Game 6, Europe, TGC (Germany) v. VF (Allies)

• sorry, I put your bid in the wrong spot. I’ll re do this in the AM.

• Nah it’s fine. The Atlantic went so badly for the Germans that I think the Allies have a chance of winning this game, even with the incorrect bid. I’d be happy to continue this, you don’t often see a U-boat free Atlantic as the Allies 😁

• @VictoryFirst I’ve seen it three or four times and it is worse than doing poorly as the Germans on the east front. I feel I’m the only one from our group who understands this or even seen this but if you haven’t played a game like this, we should continue. It would be good for both of us. It would be good for me as another data point for an Atlantic fiasco.

This opener is Germany: -7.34 and the curse continues…

• @The_Good_Captain

Cool, I will start cooking on the Allied turn, however I didn’t quite understand what you were saying. Do you mean an Atlantic fiasco is worse for Germany than cold dice on the Russian front or the opposite?

I felt in my games that the main thing that held the Allies back was needing to clear the Atlantic from U-boats, which forced them to spend valuable money on boats instead of fighters/transports. Now that that isn’t much of an issue, I am curious to see how this game will play out. I haven’t played a game like this before, or at least not one with an Atlantic that was that much in the Allies’ favor. If there is anything I’d like to see it would be an Allied victory against what I call the “Unstoppable Wehrmacht” strategy, just a giant army on the doorsteps of Moscow on G6 with more than 90% of winning. I don’t like it when one side keeps winning game after game lol.

You said in a game thread somewhere that you think this game is 70% in Germany’s favor. I am curious to know your thoughts on that because I think it’s more like 85%, maybe even 90%.

• I think he means bad dice in the Atlantic is worse than bad dice in the East front on turn 1 for Germany, and I happen to agree.

It had to do with what you said. The expense of the sea units. And the subs are a huge pain in the butt for the Western Allies.

Whereas if you have bad G1 East front, it sucks, but the units are much cheaper to replace. U-boats are generally not replaceable. You’ll maybe buy one or two in the first two turns as Germany, but that’s it.

• @kwaspek104

Yeah I also think that way. There is nothing more annoying than having to hunt down those pesky subs, while Russia is in the greatest trouble. I’ve had games where the U-boats were gone as quick as turn 2 but Moscow still got sacked. However no U-boats left after G1 is new for me, this might allow the Allies to jump into the action before it’s too late…

• @VictoryFirst @kwaspek104

I feel that a terrible opener for Germany in the Atlantic is worse than a terrible opener for Germany on the east front because this means the western allies are one or even two turns ahead of where they should be. this translates to a much larger western army or armies available to save Russia or kill Germany (Whatever looks more effective). In effect you don’t only have IPC’s that are better spent as the western allies against Germany, but you have them a lot sooner than they otherwise should be.

• TripleA Turn Summary: Russians round 1

TripleA Turn Summary for game: Europe Improved

Game History

Round: 1

Purchase Units - Russians
            Russians buy 8 infantry; Remaining resources: 0 PUs; 

Combat Move - Russians
            2 infantry moved from Karelia to Finland
            1 infantry moved from Vyborg to Finland
            1 armour moved from Archangel to Finland
            1 bomber and 1 fighter moved from Moscow to Finland
            2 infantry moved from Archangel to White Sea Sea Zone
            2 infantry and 1 transport moved from White Sea Sea Zone to Barents Sea Sea Zone
            2 infantry moved from Barents Sea Sea Zone to Finland
            1 armour and 3 infantry moved from Caucasus to Ukraine S.S.R.
            1 armour moved from Turkestan to Belorussia
            1 armour moved from Belorussia to Ukraine S.S.R.
            1 artillery and 4 infantry moved from Belorussia to Baltic States
            2 infantry moved from Leningrad to Baltic States
            1 armour moved from Moscow to Baltic States

Combat - Russians
            Battle in Ukraine S.S.R.
                Russians attack with 2 armour and 3 infantry
                Germans defend with 2 armour and 1 infantry
                    Russians roll dice for 2 armour and 3 infantry in Ukraine S.S.R., round 2 : 3/5 hits, 1.50 expected hits
                    Germans roll dice for 2 armour and 1 infantry in Ukraine S.S.R., round 2 : 1/3 hits, 1.00 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the Russians lost in Ukraine S.S.R.
                    1 infantry owned by the Germans and 2 armour owned by the Germans lost in Ukraine S.S.R.
                Russians win, taking Ukraine S.S.R. from Germans with 2 armour and 2 infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is 10
                Casualties for Russians: 1 infantry
                Casualties for Germans: 2 armour and 1 infantry
            Battle in Finland
                Russians attack with 1 armour, 1 bomber, 1 fighter and 5 infantry
                Germans defend with 6 infantry
                    Russians roll dice for 1 armour, 1 bomber, 1 fighter and 5 infantry in Finland, round 2 : 3/8 hits, 2.50 expected hits
                    Germans roll dice for 6 infantry in Finland, round 2 : 2/6 hits, 2.00 expected hits
                    2 infantry owned by the Russians lost in Finland
                    3 infantry owned by the Germans lost in Finland
                    Russians roll dice for 1 armour, 1 bomber, 1 fighter and 3 infantry in Finland, round 3 : 3/6 hits, 2.17 expected hits
                    Germans roll dice for 3 infantry in Finland, round 3 : 3/3 hits, 1.00 expected hits
                    3 infantry owned by the Russians lost in Finland
                    3 infantry owned by the Germans lost in Finland
                Russians win, taking Finland from Germans with 1 armour, 1 bomber and 1 fighter remaining. Battle score for attacker is 3
                Casualties for Russians: 5 infantry
                Casualties for Germans: 6 infantry
            Battle in Baltic States
                Russians attack with 1 armour, 1 artillery and 6 infantry
                Germans defend with 2 armour and 2 infantry
                    Russians roll dice for 1 armour, 1 artillery and 6 infantry in Baltic States, round 2 : 0/8 hits, 2.00 expected hits
                    Germans roll dice for 2 armour and 2 infantry in Baltic States, round 2 : 3/4 hits, 1.33 expected hits
                    3 infantry owned by the Russians lost in Baltic States
                    Russians roll dice for 1 armour, 1 artillery and 3 infantry in Baltic States, round 3 : 2/5 hits, 1.50 expected hits
                    Germans roll dice for 2 armour and 2 infantry in Baltic States, round 3 : 0/4 hits, 1.33 expected hits
                    2 infantry owned by the Germans lost in Baltic States
                3 infantry owned by the Russians, 1 armour owned by the Russians and 1 artillery owned by the Russians retreated to Belorussia
                Germans win with 2 armour remaining. Battle score for attacker is -3
                Casualties for Russians: 3 infantry
                Casualties for Germans: 2 infantry

Non Combat Move - Russians
            1 artillery and 2 infantry moved from Stalingrad to Belorussia
            3 infantry moved from Turkestan to Belorussia
            4 infantry moved from Moscow to Belorussia
            1 armour moved from Siberia to Leningrad
            1 bomber moved from Finland to Leningrad
            1 artillery and 4 infantry moved from Russia to Leningrad
            1 fighter moved from Finland to Karelia
            1 submarine moved from White Sea Sea Zone to North Atlantic Sea Zone
            1 aaGun and 1 infantry moved from Archangel to Karelia
            1 artillery and 3 infantry moved from Siberia to Russia
            1 aaGun moved from Moscow to Belorussia
            1 infantry moved from Iran to Caucasus

Place Units - Russians
            8 infantry placed in Leningrad

Turn Complete - Russians
            Russians collect 23 PUs; end with 23 PUs

Combat Hit Differential Summary :

Germans regular : 2.33
    Russians regular : 1.33

Savegame

• TripleA Turn Summary: British round 1

Game History

Purchase Units - British
            British buy 2 fighters; Remaining resources: 1 PUs; 

Combat Move - British
            1 infantry moved from Syria to Eastern Mediterranean Sea Zone
            1 artillery moved from Egypt to Eastern Mediterranean Sea Zone
            1 artillery, 1 destroyer, 1 infantry and 1 transport moved from Eastern Mediterranean Sea Zone to Central Mediterranean Sea Zone
            1 artillery and 1 infantry moved from Central Mediterranean Sea Zone to Southern Italy
            1 armour moved from Egypt to Libya
                  British take Libya from Germans
            1 armour moved from Libya to Egypt
            1 destroyer moved from Celtic Sea Sea Zone to British Convoy 3 Sea Zone
                  British take British Convoy 3 Sea Zone from Germans
            1 destroyer moved from British Convoy 3 Sea Zone to Mid-Atlantic Sea Zone

Combat - British
            Battle in Southern Italy
                British attack with 1 artillery and 1 infantry
                Germans defend with 1 infantry
                    British roll dice for 1 destroyer in Southern Italy, round 2 : 1/1 hits, 0.33 expected hits
                    Germans roll dice for 1 infantry in Southern Italy, round 2 : 1/1 hits, 0.33 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the British lost in Southern Italy
                    1 infantry owned by the Germans lost in Southern Italy
                British win, taking Southern Italy from Germans with 1 artillery remaining. Battle score for attacker is 0
                Casualties for British: 1 infantry
                Casualties for Germans: 1 infantry

Non Combat Move - British
            1 infantry moved from Palestine to Egypt
            1 infantry moved from Iraq to Syria
            2 fighters moved from United Kingdom to Leningrad
            1 bomber moved from United Kingdom to Leningrad
            1 aaGun and 1 armour moved from Canada to United States

Place Units - British
            2 fighters placed in United Kingdom

Turn Complete - British
            British collect 23 PUs; end with 24 PUs

Germans regular : 0.67
    British regular : 0.67

Savegame

• TripleA Turn Summary: Americans round 1

Game History

Purchase Units - Americans
            Americans buy 1 destroyer and 2 fighters; Remaining resources: 4 PUs; 

Combat Move - Americans
            2 infantry moved from United States to U.S. Eastern Coast Sea Zone
            2 infantry and 1 transport moved from U.S. Eastern Coast Sea Zone to South Atlantic Sea Zone
            2 infantry moved from South Atlantic Sea Zone to Morocco
            1 bomber moved from United States to Morocco

Combat - Americans
            Battle in Morocco
                Americans attack with 1 bomber and 2 infantry
                Germans defend with 1 infantry
                    Americans roll dice for 1 bomber and 2 infantry in Morocco, round 2 : 2/3 hits, 1.00 expected hits
                    Germans roll dice for 1 infantry in Morocco, round 2 : 0/1 hits, 0.33 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the Germans lost in Morocco
                Americans win, taking Morocco from Germans with 1 bomber and 2 infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is 3
                Casualties for Germans: 1 infantry

Non Combat Move - Americans
            1 bomber moved from Morocco to Gibraltar
            1 destroyer moved from U.S. Eastern Coast Sea Zone to Mid-Atlantic Sea Zone
            1 fighter moved from United States to United Kingdom

Place Units - Americans
            2 fighters placed in United States
            1 destroyer placed in U.S. Eastern Coast Sea Zone

Turn Complete - Americans
            Americans collect 41 PUs; end with 45 PUs

Americans regular : 1.00
    Germans regular : -0.33

Savegame

• @The_Good_Captain

Btw I would be interested to see how you would play the Allies in this position.

Something already went wrong for me lol, I shouldn’t have taken Ukraine. Those units are going to be vital for the upcoming battle for Moscow…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m