• Never underestimate the devastation AA can wreak!  :evil:

• we were playing a tight game of '41. I was Germany and was doing a bomber strat. UK saw an opening so they tried a berlin assault. I took a chance and left my bombers, taking inf as casualties then proceeded to roll three ones with my three bombers! back breaker.

years earlier in a game of classic moscow had fallen but germany was being bombed to oblivion by my fleet of 10 uk bombers, then his AA got hot and hit 8 of 10! game.

• 8 of 10???  In one attack?  Wow!!!

Who needs radar? :D

• It was indeed an eyepopping (and game ending) experience!

• OK, I just had one in a PBF game.

G2, attacked England with 2 infantry, 2 armor, 4 fighter, 1 bomber, 1 cruiser
    Defending was 1 bomber (Russian) 3 infantry, 1 armor, 4 fighters (but due to my clerical error, I thought there were 3, or I might not have attacked!)

It started out normal - I lost one fighter to AA fire.

Then my round one attack - 8 out of 9 hits, with one of the 3’s missing.  Yes, both attacking infantry hit - snake-eyes!

The defense was average to good, and with that extra unanticipated (my bad) fighter, I did pay the price.  But with 98 IPC’s going into G3, well, no price is too high!  :-)

• The most memorable move I ever saw went like this :

It was on the 84 version, the axis players are dominating, in a last ditch effort the american load up 1 tank on a transport and start moving toward europe, the german player dosnt even give this lone transport a second look and go on his busness as usual, then the tank is dropped on western europe, defended with 4 infantry and 2 figther. The maerican steamroll over that defense and take control of western europe. Next turn, the german send 3 tanks 2 bomber to retake his land, AA takes out the 2 bomber and the lone tank resist and humiliate the german army once more. Next american move, he tried to get southern europe but was wrecked.

Dont remember if it turned the tide of the war, but was real funny. In that game i played the japs.

• Thanks for sharing, Kilu, that is indeed very, very rare.

Desperation often produces the strange results, because things are attempted that would never be attempted in a game that is close.

Beware, when your foe becomes desperate!  :wink:

• '19

Def would be an extreme rarity. 
    odds on first battle would be about 1 in 700 million and odds on second battle much better at about 1 in 8000

• The best part of the move was the aftermath, for about a year after it happened, someone in the loosing camp would do a ‘‘Gilbert move’’(named after the player who did the move) to regain the advantage, but needless to say, it never happened again.

• +1, Kilukru

Yes, that series of moves deserves its own name, that’s for sure.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m