RESEARCH FACILITIES - and Infrastructure - Simple rule additions

• The only problem I see is how to represent them. What peices are u guys using?

• '10

@Pvt.Ryan:

The only problem I see is how to represent them. What peices are u guys using?

If you do not have any plastic pieces then use some Monopoly hotels or houses until something better can be found.

• Good idea  :-D

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

That or put a nickel on the board.

nothing says research like 5 cents!

• INDEED! But im using $100 bills  :-D

• '10

@Gargantua:

I dont have enough nickels. How about using pennies? Just my 2 cents worth.

• @Fishmoto37:

@Gargantua:

I dont have enough nickels. How about using pennies? Just my 2 cents worth.

No thats ur 1 cent worth Fish.

• What about purchasing additional rolls for research facilities?  Maybe it could be done in a way similar to purchasing tech tokens?  Or maybe the amount of victory cities could be tied to the amount of researchers in the facility and controlling more vc’s allows you more rolls per functional research facility?  Just some ideas.  I’ve been working on some good house rules for tech since 1940 came out and I really like this idea of research working through a facility.  Thanks Gargantua.

• Dadler- what about major and minor research facilities? A Minor could give 1 free tech roll/turn while majors could give 2 or 3. You could alos have rules for strategic bombings of these facilities.

• OR, you can keep the AA50 style (like we do) and use the research facilities to give you a -1 for one dice (rolled separately)… so like, breakthrough on a 5. When captured, opponent captures a scientist. When bombed to full damage in a single SBR (complete annihilation), or a 1 is rolled (lucky shot), loose one scientist. Scientists still cost 5 IPCs. Still roll amount of dice equal to amount of scientists, keeping dice enhanced by facilities separate from dice that are not.

• @Dijitz:

OR, you can keep the AA50 style (like we do) and use the research facilities to give you a -1 for one dice (rolled separately)… so like, breakthrough on a 5. When captured, opponent captures a scientist. When bombed to full damage in a single SBR (complete annihilation), or a 1 is rolled (lucky shot), loose one scientist. Scientists still cost 5 IPCs. Still roll amount of dice equal to amount of scientists, keeping dice enhanced by facilities separate from dice that are not.

so a scientist is the equivalent of a tech token?  are research facilities necessary for tech or do they simply give a bonus?  i dont understand what you’re referencing but it sounds interesting.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Hmm I like all the ideas and enthusiasm.

Remember the purpose is to keep things simple.  Anyone playtested this yet? and how well has it worked?

I don’t mind the idea of the extra scientists, but it negates the purpose then of building more then one facility, so I wouldn’t use it.

For that matter though if you wanted to get extra technical, you could also make spy pieces to try to steal technology, or assassins - sabotuers to kill reasearchers and facilities.  Whole different game at that point though.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I sort of like that hte complexes give you restoration cash.

Minor IC - 2 IPC a round, can be captured.  The idea isn’t to replace the build cost, but to defray the cost.  The premise is that it is making pots and pans as well as munitions - right?  Selling that for cash sort of like warbonds technology.

Major IC - 4 IPC a round, can be captured but is replaced with a minor IC.  Same idea and premise.

Research Facility is kind of wierd.  Wouldn’t tech tokens be a better idea, and one people are already familiar with from Anniversary?  Maybe make it so all the scientists are captured if you lose your capitol (your tokens are handed over to the nation that took your capitol, along with your treasury.)?

• @dadler12:

@Dijitz:

OR, you can keep the AA50 style (like we do) and use the research facilities to give you a -1 for one dice (rolled separately)… so like, breakthrough on a 5. When captured, opponent captures a scientist. When bombed to full damage in a single SBR (complete annihilation), or a 1 is rolled (lucky shot), loose one scientist. Scientists still cost 5 IPCs. Still roll amount of dice equal to amount of scientists, keeping dice enhanced by facilities separate from dice that are not.

so a scientist is the equivalent of a tech token?  are research facilities necessary for tech or do they simply give a bonus?  i dont understand what you’re referencing but it sounds interesting.

Yes, tokens would be researchers.
    The research centers would give a bonus. With the AA50 style, I never roll with more than four researchers, so, as an example, I would try to build four research centers so all four of my researchers would get a breakthrough on a five OR six.

just my 2 cents

Yes, but the way I read it, the research centers would be around forever, even if you got a technology.  Whereas, the tokens dissappear and have to be repurchased after every breakthrough.

• @Cmdr:

Yes, but the way I read it, the research centers would be around forever, even if you got a technology.  Whereas, the tokens dissappear and have to be repurchased after every breakthrough.

Yup

I think that makes tokens better than research facilities then.  My opinion, your game do what you want.

• Ya, but what I’m saying is use both, the facilities give your researchers a bonus, breakthrough on on a five OR six. Just a thought, I like it, more bombing options!

• I think the point of the research facility is that you buy it once and get to roll for tech every turn for free.  I like that idea.  Why would you buy a facility for 15 IPC and a tech token for 5 IPC?  Seems redundant.  I was thinking of a way to get an additional roll, and the scientist/tech token idea works for me.  Im gonna play test the idea with the option to buy additional tech rolls for 5 IPC.

• How about instead of research facilities you just add those effects to industrial complexes? For every minor you get one free tech roll and for every major you get 2. On top of that you could still buy additional tech rolls. Maybe even keep the steal a tech thing when capturing enemy industrial complexes.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m