Preparing for Axis game OOB in local tournament - Suggestions Welcome

• Hello everyone, this Friday, my friends and I are getting together and having another tournament. It has been a long time since we have done this, since December 15th in fact, because we all have been busy with high school and things like that. Finally, this Presidents day weekend, we all have a long time off from school and are getting together for another game of Axis and Allies. We are planning on playing many games over the whole weekend from Friday to Sunday, and it will be a great time. I am very much looking forward to it.
    This time, I am taking the Axis in a OOB game of G40. If you may recall, last time I took the Allies in OOB so I am a bit rusty with the Axis but I have been making general opening plans for my game. I am taking on both of my friends who are playing the Allies in a 2 v 1 matchup.
    For Germany, I am employing a common strategy that I have come up with that has shown great success in past games and mirrors other common Germany opening strategies. I will take out Paris with all that can reach, attack the 110 and 111 fleets with allocations of forces taking a full scramble in each into account, taking a shot at 106, and sending an attack into Yugoslavia.
    My aim is to attack Russia on a G3 and I am to have between 32-36 infantry excluding Finland, around 15-18 tanks, between 4-8 mechs, and 8 artillery ready in the invasion force with one army stationed in Poland and the other in Romania. I aim to get to Bryansk around G5 for a battle in Moscow or a drive south to the Caucuses around G6-G7. I also will aim to get air power there in time, perhaps a fleet of Bombers and surviving tacs and fighters from G1. The troops in Finland and Norway will be more reactionary, seeing if I want to send them into Karelia or keep them there or transport them out into Poland before the invasion of the Russia. That is my general plan for Germany, and around turn 5 they can start spending more in the west to defend against the western powers wherever they may be in the Europe half of the map.
    For Japan, I am going to be doing The Good Captains J1 attack and J2 movement. Depending on what the Allies do, we could be looking at a J3 push into India, or the more standard capture of the money islands. Not sure what the Allies will do with the USA, we shall see if they go Pacific or Atlantic but not sure. I plan on just using air and infantry to demolish China, but to be wary of the Russians in the Far East. We really shall see where to go with Japan after J3, whatever place looks appealing to attack but keeping mindful of protecting the homeland depending on what the western allies do.
    Now for Italy, this is very dependent on what the Allies do. I am not expecting a Taranto raid and I don’t think my opponents know about Gibastion, so I expect my ships in Malta to be gone, with the British fleet to escape to the Red Sea. I know no Taranto is possible because my opponents always full scramble during G1. Now I plan on just trying to clear the Med, taking Egypt and Southern France, and taking Jordan to stop the passage of the English fleet back into the Med. I will see what to do in East Africa if they aren’t destroyed and I will launch attacks in Tunisia and Alexandria, aiming to get my bonus for North Africa maybe on I2, with the purchase of a transport and an infantry on I1.
    If there is a chance for Egypt, I’ll take it and maybe a sneaky capture of Gibraltar for the bonus. If Italy looks like it won’t be able to handle Africa, I’ll be pumping out infantry to sandbag the Atlantic wall and soft underbelly to prevent Allied incursions. I might send some fast movers to the East as can openers too and to boost the economy a tad bit.
    Well that is my general plan. I would love to hear feedback on it and if anyone has any suggestions, feel free. I have been testing my strategy on Triple A and I’ll send some screenshots of what my plan looks like to show how it has worked out so far and to help better visualize it. Thanks and have a great day!

• jacobgeo24

• The Good Captain’s J1 opener is not as optimized as the Cow playbook. Follow it exactly with attention to his updates. It gives the right amount to defend all of the fleets.

https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/topic/17005/the-japan-playbook/2

Will there be a major Allied bid, or do you play with pure OOB?

• @Arthur-Bomber-Harris We play with pure OOB, we haven’t yet done any biddings

• @jacobgeo24 assuming you do a conservative J1 and G3 declaration of war opening and don’t get horribly diced, the axis should win 95% of the time.

If you aren’t allowed to use battle calculators, get good at estimating if it is worth fighting battles. As Axis, you will almost always need more total pips than the opponent on attacks to make them profitable. Makes it easy to do the estimates.

• @Arthur-Bomber-Harris Thank you for this, I have bad luck with dice so it may be more competitive. We also don’t use calculators but I am pretty good at estimating. Thank you for the tips!

• @jacobgeo24

Some thoughts:

Remember it’s not just pips (or as I call it, power) but numbers. Only expect a successful battle if you have more pips and at least numerical parity. Or, more precisely: Don’t use 1 strategic bomber to attack 1 destroyer. I learned that the bad way.

• @jacobgeo24

Contact me if you have any questions on The Good Captain’s J1. His Youtube comments and videos he’s sent me (as well as my own personal games) help provide several dos and don’ts for his powerful, though still defeatable (if you execute it poorly) stratey.

• @SuperbattleshipYamato Thank you, this will be the first time I am doing the Good Captains J1 Attack, so I will see how ti goes and how my opponents go about combating it

• @jacobgeo24

Yeah. Just don’t get too overconfident like I did. Remember the astericks!

• Maby its better to just have fun and play the game then to have massive preparations that can go wrong with the throw of a dice.

You dont know what italy can do it depends on what UK is doing. Just play and enjoy the game dont overthink things 2 much in advance.

• @SuperbattleshipYamato said in Preparing for Axis game OOB in local tournament - Suggestions Welcome:

@jacobgeo24

Some thoughts:

Remember it’s not just pips (or as I call it, power) but numbers. Only expect a successful battle if you have more pips and at least numerical parity. Or, more precisely: Don’t use 1 strategic bomber to attack 1 destroyer. I learned that the bad way.

Depends my last game was lost because my opponent did just that.
    Because the destroyer was blocking his fleet from attacking my fleet so even mutual destruction was beneficial for him. He didnt need to win just draw.

Its not all about a single combat or even win% of a single combat. It is what that single combat represents.
    There are 3 possible outcomes in combat.
    You win, You lose, You draw.
    If losing is a minor thing but winning and drawing are major factors in your plan even 10% odds might be a good move.

Other situation. What if you got a 30% chance of destroying 3 transports that can take 3 islands. And you stand to lose only 12 ipcs ( bomber vs 2dd ). If you win you prevent him from taking 3 islands. If you lose he takes them anyway, if you draw you both lost equal money.
    If you dont do anything he also takes those 3 islands.
    You might just want to attack chances are not that great but you win a major victory while you lose only minor assets.

• @shadowhawk

Good points, but I confess I wasn’t thinking of that when I wrote the comment. I’m think of that time I wasted Italy’s only strategic bomber on trying to attack a lone French destroyer that could not have done anything significant (regarding transports) and losing. That hurt Italy hard.

• @SuperbattleshipYamato said in Preparing for Axis game OOB in local tournament - Suggestions Welcome:

@shadowhawk

Good points, but I confess I wasn’t thinking of that when I wrote the comment. I’m think of that time I wasted Italy’s only strategic bomber on trying to attack a lone French destroyer that could not have done anything significant (regarding transports) and losing. That hurt Italy hard.

Ofcourse there are bad combats and there are good combats. There are no general rules about what to attack with what.

Each combat you should consider:
    Do i need this combat
    How does this help me.
    What is my worst case

Attacking a lone destroyer with a bomber to prevent it from attacking a few undefended transports or remove a block can be worth it.
    Attacking it for the sake of you dont like how it looked at you when you took it out of the box isnt worth it.

• @shadowhawk

Agreed.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m