idea. Granted that goaltender is perhaps the hardest and riskiest position to draft for, but development is key. Look at Philadelphia, NYI, Edmonton, Florida Panthers, Winnipeg/Atlanta… Most of those have had relatively high, if not the highest, draft picks and have little to show for it.

On the Toronto side of things to use your point about developing goaltending, Ben Scrivens has become a #1 starter before James Riemer (that’s insane). Luongo and Thomas on the same team in Florida… It’s now Tim Thomas’s job to pump Luongo’s tires (LOL).

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Long Gone Go just got traded back to Poorida.

@Gargantua:

Long Gone Go just got traded back to Poorida.

:lol: I didn’t know that Vancouver had another No. 1 since they traded Schneider away? Is Eddie Lack really that good?

That was a weird and tragically unsuccessful saga in the history of the Vancouver Canucks.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m