Europe 1940 shows up on Wizards site…with screenshot

• @SAS:

@Make_It_Round:

1. Italian units will remain virtually indistinguishable from USSR units in colour.
      [No suprise there… Bah!]
    2. Unless I’m mistaken, there is a USSR battleship in the Baltic Sea!!!
      [ :-D]

I think these two points are related.  Otherwise, they don’t have any Italian naval pieces on the board.

Which is more likely: A russian BB or an Italian BB moving from the Med to the Baltic without being killed by the British?

It seems to be 5 spaces from EUS-Iceland(Via Quebec and the 3 SZ’s on top), so ftrs must land there before landing in the UK.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@SAS:

@Make_It_Round:

1. Italian units will remain virtually indistinguishable from USSR units in colour.
      [No suprise there… Bah!]
    2. Unless I’m mistaken, there is a USSR battleship in the Baltic Sea!!!
      [ :-D]

I think these two points are related.  Otherwise, they don’t have any Italian naval pieces on the board.

Which is more likely: A russian BB or an Italian BB moving from the Med to the Baltic without being killed by the British?

It seems to be 5 spaces from EUS-Iceland(Via Quebec and the 3 SZ’s on top), so ftrs must land there before landing in the UK.

Oh!  I didn’t even notice that big brownish-red ship there next to Karelia, I was looking at the Mediterranean… I guess we might have a Russian battleship after all, though previous box pictures have had Russian naval units that weren’t part of the initial setup. :|

• Imperious  Leader….I  went  to  your  links  and  saw  the  advanced  AA  Europe  map…it`s  great…I  am  new  to  the  site  and  enjoy  the  conversations…my  question  is does  it  come  with  a  set  set-up  for  units?  Do  the  actual  units  come  with the  game  or  do  we  use  ones  taken  from  other AA  games?

• '10

Imperious  Leader….I  went  to  your  links  and  saw  the  advanced  AA  Europe  map…it`s  great…I  am  new  to  the  site  and  enjoy  the  conversations…my  question  is does  it  come  with  a  set  set-up  for  units?  Do  the  actual  units  come  with the  game  or  do  we  use  ones  taken  from  other AA  games?

you can send IL a personal message by clicking on his name, then click on Send personal message

• I count 53 sea zones(counting the white numbers)

I think Turkey is 2 tt

Malta is a fortress how? Does it start with 10 ftrs?

Cuba is 2 ipcs.

The red Sea is its own SZ, and the Persain gul may or may not be(the British DD or CC blocks any number there may be).

Angola spawns 2 inf if attacked

Sweden is one tt

Brazil is 2 ipcs

Algeria and Tunisis are both French, but Algeria is purple while Tunisia is blue

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@Funcioneta:

@Krieghund:

As I have said before, France will be a separate power, but it will not have a separate player, just like China.  The only difference is that France won’t have special rules like China does.

Interesting … I would do the opposite (Vichy rules, of course, not a French ACME). Are we going to have India markers?

Why would we need India markers? Just British roundels will do, since we all know that anything on the Pacific board will go to India and anything on the Europe board to the UK.

That is not so easy to see at first sight. Many will get confused and will try add west India IPCs to India total, and it’s pretty possible that West Canada IPC will be missed many times. Another point still unclear is if India and UK are going to have separate tech researchers. And for income board, it would be good have at least one India marker (it’s going to be more tricky sum the income without the board this time with so much territories here and there). In original AAP40, there was a separate aussie marker for that purpose (India and Australia had split income), so there is a precedent

• @calvinhobbesliker:

I think Turkey is 2 tt

At first, I thought so, but now I’m not sure. But yet they included the Guayanas and that’s lame: 3 territories for Guayanas and they cannot make Turkey and Spain 2 territories each one. At least Gibraltar is a bit smaller this time

Anyway, I like how America is divided. East Mexico and Panama … say bye to infs retaking the channel from New York… and it’s possible that CUSA limits with Caribe? Added with the South America split, America is going to be finally a valid theater of war. This will kill any ignore Japan strats, because Japan will have a very valid target nearer than Moscow

Now, if the setup is well balanced (at least at Revised level), we are going to have a game for ages  8-)

• @Funcioneta:

That is not so easy to see at first sight. Many will get confused and will try add west India IPCs to India total, and it’s pretty possible that West Canada IPC will be missed many times. Another point still unclear is if India and UK are going to have separate tech researchers. And for income board, it would be good have at least one India marker (it’s going to be more tricky sum the income without the board this time with so much territories here and there). In original AAP40, there was a separate aussie marker for that purpose (India and Australia had split income), so there is a precedent

I thought India and UK would be one and the same.  This would go a ways towards putting the brakes on the Japanese express.

• @Zarnak:

@Funcioneta:

I thought India and UK would be one and the same.  This would go a ways towards putting the brakes on the Japanese express.

They will be controlled by the same player and move and attack on the same turn, so all UK units will be essentially the same; but UK income and production will be split: all IPCs collected from UK territories on the Pacific board can only be spent at UK ICs on the Pacific board (namely India, as conceivably there won’t be any other ICs built by the UK on the Pacific board) while all IPCs collected from UK territories on the Europe board can only be spent at UK ICs on the Pacific board (of which there will be 3 to start: 1 in one of the Great Britain territories, 1 in one of the Canada territories, and 1 in one of the South Africa territories).

• @Funcioneta:

@calvinhobbesliker:

I think Turkey is 2 tt

At first, I thought so, but now I’m not sure. But yet they included the Guayanas and that’s lame: 3 territories for Guayanas and they cannot make Turkey and Spain 2 territories each one. At least Gibraltar is a bit smaller this time

Anyway, I like how America is divided. East Mexico and Panama … say bye to infs retaking the channel from New York… and it’s possible that CUSA limits with Caribe? Added with the South America split, America is going to be finally a valid theater of war. This will kill any ignore Japan strats, because Japan will have a very valid target nearer than Moscow

Now, if the setup is well balanced (at least at Revised level), we are going to have a game for ages  8-)

What does that mean?

I saw a gray line dividing Turkey

• It looks like each south American country will get its own tt

• it doesn’t look like the board will line up on the north american side, USA seems way too low from the top, and Canada goes from the edge of BC right into hudson bay lol. This shouldn’t matter much because i think everyone will play it lining up india.

• @cressman8064:

it doesn’t look like the board will line up on the north american side, USA seems way too low from the top, and Canada goes from the edge of BC right into hudson bay lol. This shouldn’t matter much because i think everyone will play it lining up india.

Keep in mind that the top of WUS is at a higher latitude than the top of EUS.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@Funcioneta:

@calvinhobbesliker:

I think Turkey is 2 tt

What does that mean?

CUSA seems that could have a Caribbean coast line, but I’m not sure

As for Turkey, I’m not sure yet … it could be a optic effect and I don’t see any name for that possible territory

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@calvinhobbesliker:

@cressman8064:

it doesn’t look like the board will line up on the north american side, USA seems way too low from the top, and Canada goes from the edge of BC right into hudson bay lol. This shouldn’t matter much because i think everyone will play it lining up india.

I would imagine that as professional a company as AH (and Larry H) is, they would be sure that the board lines up properly. Otherwise it would look dumb and pretty amateur. Not worth $80+. I give them the benefit of the doubt here, especially since the picture of the board didn’t seem perfectly proportional to me (same proportions as Pacific). That is probably a result of the lower resolution.

• @Funcioneta:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Funcioneta:

@calvinhobbesliker:

I think Turkey is 2 tt

What does that mean?

CUSA seems that could have a Caribbean coast line, but I’m not sure

As for Turkey, I’m not sure yet … it could be a optic effect and I don’t see any name for that possible territory

Well, there’s no name in west Turkey either.

Well, Central america has 3 tr(including Mexico on the Pacific map) instead of the normal 2
    If CUS doesn’t border the carribean, then EUS borders the Yukatan and tanks from NY can retake the canal

• @LHoffman:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@cressman8064:

I would imagine that as professional a company as AH (and Larry H) is, they would be sure that the board lines up properly. Otherwise it would look dumb and pretty amateur. Not worth $80+. I give them the benefit of the doubt here, especially since the picture of the board didn’t seem perfectly proportional to me (same proportions as Pacific). That is probably a result of the lower resolution.

Are you talking about the AH that put Honolulu on Hawai’i island instead of Oahu, who spelled Palau “Paulau,” who, on the P40 setup for Japan, spelled artillery “artilly,” who gave Japan only 6 tacs, who gave the wrong battlestrip, who made very light convoy/kamikaze markers on the board, and who forgot to put the NB/AB on Phil and put a Major IC in NSW and a minor one in NZ?

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@questioneer:

Cool pic

1. Setup is definitely not the correct one.
    2. the sculpts and even the shade of blue for France may be off- as in the P40 box for ANZAC and such.
    3. It would be nice to have a close-up of the map but at least we have something so in a month we will have more specific pics I’m sure.
    8-)

Keep in mind this may not be the correct map: on a map in the P40 rulebook, Koprea is 2 ipc’s, BC and Yukon have a british roundel and are called Western Canada, and I think some Chinese territories are wrong

Hopefully this doesn’t represent the TRUE board but the prototype-back of the box pic- almost done board.
    1. India tip doesn’t match P40 India southern tip
    2. I don’t even see the back ends of the Chinese territories.
    3. Some of the IPC numbers I’m sure are wrong and maybe
    4. even the shade of the blue for the French may be wrong along with the sculpts.
    5. darker convoy boxes will not match the lighter ones of P40

Yes, I hope these mistakes are not in the real product but being that it is Wiz boys doing the game 1 or 2 of these might be in it.

• @questioneer:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@questioneer:

Cool pic

1. Setup is definitely not the correct one.
    2. the sculpts and even the shade of blue for France may be off- as in the P40 box for ANZAC and such.
    3. It would be nice to have a close-up of the map but at least we have something so in a month we will have more specific pics I’m sure.
    8-)

Keep in mind this may not be the correct map: on a map in the P40 rulebook, Koprea is 2 ipc’s, BC and Yukon have a british roundel and are called Western Canada, and I think some Chinese territories are wrong

1. India tip doesn’t match P40 India southern tip
    2. I don’t even see the back ends of the Chinese territories.
    3. Some of the IPC numbers I’m sure are wrong and maybe
    4. even the shade of the blue for the French may be wrong along with the sculpts.
    5. darker convoy boxes will not match the lighter ones of P40

Yes, I hope these mistakes are not in the real product but being that it is Wiz boys doing the game 1 or 2 of these might be in it.

1. it could still. You’re assuming the southernmose part of India on the Pacific map is the southermost tip of India. It may continue to go down.

2. I was wondering about that too, but I guess they got cut off.

3. Which ones?

4. No, the shade seems similar to FIC

5. I’d prefer one set of easy-to see convoys than none, even if they’re not consistent
    Hopefully this doesn’t represent the TRUE board but the prototype-back of the box pic- almost done board.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@calvinhobbesliker:

Are you talking about the AH that put Honolulu on Hawai’i island instead of Oahu, who spelled Palau “Paulau,” who, on the P40 setup for Japan, spelled artillery “artilly,” who gave Japan only 6 tacs, who gave the wrong battlestrip, who made very light convoy/kamikaze markers on the board, and who forgot to put the NB/AB on Phil and put a Major IC in NSW and a minor one in NZ?

Well yes, I was talking about that company. Apparently I should reconsider my statement. Thanks for the correction. I did not realize there were so many errors. Shame on them for allowing it, shame on me for noot seeing it. I will HOPE that they get it right this time though. How much of this would you say is hasty development to get the game out, or just a lack of thoroughness in their team?

I get frustrated when there is a lack of continuity or sameness in the games. For example; the convoy markers in Pacific are rather light. They could have done better by making them more visible. But if they change it now, it won’t fit with Europe… there are other examples. It does annoy me.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m