• to Mac

the idea of giving axis a NA or 2 instead of bid really sounds interesting

but that would have to be the NA or 2 of their choice

but it would be good that you try a bid game

5-9
    with median 7-8 would be ok

one further advice for balancing your game would be that you give the best player among you… or the best overall player( land fighter, economist, strategist-since germany requires all of that heavily)  to play  Germany

• @macphearsome:

@i:

wow looks like your axis players are getting crushed.

Has anybody ever tried converting national advantages into tech upgrades?

how do you mean

• @Amon:

@macphearsome:

@i:

how do you mean

I think he means that for example, the USA could try to develop War Economy by paying 5 IPC’s per die and rolling a 6. Basically, replace the technologies with the different NA’s for each country.

• i just looked at the rule book but theres no war economey advantage.

• @macphearsome:

The Panzerblitz technology didn’t seem to improve the German player’s game.

I really like Panzerblitz. The main purpose is that the tanks can act as fighters to trade territories. As long as Germany uses overkill, they should be able to trade Ukraine and Belo with inf and tanks(which retreat to EE), while their fighters and a few inf will pound Karelia. This way, all the German fighters can stay on WE to keep the Allies on their toes in the Atlantic in the early rounds. The more fighters on WE, the more infantry go east.

Africa is a nice place for Panzerblitz since it basically extends a tank’s range to 3. Blitz IEA, FEq, and return to Egypt with the same tank.

If Germany holds West Russia and the Allies land a few guys in Karelia, then tanks on Germany can help take Karelia and move to West Russia in NCM.

• @i:

i just looked at the rule book but theres no war economey advantage.

Try LHTR 2.0. There are a few rule changes that fix SBR rules because of how powerful US Heavies are and they also changed the NA’s. Superfortresses were scrapped for War Economy(cheaper ships/planes by one). http://www.axisandallies.org/files/AAR_LHTR_v2.0.pdf

• @Amon:

@macphearsome:

@i:

how do you mean

I mean, take some of the national advantages and make them available as tech rolls.  For example, let anybody roll for upgrading battleships, or AA guns, etc etc

Or maybe, make a couple of unique techs that only a specific country can roll for.  For example, UK can roll to upgrade AA, or Germany can roll for panzerblitz, or US can roll for fast carriers.

Food for thought I guess.

In any case, I’m going to propose to play as the Axis next time, with two National Advantages of my choice.  If they accept that proposal, I will use the two japanese battleship upgrades and sail around in the pacific until germany gets invaded :P

• @Fleetwood:

@macphearsome:

The Panzerblitz technology didn’t seem to improve the German player’s game.

I really like Panzerblitz. The main purpose is that the tanks can act as fighters to trade territories. As long as Germany uses overkill, they should be able to trade Ukraine and Belo with inf and tanks(which retreat to EE), while their fighters and a few inf will pound Karelia. This way, all the German fighters can stay on WE to keep the Allies on their toes in the Atlantic in the early rounds. The more fighters on WE, the more infantry go east.

Africa is a nice place for Panzerblitz since it basically extends a tank’s range to 3. Blitz IEA, FEq, and return to Egypt with the same tank.

If Germany holds West Russia and the Allies land a few guys in Karelia, then tanks on Germany can help take Karelia and move to West Russia in NCM.

Panzerblitz are very cool

i personally liked Fortress Europe in the the older LHTR version

that how Germany had great inf, art, ten

• @i:

@Amon:

what do you mean by ten?

tenks hehe ;)

• @Amon:

@i:

@Amon:

what do you mean by ten?

tenks hehe ;)

tan would be gramatically beter

• @macphearsome:

In any case, I’m going to propose to play as the Axis next time, with two National Advantages of my choice.  If they accept that proposal, I will use the two japanese battleship upgrades and sail around in the pacific until germany gets invaded :P

If you get to pick, maybe take the Naval Night Fighting(2 dice first cycle). Atlantic Wall would probably be better than Most Powerful Battleships. All infantry defending on 3 first cycle in WE, SE, Germany, and EE against UK/US amphibious assaults would be very powerful. Germany is just about ALWAYS attacked by sea and is bound to have tons of infantry by that time.

• @Fleetwood:

@macphearsome:

If you get to pick, maybe take the Naval Night Fighting(2 dice first cycle). Atlantic Wall would probably be better than Most Powerful Battleships. All infantry defending on 3 first cycle in WE, SE, Germany, and EE against UK/US amphibious assaults would be very powerful. Germany is just about ALWAYS attacked by sea and is bound to have tons of infantry by that time.

Yeah, that was what germany got in the first game we tried with national advantages.  It was useful but I found it was easy to work around by shipping guys through karelia, and landing fighters in russia.

Does the naval night-fighting count for shore bombard?

• @macphearsome:

@Fleetwood:

@macphearsome:

Does the naval night-fighting count for shore bombard?

No.

• @i:

it would be cool if it did though

it would be too much hehe

be happy :)

• So I played a quick game against a friend last weekend (we agreed it was experimental and would not count towards our scoreboard).

I was the axis and picked two national advantages: naval night-fighting and nazi scientists.

The allied player insisted on also having two national advantages, so he picked colonial garrison and flying fortresses (I forget the name, it’s the non-LHTR national advantage; US bombers are immune to AA).

Colonial Garrison gave me a lot of problems!  He placed the IC in India, which I went for right away, but the allies managed to trade it for a few turns, and then the US player waited till I was in a bad situation and bought two factories in china and sinkian.

The battleship advantage was not that great.  It was fun for a couple of battles, but then the US player just avoided my battleships.  I was a few turns from opening the suez canal, and my fleet was prepared against africa, but the US player was going to provide quite a hassle.

The game ended prematurely; I suspect I would eventually have lost.  The nazi scientists got me a tech upgrade only after 10 tech buys.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m