Krieghund - Landing Russian units on UK?

• @WILD:

Should get back to where Russian units can go based on who they are at war with. My understanding is that these rules are under review, and may change w/FAQ.

one can hope.

• Hello McFly how about the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact?

You can’t just conveniently ignore the fact that both the Germans and the Russians carved up Poland in September 1939.

In fact up to the June 1941 invasion almost 1 1/2 years later the Germans and Russians were cooperative Allies in every way!

Despite the fact that France had fallen with the Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark and Norway et al,

Russia whimpered and delayed and stalled and killed Poles and ignored the suffering in the West

Did you ever hear the one about how Great Britain stood alone?

Then after 1941 the Soviets had the audacity to demand a Western Front.

There had been a Western Front since 1939!

Since 1939 the Russians were actively trading with Germany.

This was not accidental it was a deliberate policy

Now you McFlys want to ignore that for game balance?

I don’t think so!

Trains were literally crossing the borders between the two as the Germans struck East.

That is ridiculous if it changes.

It does not reflect history at all if they can do so before the Germans strike the Soviets.

……

This royal throne of kings, this sceptred isle,
    This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars,
    This other Eden, demi-paradise,
    This fortress built by Nature for herself
    Against infection and the hand of war,
    This happy breed of men, this little world,
    This precious stone set in the silver sea,
    Which serves it in the office of a wall
    Or as a moat defensive to a house,
    Against the envy of less happier lands,–
    This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.

William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616), “King Richard II”, Act 2 scene 1

• Who’s McFly?

• @calvinhobbesliker:

Who’s McFly?

in this thread, McFly would be people who think Russia isn’t in the Axis or at least NOT in the Allies until Germany declares war on Russia.

• @MaherC:

@calvinhobbesliker:

Who’s McFly?

in this thread, McFly would be people who think Russia isn’t in the Axis or at least NOT in the Allies until Germany declares war on Russia.

So, people who think Russia is neutral…like it actually was…

• Ask the 7000 or so Poles that died defending the Eastern front in 1940 if the Russians were neutral.

Or all the people that were executed in the process of making Poland “soviet”.

• @MaherC:

Ask the 7000 or so Poles that died defending the Eastern front in 1940 if the Russians were neutral.

Neutral with respect to Germany v Britain.

By your logic, Spain should not be neutral since it was at war in 1936.

• Spain’s war was over in 1939.   Franco actually pissed off Hitler by staying out of WW2, but he knew that he was screwed for support if he got into it on the axis side.   Spain had no money by 39 and no army to speak of.  Read about the Spanish Civil war and how it left Spain completely decimated.

If you want to argue about historical tweaking though, I do think that germany should have an NO of +5 IPCs from Spain if the Axis controls all of France.    They did give a few men and some raw materials to the Nazis.

There’s also this country called Portugal sitting there that might not have liked a Pro Axis spain and welcomed a nice American landing force.

• @MaherC:

Spain’s war was over in 1939.  Franco actually pissed off Hitler by staying out of WW2, but he knew that he was screwed for support if he got into it on the axis side.  Spain had no money by 39 and no army to speak of.  Read about the Spanish Civil war and how it left Spain completely decimated.

If you want to argue about historical tweaking though, I do think that germany should have an NO of +5 IPCs from Spain if the Axis controls all of France.    They did give a few men and some raw materials to the Nazis.

The US also gave much more than a few supplies to the UK. Thus, it should get a +10 NO if the US controls WUS, CUS, and EUS by your logic.

Russian war on Poland was also over by the time this game begins

• @MaherC:

Ask the 7000 or so Poles that died defending the Eastern front in 1940 if the Russians were neutral.

It’s hard to talk to dead people.

McFly as in Marty McFly, the time traveler.

• the Spain NO i was talking about would be something akin to the current NO germany has from Sweden.

• @MaherC:

@calvinhobbesliker:

Who’s McFly?

Only a little uncalled for considering no one in this thread actually suggested that Russia SHOULD be allowed in the UK or SHOULD be allowed to attack Germany first (of course not!)

• Simply me responding to another typical calvin post to just make his little post counter tick up 1.  Read the thread.  But you’re right.  I shouldn’t have replied and therefore fed the troll.

In fact I will say this.  I’m done.  If calvin replies to anything of mine with his typical LH slurping, you can’t possibly be right crapfest, I will not reply again in the same thread.

Furthermore, let me say this.  If TripleA gets up and running w/the G40 rules, you won’t have to deal w/me in these forums anymore, as I try to use them as a way to gather info from outside my playgroup.  If I can have the people in the TripleA lobby to strat with, I won’t have to wade through the calvinfest any longer.  So, if you want me gone from the forums, please donate and support TripleA.  The link can be found elsewhere in the forums, and shockingly, it is the only post of mine that Calvin hasn’t thrown his 2 cents into yet.  Maybe he should take some of his allowance money instead and throw it into TripleA.

/Retired from posting until the kid learns what a woman is

• Again, I don’t care what my post count is. In fact, I have no reason to care, since I’m already a heavy bomber. I  do not worship Larry as you imply. I recognize flaws, but I also recognize that it is difficult to make a flawless game of this magnitude.

I do not have any allowance money(if I want something, I ask my parents directly, like I did with the AA40 games).

I do know what a woman is. However, you’re probably implying that I have not dated anyone or had sex. I fail to see how this has anything to do with whether my statements about the Axis and Allies Global 1940 game are true.

Maher, just because I have a different opinion to you does not mean that I am a troll. You probably think most of my posts are “trolling”(which to you means posting anything that does not agree with you). My posts are open to you: you can see all of them. I have made numerous useful posts. For example, I have posted setup pictures of the G40 alpha setup, and I have answered rules questions so much that Krieghund deputized me(along with gamerman01) while he was gone. You also post numerous house rules that are constructive, and I do not agree with all of them; yet I do not call you or anyone else who disagrees with me a troll.

By the way, troll=/= someone with a lot of posts.

• Maher, you made some good points (and funny) about Calvin’s propensity to intrude or annoy.

Calvin, kudos for a very mature, substantive, and even-keeled response.  I agree Calvin is not a troll, nor does he obsess about his post count.  He just likes to be involved.  And yes, many of us appreciate your contributions to the site, including Krieghund himself.

Now leave him alone for awhile, Calvin - sometimes we need a little personal space.  :-)

• @gamerman01:

Maher, you made some good points (and funny) about Calvin’s propensity to intrude or annoy.

Calvin, kudos for a very mature, substantive, and even-keeled response.  I agree Calvin is not a troll, nor does he obsess about his post count.  He just likes to be involved.  And yes, many of us appreciate your contributions to the site, including Krieghund himself.

Now leave him alone for awhile, Calvin - sometimes we need a little personal space.  :-)

Thanks, I guess. That flaw of mine extends to real life as well. When someone makes a claim I find insulting or just wrong, I have the urge to respond.

• Marty McFly refers to the movie series starting with “Back to the Future”. Its a bit dated, as it started in the 80’s I believe. Calvin is half the age of a lot of the 30 somethings here, so it is reasonable to assume he may not have seen those films.

For that fact I am impressed with his level of maturity and the ability to use grammar when posting. (That is a subtle jab at his generation growing up with spell check and the like). He is an impressive young person, and demonstrates advanced reasoning skills.

His level of interest in this game, gives me hope that new generations of players may yet be found amongst those growing up in the digital age. The fact that a board game can compete with x-box amongst teenagers is promising.

I’ll just kindly excuse myself for intruding in this matter. His question seemed like a reasonable one for a young person, and I didn’t like seeing this “digital pincer move” on his post. :) It feels like standing by while Poland gets beaten up on.

(What comes after artillery on the post meter? :) )

• Thank you James.

I think tank comes after artillery. BrainDamaged sent me a PM with all the ranks and the posts needed to achieve them, but unfortunately, I deleted it.

I think it goes:
    infantry-artillery-tank-submarine-fighter-destroyer-bomber-aircraft carrier-battleship-heavy bomber. However, bomber may be after CV and I’m not entirely sure about the fighter.

• Thanks, Calvin!  I couldn’t think of his name!

MaherC, BrainDamaged is the dude who tries to get his post count up by posting like one sentence at a time.

I second what James said - Calvin is more than welcome here, even if he does post 4 times during my noncoms sometimes.  :lol:

• @MaherC:

Simply me responding to another typical calvin post to just make his little post counter tick up 1.   Read the thread.   But you’re right.   I shouldn’t have replied and therefore fed the troll.

Pfff, I was actually referring to the Shakespeare’s post in ADDITION to yours, 'cause really, his post made little to no sense in the context of the thread as he implied anyone in this thread requested that the USSR be allowed to land units in the UK based on balance, which is completely off base as

A) it’s clearly already allowed because of the writing of the rules
    B) most everyone recognizes it’s a completely idiotic loophole.

While it’s unlikely Calvin would understand the popculture reference cause he’s such a young 'un, you actually didn’t respond in anyway that anyone should construe as insulting.

But while Spain did have a volunteer force fighting soviets and trade, it was hardly as critical to Germany’s war effort as Swedish ore.  At best Spain’s additions would be worth a single IPC.  And Calvin’s not wrong - US trade to Russia and the UK would have amounted to FAR more than Spain could ever muster.

But I will agree with you on at least one thing - anyone that cares about the ranks is a little too invested in a completely trivial bragging right.

I think I’ve modified 85% of my posts so that I wouldn’t need to add another seperate post to a thread.  Like this line right here.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m