• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Gargantua:

The dread wings.

Vancouver Ca-sucks.

Which they pretty much do right now.

• Sponsor

I’m hoping that my Habs acquire Ryan Callahan from the NY Rangers before Wednesday’s trade deadline.

@Young:

I’m hoping that my Habs acquire Ryan Callahan from the NY Rangers before Wednesday’s trade deadline.

Are they serious about it?  What do you believe they would give up? I am not sure what New York is looking for in return, generally speaking.

Look no further than the Red Wings for a team that really could use a good addition for the playoff run. Their young guys are good and getting better, but  existing contracts with some guys/acquisitions are preventing their full utilization. Detroit needs to dump Weiss, Bertuzzi, Cleary and Samuelsson in the offseason and stick with Jurco, Nyquist, Tatar, Glendening and Sheahan.

In the meantime, a Ryan Kesler or Ryan Callahan would benefit them greatly. Not sure they are willing to pay the price though.

• Sponsor

@LHoffman:

@Young:

Are they serious about it?  What do you believe they would give up? I am not sure what New York is looking for in return, generally speaking.

Look no further than the Red Wings for a team that really could use a good addition for the playoff run. Their young guys are good and getting better, but  existing contracts with some guys/acquisitions are preventing their full utilization. Detroit needs to dump Weiss, Bertuzzi, Cleary and Samuelsson in the offseason and stick with Jurco, Nyquist, Tatar, Glendening and Sheahan.

In the meantime, a Ryan Kesler or Ryan Callahan would benefit them greatly. Not sure they are willing to pay the price though.

Because Ryan Callahan is a UFA at the end of the year, and the fact that he’s looking for a big payday (6 years at 6 million), he is available as a rental player. Everyone knows that the Ranger’s hands are tied, so they won’t get maximum payout, especially with the uncertainty of his new team negotiating a contract with a guy who may of had zero intentions of signing with you when traded. There are a few good reason why Callahan could become a Montreal Canadien… 1. Callahan and Prust were very good friends in NY, and Callahan didn’t take the departure of his good buddy very well and thought that NY made a mistake letting him go. 2. Montreal and New York have a recent history of trading with each other (Macdonagh for Gomez / Thomas for Kristo…). 3. Marc Bergevin (MON GM) loves acquiring players with character, and Ryan Callahan has the most Character of all the available trade bait. I think the price will be a high draft pick, an AHL prospect, and a decent roster player. If I were the Habs, I would trade Lars Eller, a 2nd round pick, and and a mid level prospect, I would pay more if Callahan had a year left on an existing contract. However, a guy like Callahan will likely go for a lot more for the following reason… everyone is looking for defenseman, so teams will have no choice but to become more defensive by getting a guy like Callahan to strengthen their bottom 6 forwards.

I think Detroit will pick up a very useful piece, but I don’t think they will make a big splash… they seem to feel out of sorts in their new conference and might wish to reevaluate the type of team needed to win in the east. Also, their playoff picture is still to uncertain to try and hit a home run by giving up assets. However, they always seem to make a move at these times, but I think the big name will be more likely to move out this deadline rather than move in.

@Young:

Because Ryan Callahan is a UFA at the end of the year, and the fact that he’s looking for a big payday (6 years at 6 million), he is available as a rental player. Everyone knows that the Ranger’s hands are tied, so they won’t get maximum payout, especially with the uncertainty of his new team negotiating a contract with a guy who may of had zero intentions of signing with you when traded. There are a few good reason why Callahan could become a Montreal Canadien… 1. Callahan and Prust were very good friends in NY, and Callahan didn’t take the departure of his good buddy very well and thought that NY made a mistake letting him go. 2. Montreal and New York have a recent history of trading with each other (Macdonagh for Gomez / Thomas for Kristo…). 3. Marc Bergevin (MON GM) loves acquiring players with character, and Ryan Callahan has the most Character of all the available trade bait. I think the price will be a high draft pick, an AHL prospect, and a decent roster player. If I were the Habs, I would trade Lars Eller, a 2nd round pick, and and a mid level prospect, I would pay more if Callahan had a year left on an existing contract. However, a guy like Callahan will likely go for a lot more for the following reason… everyone is looking for defenseman, so teams will have no choice but to become more defensive by getting a guy like Callahan to strengthen their bottom 6 forwards.

I think Detroit will pick up a very useful piece, but I don’t think they will make a big splash… they seem to feel out of sorts in their new conference and might wish to reevaluate the type of team needed to win in the east. Also, their playoff picture is still to uncertain to try and hit a home run by giving up assets. However, they always seem to make a move at these times, but I think the big name will be more likely to move out this deadline rather than move in.

Good analysis. I think Montreal is only a few pieces away from having a very good core team, mainly being a couple elite forwards. While adding a role player like Callahan could only help a team’s actual play, his contract might saddle the team more than is prudent. I am not well versed on Montreal’s salary issues though.

I have heard that Detroit does not wish to give up any of the prospects that I mentioned above… which I hope they are serious about. It would be a shame to see so much promising and strongly developed talent be whisked away only to bring in some guy that is to be soon eclipsing his prime. Not worth it. A team without Zetterberg really, really hurts, but if they can hang in there and get him back come playoff time I think they will have made a good run of it this year. I do not expect much beyond that because their hands are somewhat tied for the present.

• Sponsor

It would be a shame to see so much promising and strongly developed talent be whisked away only to bring in some guy that is to be soon eclipsing his prime. Not worth it.

This is how the Toronto Maple Leafs have been operating for decades, If their not trading their picks, their trading their prospects they got with their picks. They always value another team’s talent over their own.

@Young:

It would be a shame to see so much promising and strongly developed talent be whisked away only to bring in some guy that is to be soon eclipsing his prime. Not worth it.

This is how the Toronto Maple Leafs have been operating for decades, If their not trading their picks, their trading their prospects they got with their picks. They always value another team’s talent over their own.

Unfortunately, that seems to be the case for a decent number of the league’s teams when it comes to goaltending. Don’t spend the time to raise them yourself, just buy a guy when one doesn’t work…  That is generally not a good idea. Granted that goaltender is perhaps the hardest and riskiest position to draft for, but development is key. Look at Philadelphia, NYI, Edmonton, Florida Panthers, Winnipeg/Atlanta… Most of those have had relatively high, if not the highest, draft picks and have little to show for it.

• Sponsor

@LHoffman:

@Young:

Unfortunately, that seems to be the case for a decent number of the league’s teams when it comes to goaltending. Don’t spend the time to raise them yourself, just buy a guy when one doesn’t work…  That is generally not a good idea. Granted that goaltender is perhaps the hardest and riskiest position to draft for, but development is key. Look at Philadelphia, NYI, Edmonton, Florida Panthers, Winnipeg/Atlanta… Most of those have had relatively high, if not the highest, draft picks and have little to show for it.

On the Toronto side of things to use your point about developing goaltending, Ben Scrivens has become a #1 starter before James Riemer (that’s insane). Luongo and Thomas on the same team in Florida… It’s now Tim Thomas’s job to pump Luongo’s tires (LOL).

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Long Gone Go just got traded back to Poorida.

@Gargantua:

:lol: I didn’t know that Vancouver had another No. 1 since they traded Schneider away? Is Eddie Lack really that good?

That was a weird and tragically unsuccessful saga in the history of the Vancouver Canucks.

• Sponsor

@LHoffman:

@Gargantua:

:lol: I didn’t know that Vancouver had another No. 1 since they traded Schneider away? Is Eddie Lack really that good?

That was a weird and tragically unsuccessful saga in the history of the Vancouver Canucks.

… combine that Luongo debacle with the hiring of John “the gong show” torts for 5 years, and you have a real reason to riot.

@Young:

@LHoffman:

… combine that Luongo debacle with the hiring of John “the gong show” torts for 5 years, and you have a real reason to riot.

Yeah, to be honest he doesn’t seem like that great of a coach and tends to be more of a liability for his team/franchise. I would imagine Vancouver knew what they were getting: lots of defense and lots of yelling. Not much success.

• Sponsor

@LHoffman:

@Young:

@LHoffman:

Yeah, to be honest he doesn’t seem like that great of a coach and tends to be more of a liability for his team/franchise. I would imagine Vancouver knew what they were getting: lots of defense and lots of yelling. Not much success.

I think they’re trying to change the whole culture of how that team plays, why else would they make it 5 years when they could have got him for 2. I just feel that Van City could have gotten a new culture change toward a more shot blocking, physical team with a less flamboyant coach.

@Young:

@LHoffman:

I think they’re trying to change the whole culture of how that team plays, why else would they make it 5 years when they could have got him for 2. I just feel that Van City could have gotten a new culture change toward a more shot blocking, physical team with a less flamboyant coach.

True. I am not a Vancouver expert, but it seems like they had success with Vigneault and almost the same team they have now. Albeit, that was regular season and not full playoff success. Still, they were within 1 game of the cup. Had they won it, Vigneault would certainly still be there.

• Sponsor

Montreal lands the biggest fish in the pond… #bigcuprun

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m